OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL MEETING

MINUTES 9/14/06

8:30AM – Holmes Student Center 406

 

Present:    Elizabeth Buck, Judy Burgess, Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Linda Jennings,

                 Glenda Jones, Theresa Kinniry, Joe Koch, Jay Monteiro, Dorothy Razniewski, Julia Sober,

    LaRonda Thuestad, Rachel Turner  

 

Absent:     Nancy Schuneman,  Andy Small

 

Guests:     Tim Griffin, Jodi Tyrrell

 

I.                    Call to Order

 

President Rachel Turner called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 8:35 a.m. on Thursday, September 14, 2006.

 

II.         Approval of Agenda

 

A motion was made to accept the agenda.  The motion was seconded and passed.   

 

III.        Approval of Minutes of the August 10, 2006, Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes.  The motion was seconded and passed.

 

IV.        Treasurer’s Report

 

The treasurer’s report was presented for discussion. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

V.         Announcements/Correspondence

 

A.         Turner said it is not clear when President Peters will be able to attend a Council meeting.  He will continue to be invited.

 

B.                  Turner passed around the new BOT committee appointment list.

 

C.         Turner met with Tim Griffin from the Office of the Ombudsman to discuss Operating Staff concerns from the past year.

    

D.         Glenda Jones reported that flu shots will be available on October 25 in the morning and

                          also on November 16 in the afternoon.  She also said that the National Women’s Study

      Conference for young women will be held in October.  Students can be sponsored at a

cost of $38.  She also mentioned that Ethics Training will be coming up in October.

 

E.            Sara Clayton reported that the OSC group photo will be taken on October 12 at 8:15 at

             the fountain at HSC.  If the weather is bad, the photo will be taken inside in the north

             stairway.  (Note:  After the meeting, the time for the photo was changed to 10:30 a.m.)

 

F.            Jodi Tyrrell announced that SUCCS auditors will be visiting the campus the third 

            week of September.

 

G.         New Council member Dorothy Razniewski was introduced to the Council.

 

VI.        Committee Reports

           

A.                  Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits 

 

Looked at the SPS definitions of merit and concluded that it is something the Council will keep in mind for the future. The committee felt the current evaluation form itself is not bad, but it is difficult to get supervisors to complete the evaluations.  Judy Burgess said she has spoken to supervisors who find the form difficult to use and time consuming.  Clayton contacted the representative planning the Council of Councils meeting and had the topic added to the agenda.  Razniewski said that time is an issue in her department.  Evaluations get missed or forgotten. 

 

B.         Elections and Appointments

 

Clayton passed around a list of the various Operating Staff Committees, as well as University Council committees and commissions.  Representatives are still needed. It was suggested an article be placed in the next edition of the Northern Today.   

Razniewski volunteered to be on the Presidential Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity. 

 

C.         Special Events

 

            LaRonda Thuestad reported that the next StaffFest will be held August 2, 2007.  The Ballroom has been reserved. 

 

D.         Public Relations –

 

Jay Monteiro reported that the dependent scholarship deadline is September 30.  There are two applications so far. Monteiro said he will put the announcement on the e-mail broadcast list. The committee is also still working on the Operating Staff Council brochure.

 

            E.         Visiting Committees/Guests. – None.

 

F.         EAC

 

*  Clayton reported that the meeting was held August 23 at Governor’s State University. Tom Morelock updated the committee on the FY07 budget.  Also discussed was the new law regarding the Open Meetings Act.  The law now requires that 51% of members must be present at meetings.

 

*   Mark Strauss, NIU representative to the merit board is very committed to the committee. He welcomes feedback from the operating staff at NIU.  Morelock reminded all merit board members that they are also required to take the ethics training test.  Bob Curry spoke about the electronic typing test and also gave a demonstration of the typing test.  The person testing  will recieve their score right away.  The next Merit Board meeting will be November 15 in Urbana.

 

            G.         UAC 

 

Turner attended the Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and the Personnel sub-committee and the Finance, Facilities, and Operations meetings.  Several points were highlighted.

 

*  There was one request from FNCS for a new degree program.

 

*  The president hosted a luncheon for recipients of professional excellence awards including the Outstanding Service Award for operating staff.

 

*  A FY report on external funding for research. NIU is in line with other institutions.

 

 

                        Finance & Facilities Operations –

 

There are a number of capitol and infrastructure projects. 

 

*  Field House lot went from 435 spaces to 454.

 

*  There is an intergovernmental agreement for road issues on west campus. Areas west of the Convocation Center are being groomed and prepared for road construction before any buildings are built.  Student with Dependents housing is slated for construction in the future.

 

*   A grant from the Federal Highway Administration will be used to reconstruct the bridge near the Castle Drive entrance.

 

H.                  University Council 

 

Marcia Dick reported on the meeting. Highlights include: 

 

*  President Peters wants $100 million in grants.

 

*  NIU has largest percentage of minority students in PhD programs by percentage.

 

*  NIU has been rated Research/High Activity in the Carnegie ratings.

 

*  Discussed possible change to the bylaws for those professors involved in academic dishonesty.

 

*  President Peters will give the State of the University Address on October 5.  It will focus primarily on planning activities and fundraising strategies.

 

*  Provost will be in charge of creating a task force to assess  5 to 10 year strategic planning. The goal is to create a road map for the future by building on our strengths, and recruiting for donors and partnerships. 

 

VII.       Old Business

 

A.                  Meeting Refreshments

 

Jennings made a motion to continue the special arrangement with HSC and to alternate food choices each month.  The motion carried.

 

VIII.      New Business  -

 

A.                  Meeting Times

 

A proposal was made to consider changing the start time of the Council meetings.  After much discussion, it was decided the meetings will now begin at 9 a.m. instead of 8:30 a.m.

 

B.                  Affirmative Action

 

There was some concern about the fact that an employee visiting the Affirmative Action office, have to pass through the entire building where employees and others are present.  It was felt that perhaps an individual would not be comfortable being seen by others.  Tyrrell said the rear door is no longer used because of security concerns.  It was suggested that the rear door only be used to let people in who are visiting the Affirmative Action office.  Tyrrell will look into the possibility of installing an intercom system at the rear door so clients could be buzzed in.

 

 

IX.        Adjournment – A motion was made to adjourn at 11:10.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Theresa Kinniry

OSC Secretary