Skip navigation

About the Department

aboutus

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Northern Illinois University is one of only four departments at Illinois state universities offering training in chemistry through the doctoral level. The Department of Chemistry was split off from the Department of Physical Science in 1959 (when only bachelor's and master's degrees were available), added a Ph.D. program in 1966 and officially changed its name to include biochemistry in 1998.

As of the fall 2016 semester, we have:

  • 12 full‐time faculty members (including one with a joint appointment in Biological Sciences) and five adjunct/visiting faculty members;
  • 187 undergraduate majors;
  • 47 graduate students;
  • 7 support and technical staff members

We are located in the shared complex of Faraday Hall and La Tourette Hall (formerly Faraday West) on the main NIU campus in DeKalb, Illinois.

Contact Us

Northern Illinois University
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Faraday Hall, Room 319
DeKalb, IL  60115

(815) 753‐1131

Facebook Logo Twitter Logo