Professional Educator License (PEL): Primary Science Endorsement
Students completing our program in one of the five disciplines (biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science or physics) will be licensed in Illinois to teach in grades 9-12.
An endorsement will allow students to teach that specific discipline at all levels including honors and AP courses. Students will also be able to teach any science discipline (biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, or physics) at the regular level of instruction.
Professional Educator License (PEL): Additional Science Endorsement
Before leaving the program, students may wish to earn additional endorsements in another science licensure area. Multiple endorsements makes you a better-rounded educator and can improve your marketability when looking for a job.
Additional endorsements can be earned upon successful completion of the following requirements:
- Complete 12 hours of coursework in the chosen science discipline
- Pass the ISBE content test in that subject.
To help you make a decision on whether to pursue an additional endorsement, refer to our list of recommended NIU courses in each of the five science disciplines.
Professional Educator License (PEL): Science Endorsement for Non-Science Licensure Students
Students who wish to get an endorsement in science but are enrolled in a non-science licensure program must complete each of the following requirements:
- Pass the Illinois discipline-specific content test.
- Complete 32 semester hours in the broad field of Sciences with a minimum of:
- 12 semester hours in the designation
- Courses in at least two other subject areas in the broad field