Writing Assignments Checklist
What's my purpose in making this assignment?
How will I judge the results?
- What do I know about the students?
- Will the students understand why I'm making this assignment?
- Is the assignment divergent?
How will it help the students?
- Can I assess consistantly?
- Have I given the students enough information?
- What structure do I want?
- Am I looking for a finished paper?
- Can I stand to read 100 of them?
- Will it be graded or ungraded?
What is the rhetorical situation?
- Will it stimulate thinking?
- How much time will it take?
- Will they like it?
- Will they be motivated?
- Will it create conflict?
- Will it draw on their experience and knowledge?
- Are the students prepared?
- How do I prepare the students for this assignment?
What is the relationship of this assignment to the others?
- What role does the writer inhabit?
- Who is the reader?
- What will the reader do based on the document?
- What is the situation that calls for the writing?
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
All contents copyright (C) 1997. All rights reserved.
Revised: April 7, 1997