Important Scholarship Tips
- Prioritize the scholarships by deadlines. Concentrate on the ones that are due first. Scholarship deadlines tend to fall between December and March prior to the academic year for which you are applying. February 1st is a common scholarship deadline at NIU.
- Treat each scholarship individually. Although you may be able to reuse essays, references or recommendations, double check to make sure that they "match" the application requirements. Do not make something "fit" just to save time.
- Ask references well in advance if they will help you, especially if they need to write a letter of recommendation. Be sure to have a brief conversation with your references so that they understand the extent of your search.
- Fill out the applications completely. Make sure that your information is correct.
- Be honest in your responses!
- Do not pad your application with extra material. While this may make you stand out, it may not be in a positive manner. Most committees do not have time to review materials that they have not specifically requested.
- Spend time on the essays. Make certain that you are addressing the question(s) being asked. Also, consider utilizing the NIU Writing Center.
- Send or drop off your application in advance of the deadline. Verify that your materials were received before the deadline.