Gutenberg Exchange Lesson One: Basics of the WWW
Computer Literacy Objectives: In this lesson you will learn
how to navigate the World Wide Web (WWW) by clicking on links and by typing
in URLs. You will also learn how to print out a web page.
Writing Objectives: You will review four basics parts of
speech and learn an easy way to identify them.
Instructions: Navigating the Web
After you have been paired with another student by
your teacher, leave one of the computers on this page and use the
other to navigate the web. You need to leave this page on one
of the computers because it gives you directions.
- Go to the NIU Homepage by typing
http://www.niu.edu/ in the "Location" or "Netsite" window at
the top of this screen
and pressing the "Enter" key.
- Find your way back to this page by clicking on the "Back"
button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Go back to NIU Homepage by clicking the "Go" button. When you do
that, a list of addresses you have visited will appear. Click on
the NIU Homepage address.
- Return to this page by typing this page's address in the
"Location" window at the top of the page. This page's address is
- Return to the NIU Homepage by clicking on the little box just
to the right of the "Location" or "Netsite" window. A list of addresses
you have typed in the window will appear. Select the NIU Hompage.
- Return to this page by following a series of links. You activate
a link by moving the cursor to underlined (and colored) words. When
the cursor is on the link, the arrow turns into a hand. To activate
that link (this will take you to another page), you click the left-hand
button on the mouse. The series of links is as follows:
- Academic Departments
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- The Gutenberg Exchange
- Lesson One
- Go to the English Homepage by using the "Back" button. Find a
link to the First Year Composition Program and click on it.
- After viewing the First Year Composition Homepage, use the "Back" button until
you get to the Gutenberg Exchange Homepage. Ignore the table on that
page and activate the other links, returning to the Gutenberg Exchange
with the "Back" button after view each page briefly.
- Return to this page by clicking on "Lesson One" in the Gutenberg
Instructions: Printing a Web PageLeave one of your computers
on this page so that you can read the instructions.
Fill in the ID Form and keep it for yourself. Bring it to class next
- Go to Parts of Speech Worksheet by clicking
on the hypertext link in this line.
- Print two copies of the Parts of Speech Worksheet (one for each of you).
You print a page which is showing on
your screen by moving the cursor to the "Print" button just to the right
of center at the top of the page. Click on the "Print" button, and
answer the questions that appear in the pop-up windows.
- Go to Student ID Form, and print two copies.
- Return to this page and go to the printer to pick up your copies
of the worksheet and the ID Form. Do not leave this page until you have two
printed copies of both.
- If you have time, register your student ID and activate your E-Mail
account. You do that by clicking on
Student Access to
NIU Computer and Telecommunications Facilities and following the
- Once you have the worksheets and ID Forms, you may exit Netscape on both
computers by clicking on
the little box in the uppermost left-hand corner of the Netscape Screen and
- Logout of the system and turn off your computers.
- Fill in the Parts of Speech Worksheet and hand it in to your
You will need a formatted disk for next time, so buy one and bring it.
Make sure it is compatible with your computer (Mac or IBM).
Return to Gutenberg Homepage