Global Youth Leadership Camp
Universities and workplaces are pushing for young Americans to expand their horizons beyond our borders. The U.S. Department of State and NIU’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies are vitally interested in preparing young leaders worldwide to confront emerging and continuing global issues.
The 2019 Global Youth Leaders Camp (GYLC) will take place during SEAYLP 2020 April 18-23 at NIU, a free opportunity for selected Illinois high school students, ages 15-17, to work alongside peers from ten Southeast Asian countries, to learn about diverse cultures, to build lasting friendships, practice leadership and civic action skills, and join a three-day study tour to Washington, DC.
- Area high school students, 15-17 years old
- Currently live in Illinois;
- Demonstrate leadership in their school or community;
- Engage in community service;
- Are interested in sharing and learning with international peers;
- Show creativity, civic engagement, ambition and an ability to collaborate;
- Are academically able to miss school days required for the program;
- Are from varied backgrounds.
How to Apply
- Download and complete an application or complete your application online (see upper right)
- Provide a high school transcript
- Submit two letters of recommendation (also available online)
- Write a one-page essay on a cause you are passionate about and why
Printed applications may be submitted:
- by mail to the address on the application
- by email as a PDF to email@example.com.
Resources for Schools