Jason Rhode, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Instructional Technology
Director, Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center
Jason Rhode serves as assistant professor of instructional technology in the Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment (ETRA) at Northern Illinois University. His research interests focus upon the intersection of faculty development, institutional instructional technology integration and support, distance learning administration, and online teaching best practices. His faculty responsibilities include developing and teaching courses in instructional design and educational technology, advising and supervising students, serving in department, college, and university committees, and pursuing research and scholarly activities.
An experienced faculty developer, instructor, instructional designer, course developer, and program director with nearly two decades of experience in the field of online learning and 15 years experience in higher education faculty development. Jason Rhode also serves as director of the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center at Northern Illinois University. Reporting to the Office of the Provost, he oversees operations of the center and provided leadership on all aspects of faculty development training and support.
His responsibilities include planning, budgeting, supervising staff, program assessment, reporting, procurement, supervising the coordination of:
- Teaching Effectiveness Institutes every fall and spring for faculty,
- Teaching Assistant Orientation for graduate assistants every fall,
- New Faculty Forum for new faculty every fall,
- Teaching with Technology Institute every summer,
- Regular workshops on teaching, technology, and other topics every month,
- Blackboard training and consultations for faculty, staff and TAs,
- Online teaching training and consultations for faculty,
- Classroom observations of teaching for requesting faculty,
- Development and dissemination of newsletters, program schedules and web resources,
and working closely with academic and support units on their teaching and teaching with technology needs, and participating in committees.
Since joining the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center at NIU in 2004, he has been responsible for developing and offering training programs and support for faculty and staff on teaching with technology and related topics, delivering programs and consultations on online teaching and related topics, managing the center's technology resources, and performing supervisory functions at the center.
He enjoys sharing his expertise teaching with technology, including designing and teaching online and blended courses, with others.