- About the Department
- Undergraduate Programs
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Graduate Programs
- Scholarships & Giving
- Center for the Study of Family Violence and Sexual Assault
- Psychological Services Center
- NIU Collaborative on Early Adolescence
- Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language & Literacy
- Psychology A-Z
- Contact Us
- Psychology Home
Lisa Finkelstein, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Office: PM 571
Ph.D. Tulane University, 1996
Age and generation issues in the workplace, mentoring relationships, humor in the workplace, newcomer socialization, obesity discrimination.
FREQUENTLY TAUGHT CLASSES
- PSYC 372 Social Psychology
- PSYC 434 Industrial and Organizational Psychology Lab
- PSYC 471 Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PSYC 616 Organizational Psychology
- PSYC 607 Psychometric Techniques
- PSYC 617 Individual Assessment in Organizational Settings
- Finkelstein, L. M., Allen, T. D., Ritchie, T. D., Lynch, J.E., & Montei, M. S. (in press). A dyadic examination of the role of relationship characteristics and age on relationship satisfaction in a formal mentoring program. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology.
- Commisso, M, & Finkelstein, L. (in press). Physical attractiveness bias in employee termination. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Allen, T. D., Finkelstein, L. M., & Poteet, M. L. (2009). Designing Workplace Mentoring Programs: An Evidence-Based Approach. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Finkelstein, L. M., DeMuth, R. L. F., & Sweeney, D. L. (2007). Obesity discrimination in employment: Further exploration of moderators and mediators. Human Resource Management Journal 46, 203-222.
- Finkelstein, L. M. & Farrell, S.K. (2007). An expanded view of age bias in the workplace. In K. Shultz and G. Adams (Eds.) Aging and Work in the 21st Century (pp. 73-108). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Finkelstein, L. M., & Poteet, M. L. (2005). Best practices in formal mentoring programs in organizations. In T. Allen and L. Eby (Eds.) The Blackwell Handbook of Mentoring. (pp. 345-368). Malden, MA: Blackwell Press.
- Goldberg, C., Finkelstein, L., Konrad, A., & Perry, E. (2004). Matching people with jobs and industries: The effects of age and gender matches on career progress outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25, 807-829.
- Finkelstein, L. M., Allen, T. D., & Rhoton, L. (2003). Examining the role of age in mentoring relationships. Group and Organization Management, 28, 249-281.
- Perry, E. L., & Finkelstein, L. M. (1999). Toward a broader view of age discrimination in employment-related decisions: A joint consideration of organizational factors and cognitive processes. Human Resource Management Review, 9, 21-49.
- Finkelstein, L. M., Burke, M. J., & Raju, N. S. (1995). Age discrimination in simulated employment contexts: An integrative analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 80, 652-663.