

TRANSCRIPT

FACULTY SENATE

Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 3 p.m.

Holmes Student Center Sky Room

VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: Arado, Beyer, Buck, Burton, J. Chen, Chomentowski, Clark, Collins, Creed, Demir, Duffin, Dzurian (for Riley), Farrell, Grund, Hanna, Horn (for Zheng), Hua, Jaekel, Johnson, Jong, Joy (for Hanley), Keddie, Kuehl, Lampi, Littauer, Macdonald, Millhorn, Montana, Pendergrass, Penrod, Petgas, Polansky, Powell, Qin, Schatteman, Scherer, Schraufnagel, Sharp, Shi, Siegesmund, Sirotkin, Skarbinski, Slotsve, Staikidis, Subramony, Surjadi, Tataru, Than, Thu, Vahabzadeh, Villanueva, Whedbee, Wilson, York

VOTING MEMBERS ABSENT: Bateni, Bennardo, Bujarski, G. Chen, Chmaissem, Duffrin (for McCarthy), Fredericks, Gau, Hanley, Ito, Johnston-Rodriguez, Konen, Koss, Martin, Mayer, McCarthy, McGowan, Millis, Mooney, Moraga, Nelson, Newman, Rau, Riley, Weffer, Zheng

OTHERS PRESENT: Bryan, Edghill-Walden, Groza, Klaper, Royce, Salmon, White

OTHERS ABSENT: Doederlein, Falkoff, Ferguson, Gelman, Marsh, Kortegast, Woodruff

I. CALL TO ORDER

K. Thu: Calling the Faculty Senate meeting to order. Welcome everybody.

II. ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA

K. Thu: I'll entertain a motion to adopt the agenda.

T. Arado: So moved.

K. Thu: Therese. Second? Richard [Siegesmund]? Any comments, suggestions, deletions, edits? All in favor, signify by saying aye.

Members: Aye.

K. Thu: Opposed? Abstentions? Okay, thank you.

III. APPROVAL OF THE JANUARY 22, 2020 MINUTES

K. Thu: Approval of the minutes from January 22; motion to approve? Patricia [Skarbinski]. And Richard [Siegesmund], you came in second again, Richard. Any comments, suggestions for the minutes? As always, Pat does a great job of putting those together. So all in favor, signify by saying aye.

Members: Aye.

K. Thu: Opposed? Abstentions? Thank you.

IV. PRESIDENT'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

K. Thu: I have a few president's announcements. As you may remember from the January 22 meeting, at the end of the meeting, a fire alarm went off as we approached the last agenda item. And it turned out to be somewhat humorous, but also quite serious. It turned out to be a false alarm but, of course, we didn't know that at the time. And we all had to scurry down the narrow corridors from this top 15th floor. A couple of you contacted me by way of follow-up, because I certainly didn't know what the policy was for those who are not mobile, what you do if somebody can't walk down the stairs. So I have been in communication with Police Chief Tom Phillips about that. And the policy for evacuation is included in your list of information items, item U. So there are three different documents there that speak to how you evacuate. The bottom line, though, is that, if someone is not mobile and cannot get down the stairs, we try to get them as close to the stairwell as possible and then contact the first responders for them to come and get that person. I didn't know that, and so it's up to the first responders. I didn't even know how do you do that, how do you contact the first responders? Well, you call 911 again and tell them exactly the location of someone that needs to be rescued. So that's really the policy. Tom Phillips was already scheduled to be on the agenda for next Wednesday's UC meeting, so he can respond to that in more detail. But that's the essence of the matter.

Okay, what else here? The Working Papers, the University Working Papers, have been posted on the University Libraries website. I ran into Dean Barnhart yesterday, I think it was. And I don't know, Jim [Millhorn], if you can share exactly where they're posted.

