Journalists who want to cover government or international politics either for print or electronic publications are advised to have a strong background in these areas. Political science courses not only provide that background, but will improve your writing and communication skills.
A sampling of courses for students interested in a career in journalism:
- POLS 100: Introduction to American Government
- POLS 300: American Presidential Elections
- POLS 303: State and Local Government
- POLS 304: American Public Opinion
- POLS 305: Parties and Elections
- POLS 306: Mass Media in American Politics
Associate Editor at Inside U.S. Trade
As a journalist, you're expected to become an expert on many issue areas on the fly. NIU's political science program gave me a foundation on how our government works and interacts in the realm of foreign policy. Without NIU, I would not be where I am today.