We currently offer online tutoring through Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, a web conferencing platform. To participate, you need the following:
- Computer with a camera.
- Computer microphone or ability to call in from a phone.
- Stable high-speed internet connection.
- Google Chrome. Other browsers have issues with logging in and audio/visual components.
You must register for an appointment. Your tutor will send you a link to a Blackboard Collaborate session 10-15 minutes before it begins.
Follow these tips:
- Join from a quiet, private space with limited interruptions.
- Use a headset to minimize background noise.
- Be mindful of lighting, the background, your attire and the quality of the internet connection.
- Turn off your camera if the signal slows down.
- Mute your microphone when you're not speaking.
Blackboard Collaborate is compatible with assistive technologies. Learn more about accessibility
- Join the session. Click the link your tutor sent you. Enter your first and last name and click "Join Session."
- Navigate the session. Use the four icons at the bottom of the welcome screen to navigate.
- Profile (person): Set your status to away or interact by sharing emotions with the group.
- Microphone: Mute or unmute your microphone. If you're using your phone for audio, turn your microphone off.
- Video (camera): Turn your video on and off.
- Raising hand: Indicate to the tutor that you'd like to speak.
- Use the Collaborate panel. Open the purple tab to see collaboration options.
- Chat (speech bubble): Chat with others.
- Attendee list (two people): See other attendees. Click the three dots next to a name to message someone.
- Share content (arrow in a box): See content your tutor shares.
- Settings (gear): Check your sound settings.
- Share content. Use the share content icon to see sharing options.
- Choose "Share Your Application Screen" to share what's on your computer.
- Select "Share Files" to share your work or download files shared on the session.
- Using your phone for audio. Click on the tab with three lines in the upper left of the screen. Click "Use your phone for audio." Call the dial-in number and enter the PIN number.