Gregory A. Brady
Deputy General Counsel
Areas of Practice
Including but not limited to:
- University administration and governance
- Counsel to the Board of Trustees, administration, faculty and staff of Northern Illinois University
- Academic Affairs
- Student Affairs
- Oversight of alternative dispute resolution, arbitration and litigation
- Emergency response and planning issues
- Employment and labor law issues
Greg is currently deputy general counsel and has been a member of the Office of General Counsel since 2002. He has previously served as acting vice president and general counsel, deputy general counsel, deputy general counsel for governance and administration, university counsel, associate university counsel, assistant university counsel and assistant to the corporation counsel at Northern Illinois University.
Before joining the Office of General Counsel, Greg served as a graduate assistant in the Office of the President, assisting the vice president for university relations. He also was assigned to work for the Illinois Court of Claims as an intern of the Illinois Secretary of State. For three years, he also worked as a staff member in the Office of former State Representative David Wirsing.
Greg is currently a member of the Advisory Council for the Department of Political Science and serves as a mentor for students in the Political Science Department. In 2019, Greg was the recipient of the Department of Political Science's Daniel Witt Service Award. Greg has also formerly served as a mentor for students in the NIU College of Law.
During his time with Northern Illinois University, Greg has presented at a number of conferences and seminars, including the annual Ethics Officer Conference held by the Illinois Executive Ethics Commission (2019 and 2018), the 103rd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (2017)(Selected as a "Best of the Best Session" for this national conference), and the annual Illinois Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers Conference (2016 and 2014)
Greg has been recognized with the Supportive Professional Staff (SPS) Certificate of Recognition in 2004, 2010, 2017 and a Supportive Professional Staff Award for Advocacy in 2014. Lastly, the NIU Board of Trustees passed a resolution on June 13, 2019 honoring Greg's distinguished service to the NIU Board of Trustees.
Education and Memberships
- B.S., Northern Illinois University
- J.D., Northern Illinois University
- Illinois State Bar Association
- DeKalb County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Completed training on the Illinois Open Meetings Act, Illinois Freedom of Information Act, and the Illinois State Officials and Employees Ethics Act
- Completed Awareness Training on the topics of Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct for purposes of Title IX, the Illinois Preventing Sexual Violence in Higher Education Act, and the Illinois State Officials and Employees Ethics Act
- Completed Illinois Emergency Management Agency training ICS100, ICS200, ICS3000 and IS-00700.a