M.S. in Nursing
Please note The priority deadline to apply for fall 2022 is February 15. We will continue to review applications for fall 2022 until August 15.
About the Program
The NIU School of Nursing was the winner of the 2017 Best Nursing School for Men in Nursing Award and has been ranked in the top 10 percent nationally by best-nursing-colleges.com. Our excellent online master's degree in
Our dedicated faculty includes a full-time internship coordinator to help you with your internship/clinical placements, leveraging our strong partnerships with local health organizations. Our internship program is so strong that 95 percent of our nursing graduates report securing a job within one year after graduation. Graduates go on to careers as nurse educators and family nurse practitioners.
You may pursue your master's degree in nursing either full or part-time. You have six years to complete the program from the start date of any transferred coursework. The majority of our graduate nursing students are enrolled part-time.
Program Mode of Delivery
The coursework for this program is 100 percent online.
You can choose one of two specializations: family nurse practitioner or nursing education. Both require a capstone project.
Information about specific course requirements can be found in the NIU course catalog.
Applying to the Program
Applicants must have:
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in the state of Illinois.
- A bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited program.
- A written goal statement.
- Three professional letters of reference.
- At least 2,000 hours of clinical practice experience in a specialty area within the three years prior to admission (nursing education students only).
Start your application now with the NIU Graduate School.
- Alissa Althoff, Ed.D, MSN, RN
- Derryl Block, Ph.D., M.P.H., MSN, RN
- Cathy Carlson, Ph.D.
- Jie Chen, Ph.D, RN
- Katherine J. Coulter D.N.P., MSN, APRN, FNP-BC
- Marcia Cooke, DNP, RN-BC
- Kari Hickey, Ph.D.
- Mary Hintzsche, DNP, APN, FNP-C, AGACNP-BC
- Chantal Manhart, MSN, APN, FNP-BC, WHNP-BC
- Susan Matthew, D.N.P., APRN-FPA, FNP-BC
- Elizabeth Moxley, Ph.D., RN, B.S., FPCNA
- Linda Rood, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, CHFN
- Jeanette Rossetti, Ed.D., RN
- Tanya Tanzillo, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
- Janna Woodard, MSN, RN
Why NIU Online?
We know you have responsibilities and commitments. It's just easier if you're able to take classes where you are without the commute. The good news is that with NIU, you're not alone. Your classmates and instructors are available via the same technology that helps deliver your classes. In our classrooms or in your living room, we want you to succeed academically because your future is our focus.
Program Type: Online master's degree
College: College of Health and Human Sciences, School of Nursing
Nursing education: 41
Family nurse practitioner: 50
Tuition per Credit:
Nursing education: $503.60
Family nurse practitioner: $743.60
For applicants residing in the U.S.
For international students living abroad