Northern Illinois University is a student-centered, nationally recognized public research university, with expertise that benefits its region and spans the globe in a wide variety of fields, including the sciences, humanities, arts, business, engineering, education, health and law. Through its main campus in DeKalb, Illinois, and education centers for students and working professionals in Chicago, Naperville, Oregon and Rockford, NIU offers more than 100 courses of study while serving a diverse and international student body.
Vision, Mission and Core Values
Northern Illinois University's vision is to be an engine for innovation to advance social mobility; promote personal, professional and intellectual growth; and transform the world through research, artistry, teaching and outreach.
The mission of Northern Illinois University is to empower students through educational excellence and experiential learning as we pursue knowledge, share our research and artistry, and engage communities for the benefit of the region, state, nation and world.
In pursuing our vision and fulfilling our mission, we value and practice:
- Curiosity and creativity.
- We provide our students active learning experiences.
- We champion innovation.
- We commit our resources to supporting students, faculty and staff in their research, artistry and professional development.
- Equity and inclusion.
- We seek and are strengthened by the diverse perspectives and experiences of our university community members.
- We use an inclusive decision-making process.
- We appreciate and respect every member of our community.
- Ethics and integrity.
- We prepare our students to become global leaders who work to build a better society.
- We model ethical behavior in and out of the classroom.
- We are transparent and accountable to our stakeholders.
- Service and stewardship.
- We serve society and confront local, national and global challenges through collaborations that improve our learning, teaching and research.
- We make accessible the knowledge and resources we create.
- We promote our students' success through advising and mentoring.
Total Student Enrollment
15,649 (Fall 2022)
- Undergraduate: 11,429
- Graduate: 3,908
- College of Law: 312
Average Student Age
- Undergraduate: 22
- Graduate: 33
- Undergraduate: 47% male; 53% female
- Graduate: 40% male; 60% female
966 international students from 76 different countries
Ethnic/Racial Categories–Undergraduate (Fall 2022)
- White: 46.52%
- Latinx: 20.22%
- Black: 17.27%
- Other: 6.76%
- Asian: 6.12%
- International: 4.58%
- Two or more races: 2.81%
- American Indian or Alaska Native: 0.22%
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.06%
Average High School GPA (Fall 2022)
Average high school GPA of new freshmen: 3.42