Global Youth Leadership Camp
Universities and workplaces are pushing for young Americans to expand their horizons beyond our borders. The U.S. Department of State and Northern Illinois University’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies are vitally interested in preparing young leaders worldwide to confront emerging and continuing global issues.
You are invited to apply for the Global Youth Leaders Camp, April 21-28, 2018. This is a free opportunity for selected Illinois high school students, 15-17 years old, to work alongside their peers from ten Southeast Asian countries, to learn about diverse cultures, to build long-lasting friendships, practice leadership and civic action skills, and to join a study tour to Washington, DC.
We are seeking 15 young people who:
- Currently live in Illinois;
- Demonstrate leadership in their school or community;
- Engage in community service;
- Are interested in sharing and learning with international peers;
- Show creativity, civic engagement, ambition and an ability to collaborate;
- Are academically able to miss school days required for the program;
- Are from varied backgrounds.
How to Apply
- Download and complete an application or complete your application online
- Provide a high school transcript
- Submit two letters of recommendation (also available online)
- Write a one-page essay on a cause you are passionate about and why
All materials must be submitted before February 23, 2018.
Printed applications may be submitted
- by mail to the address on the application
- by email as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources for Schools