- About the Department
- Undergraduate Programs
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Graduate Programs
- Scholarships & Giving
- Center for the Study of Family Violence and Sexual Assault
- Psychological Services Center
- NIU Collaborative on Early Adolescence
- Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language & Literacy
- Psychology A-Z
- Contact Us
- Psychology Home
Christine Malecki, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Director of the School Psychology Program
Ph.D.: University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1998
My research interests include the study of students' perceived social support and how that support is related to their adjustment and academic achievement, how social support may be important for victims of bullying and for bullies, the study of curriculum-based measurement (CBM) in writing and reading, and innovative school psychological services delivery (problem-solving and response to invervention).
FREQUENTLY TAUGHT CLASSES
- Psych 225 Lifespan Development
- Psych 653 Practicum in School Psychology
- Rueger, S. Y., Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2011). Stability of peer victimization in early adolescence: Effects of timing and duration. Journal of School Psychology, 49, 443-464.
- Rueger, S. Y., Malecki, C. K. (2011). Effects of stress, attributional style and perceived parental support on depressive symptoms in early adolescence: A prospective analysis. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 40, 1-13.
- Rueger, S.Y., Haines, B.A., & Malecki, C.M. (2010). Attributional style from middle childhood to early adolescence: Further validation of the paper and pencil version of the Children’s Attributional Style Interview. Assessment, 17, 294-307.
- Rueger, S. Y., Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2010). Relationship between multiple sources of perceived social support and psychological and academic adjustment in early adolescence: Comparisons across gender. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 47-61.
- Elliott, S.N., Kratochwill, T.R McKevitt, B. C. & Malecki, C. K. (2009). The effects and perceived consequences of testing accommodations on math and science performance assessments. School Psychology Quarterly 24, 224-239.
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Rueger, S. Y., Brown, S. E., & Hodgson, K. K. (2009). The role of importance ratings of socially supportive behaviors in the relationship between social support and self-concept. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38, 13-28.
- Malecki, C. K., Demaray, M. K., & Davidson, L. M. (2008). The relationship among social support, victimization, and student adjustment in a predominantly Latino sample. Journal of School Violence, 7, 48-71.
- Rueger, S. Y., Demaray, M. K., & Malecki, C. K. (2008). Gender differences in the relationship between perceived social support and student adjustment during early adolescence. School Psychology Quarterly, 23, 496-514.
- Rueger, S. Y. & Malecki, C. K. (2007). Group administration of the Children's Attributional Style Interview. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 36, 1-7.
- Davidson, L. M., Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Ellonen, N. & Korkiamaki, R. (2008). United States and Finnish adolescents’ perceptions of social support: A cross-cultural analysis. School Psychology International, 29, 363-375.
- Demaray, M. K., & Malecki, C. K. (2006). A review of the use of social support in anti-bullying programs. Journal of School Violence, 5, 51-70.
- Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2006). Social support as a buffer in the relationship between socioeconomic status and academic performance. School Psychology Quarterly, 21, 375-395.
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Davidson, L. M., Hodgson, K. K., Rebus, P. J. (2005). The relationship between social support and student adjustment: A longitudinal analysis. Psychology in the Schools, 42, 691-706.
- Jewell, J. & Malecki, C.K. (2005). The utility of CBM written language indices: An investigation of production-dependent, production-independent, and accurate-production scores. School Psychology Review, 34, 27-44.
REPRESENTATIVE BOOK CHAPTERS
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Secord, S., & Lyell, K. (in press). Promoting social support for crisis prevention and intervention. In S. Brock & S. Jimerson (Eds.), Best Practices in Crisis Prevention and Intervention in the Schools (2nd ed.). Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Jenkins, L. N., & Westermann, L. D. (in press). Social support in the lives of students involved in aggressive and bullying Behaviors. In S. Jimerson & M. Furlong (Eds.), The Handbook of School Violence and School Safety: From Research to Practice (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Demaray, M. K., & Malecki, C.K. (2011). The Role of Social Support in the Lives of Students Involved in Bullying. In D. Espelage & S. Swearer (Eds.), Bullying in North American Schools, 2nd edition (pp. 182-190). New York: Routledge.
- Demaray, M.K., Malecki, C.K., Jenkins, L.N., & Cunningham, C. M. (2010). Social support: How to assess and include it in research on prevention and youth outcomes. Handbook of Youth Prevention Science. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Malecki, C. K. (2008). Best practices in written language assessment and intervention. In A. Thomas & J. Grimes (Eds.), Best Practices in School Psychology-V. Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Demaray, M. K. & Malecki, C.K. (May, 2004). Aurora Communities In Schools Mentoring Program (ACISMP). A proposal to the Department of Education Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, NIU 3-year subcontract for $44,322.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (September, 2004). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Cowherd and Brady). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. NIU 5-year subcontract for $99,951.
- Nickerson, A., Brock, S., Demaray, M.K., & Malecki, C.K. (February, 2004). Enhancing the Social Support of Victims of Bullying. A proposal for the Early Career Grant to the Society for the Study of School Psychology. 1 year, $7,320.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (May, 2006). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Hermes, Oak Park, and Beaupre). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. 5 years, $149,701.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (September, 2007). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Washington, Jefferson, Waldo, Simmons). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. 5 years, $196,364.