- About the Gallery
- Exhibition Calendar
- Current Exhibitions
- Previous Exhibitions
- Exhibition Proposals
- Call for Entries
- High School Invitational Exhibition
- Visit the Gallery
- Museum Studies Program
- Other Campus Museums, Galleries & Collections
- Contact Us
- School of Art and Design
- Olson Gallery Home
Tattoo: An American Evolution
The NIU Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies Program and ART 655 Curatorial Practice invite you to “Tattoo: An American Evolution.” View Exhibition Poster (PDF)
The exhibition runs from November 8 through November 19, 2010 in Gallery 214 in the Visual Arts Building. The gallery is open M-TH 10:00-4:00 and F 10:00-12:00.
Opening Reception & Screening
November 11, 2010
- Reception: 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- Screening: Tattoo (1981), Directed by Bob Brooks, Starring Bruce Dern and Maud Adams
Visual Arts Building, Room 100, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
November 13, 2010
Visual Arts Building Room 110: 10:00-5:30
View Symposium Poster (PDF)
- 10:00 a.m. Welcoming remarks
- 10:15 a.m. Lee Sido, Studio Division Head, NIU School of Art: The American Tattoo
- 11:00 a.m. Chris May, Tattoo Artist, Proton Tattoo Studio: Stabbing Art
- 12:15 p.m. Brown Bag Lunch, Screening: Hori Smoku Sailor Jerry (2008), Directed by Erich Weiss
- 1:45 p.m. Ellen Greene, Painter, Chicago: Tattoo as Narrative in the Artwork of Ellen Greene
- 2:45 p.m. Rachel Walters, NIU MA Candidate Art History: The Tattoo in Burmese Culture
- 3:45 p.m. Panel Discussion with Michael Barnes, NIU School of Art Graduate Programs Coordinator;
Ellen Greene, painter; Kyle Turner, printmaker, Eric Fuertes, sculptor, John Medina, sculptor.
- 4:45 p.m. Museum Studies Program Reception: Gallery 214
The exhibition and related programming are free and open to the public. Free event parking is available in the parking lot south of the NIU School of Art for the opening reception of the exhibition, as well as the Symposium.