Below you will find information about the performance of our candidates on the state mandated licensure tests and an estimate of the additional costs incurred by candidates during licensure program completion.
Obtaining a first professional certificate or license in any profession takes a great deal of training and education, but there are some very real costs associated with it as well. Becoming a teacher requires multiple expenditures throughout your program of study and we want you to be aware of them for purposes of future planning and to help you achieve your goal of becoming a teacher. The total costs are not trivial but they are a required part of the overall expense of joining the profession; while we cannot predict all contingencies (having to take a test multiple times, needing more than one Criminal Background Check, etc.) to the best of our ability, these are the estimated costs associated with becoming a teacher in Illinois:
- Illinois State Board of Education Test of Academic Proficiency | TAP (paid to Pearson/NCS), $125 per administration.
- One Criminal Background Check | CBC (ISBE-mandated), $65 (avg. fee, although these fees vary widely).*
- One Tuberculosis Test (TB Test), at University Health Services, $10 (if you opt for your own insurance plan or use student insurance; costs higher if obtained elsewhere).
- Illinois State Board of Education, Content Test (paid to Pearson/NCS), $135 computer-based administration.
- Two Criminal Background Checks | CBC (ISBE-mandated), $65 (avg. fee), total $130.
- One Tuberculosis Test (TB Test), at University Health Services, $10.
- Illinois State Board of Education, additional Content Test for additional endorsement area or second field (paid to Pearson/NCS), $135 computer-based administration.
- One Tuberculosis Test (TB Test), at University Health Services, $10
- Teacher Performance Assessment | edTPA (paid to Pearson), $300.
- One Criminal Background Check | CBC (ISBE-mandated), $65 (avg. fee).
- One physical (from provider of your choice) $30- $70 (avg. fee).
Teaching License Registration Fee
- Once you have graduated and/or completed your program you will have to pay the ISBE $100 to activate your teaching license.
Total Costs: $1,155 over three years.
If you have any questions about these costs please speak to your program advisor, to the Financial Aid Office, or to the University Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation.
*While we have included four CBCs in our estimates, some programs are structured so that students may be required to have as many as ten, adding an additional $390. All costs for CBCs are estimates only and vary widely by placement sites.
**This requirement goes into effect no later than August 2015.
The Title II Report Card includes data from Northern Illinois University in the following areas:
- Admission requirements
- Enrollment and completion numbers
- Required clinical experiences
- Number of teacher prepared by grade range and subject area
- Licensure test pass rates
- Goals for meeting demand in teacher shortage areas
- Assurances regarding preparation to teach students with disabilities and English Language Learners
View the complete Title II Report Card informationNIU Licensure Tests Pass Rates, 2015-2016
Number of Attempts
NIU Pass Rate
State Pass rate
Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
Educator Teacher Performance Assessment (EdTPA)