- About the Department
- Undergraduate Programs
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Graduate Programs
- Scholarships & Giving
- Center for the Study of Family Violence and Sexual Assault
- Psychological Services Center
- NIU Collaborative on Early Adolescence
- Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language & Literacy
- The Wide Wide World of Psychology Blog
- Psychology A-Z
- Contact Us
- Psychology Home
Angela Grippo, Ph.D.
Ph.D.: The University of Iowa, 2003
Interactions among social behavior, stress, and the heart; association of depression and heart disease; animal models of psychological disorders and stress.
FREQUENTLY TAUGHT CLASSES
- Psyc 300, Introduction to Brain and Behavior
- Psyc 481/581, Drugs and Behavior
- Psyc 670E: Studies in Experimental Psychology, Social Neuroscience
- Grippo AJ, Moffitt JA, Sgoifo A, Jepson AJ, Bates SL, Chandler DL, McNeal N, Preihs K. The integration of depressive behaviors and cardiac dysfunction during an operational measure of depression: investigating the role of negative social experiences using an animal model. Psychosomatic Medicine 74: 612-619, 2012. (PMC3392416)
- Peuler JD, Scotti ML, Phelps LE, McNeal N, Grippo AJ. Chronic social isolation in the prairie vole induces endothelial dysfunction: implications for depression and cardiovascular disease. Physiology and Behavior 106: 476-484, 2012. (PMC3355378)
- Carnevali L, Mastorci F, Graiani G, Razzoli M, Trombini M, Pico-Alfonso MA, Arban R, Grippo AJ, Quaini F, Sgoifo A. Social defeat and isolation induce clear signs of a depression-like state, but modest cardiac alterations in wild-type rats. Physiology and Behavior 106: 143-150, 2012.
- Grippo AJ, Pournajafi-Nazarloo H, Sanzenbacher L, Trahanas DM, McNeal N, Clarke DA, Porges SW, Carter CS. Peripheral oxytocin administration buffers autonomic but not behavioral responses to environmental stressors in isolated prairie voles. Stress 15: 149-161, 2012. (PMC3397123)
- Grippo AJ. The utility of animal models in understanding links between psychosocial processes and cardiovascular health. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 5/4: 164-179, 2011.
- Grippo AJ, Carter CS, McNeal N, Chandler DL, LaRocca MA, Bates SL, Porges SW. 24-Hour autonomic dysfunction and depressive behaviors in an animal model of social isolation: implications for the study of depression and cardiovascular disease. Psychosomatic Medicine 73: 59-66, 2011.
- Grippo AJ, Sgoifo A, Mastorci F, McNeal N, Trahanas DM. Cardiac dysfunction and hypothalamic activation during asocial crowding stressor in prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 156: 44-50, 2010 (PMC2914185).
- Williamson JB, Lewis G, Grippo AJ, Lamb D, Harden E, Handelman M, Lebow J, Carter CS, Porges SW. Autonomic predictors of recovery following surgery: a comparative study. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 156: 60-66, 2010.
- Grippo AJ, Trahanas DM, Zimmerman RR, Porges SW, Carter CS. Oxytocin protects against negative behavioral and autonomic consequences of long-term social isolation. Psychoneuroendocrinology 34: 1542-1553, 2009. (PMC19553027)
- Grippo AJ. Mechanisms underlying altered mood and cardiovascular dysfunction: the value of neurobiological and behavioral research with animal models. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 33: 171-180, 2009. (PMC18703084)
- Grippo AJ, Johnson AK. Stress, depression and cardiovascular dysregulation: a review of neurobiological mechanisms and the integration of research from preclinical disease models. Stress 12: 1-21, 2009. (PMC19116888)
- Grippo AJ, Moffitt JA, Johnson AK. Evaluation of baroreceptor reflex function in the chronic mild stress rodent model of depression. Psychosomatic Medicine 70: 435-443, 2008. (PMC18480191)
- Grippo AJ, Wu KD, Hassan I, Carter CS. Social isolation in prairie voles induces behaviors relevant to negative affect: toward the development of a rodent model focused on co-occurring depression and anxiety. Depression and Anxiety 25: E17-E26, 2008. (PMC17935206)
- Principal Investigator, NIH Academic Research Enhancement Grant (R15); NHLBI; Mechanisms of social isolation and environmental enrichment in an animal model; $354,358 (total costs); 3 years, 08/05/12 – 08/04/15
- Principal Investigator, Undergraduate Research Assistantship Award; Northern Illinois University Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning; Social stress, depression, and cardiovascular function; $1500 (undergraduate student salary); 1 semester; 01/01/13 – 05/15/13
- Principal Investigator, Great Journeys Assistantship Award; Northern Illinois University Research and Graduate Studies Development Council; Negative health consequences of social isolation; $14,295 (graduate student stipend); 1 year, 08/16/12 – 05/15/13
- Principal Investigator, NIH Exploratory Research Grant (R21); NIMH; Behavioral, autonomic, and endocrine regulation in depression and heart disease; $388,575 (total costs); 4 years, 02/01/08 – 01/31/12