J. Millhorn: [inaudible]

K. Thu: Okay. That's it. That's what he mentioned.

J. Millhorn [inaudible]

K. Thu: Okay. So we've got those posted electronically for anybody who was interested in getting them.

Also I wanted to just reiterate the importance of the notice for an IT survey that you got earlier today. A number of us have been working on the need to upgrade classroom IT or classroom smart devices. And I've been in conversations with a number of faculty, including George [Slotsve]; ongoing conversations with the provost and the CFO about short-term classroom needs and longer-term classroom needs. And out of that conversation has come this survey to get a broader picture on IT needs campus-wide. Please respond to that. We really need to know what the needs are. I would also add that, if you are having particular classroom problems with technology, contact me, because I've been asked, can you sort of prioritize which classrooms are most in need. Now a lot of this conversation has revolved around DuSable thus far, because there are obviously challenges in

DuSable for those of us who've taught in there. But it could apply to any classroom. And so please contact me directly if you're having IT problems in classrooms in any building around campus. But again, please respond to the IT survey, which I think you're going to get on Friday if I remember correctly.

Also an announcement has gone out, I think as of Monday. We're trying to find a new faculty personnel advisor. I believe that announcement is in your packet. So if you're interested in the faculty advisor position, please feel free to contact me. What is the deadline for that, Pat.

P. Erickson: I think Richard [Siegesmund] will cover that in his report.

K. Thu: Oh, that's right. We'll cover that later. And then, as you all know, it's already on your calendar, tomorrow is World Anthropology Day. So, you're welcome to join us over in the Stevens Building. There's a day-long series of events that's going to occur there. So Mini-Mission and Mission are going to be there, and we're going to have a good time. So, feel free to meander through Stevens tomorrow if you're so inclined.

Okay, I think that's all of my announcements.

V. ITEMS FOR FACULTY SENATE CONSIDERATION

A. The Bob Lane Faculty Advocacy Award
Faculty Senate will vote on the recipient during the February 19 Faculty Senate meeting. The recipient will be honored at the March 25 Faculty Senate meeting.

1. Nomination – Richard Siegesmund
2. Nomination – Fred Markowitz

K. Thu: All right, Roman numeral V. Items for Faculty Senate Consideration, the Bob Lane Faculty Advocacy Award. And before we vote on this, I'm going to turn the floor over to Richard Siegesmund, because he wants to say a couple words about this.

R. Siegesmund: First, I would just like to thank George Slotsve for nominating me, and others who have supported this. My wife is thrilled that somebody noticed the service that I do at this university. But I do think that the faculty union has really made an extraordinary contribution this year. And I would like to withdraw my nomination so that we can support Fred Markowitz by acclamation.

K. Thu: That's very magnanimous of you. Thank you very much, Richard. I assume that, George, you agree to have your nominating letter withdrawn? Okay. All right, so now we have one nomination remaining, the nomination of Fred Markowitz, for the award. If you haven't read the letter on page 10, I'll give you a minute to do so. Very well crafted coming from Jason Hanna. Jason, are you here somewhere? Oh, you're right in front of me. So, if you want to take a quick look, and then we'll call for a vote. I think we can do this as a voice vote. I had the privilege of sitting in on some of the negotiating meetings, and Fred did a marvelous, masterful job in those sessions. And you couldn't have asked for someone who's – that's not to say Beatrix didn't do a

great job, as well, but the bulk of it rested on Fred's shoulders. So with that, I think, do we need a motion? Okay, we'll entertain a motion to approve Fred Markowitz as the awardee.

J. Wilson: So moved.

K. Thu: Jim Wilson, who is a past recipient. Katy, second. Any discussion? All in favor, signify by saying aye.

Members: Aye.

K. Thu: Opposed? Abstentions? Congratulations, Fred. And if you – I think he's on sabbatical this year, is he? He's here? Well feel free to congratulate him on your own, but we'll certainly have an awards ceremony for him at the next meeting.

- B. Conceptualizing Equity at NIU
Vernese Edghill-Walden
Senior Associate Vice President for Academic Diversity and Chief Diversity Officer

K. Thu: So that brings us to Item B. Conceptualizing Equity at NIU. We have, for the first time in Faculty Senate, as I discovered in conversations with Vernese, we've invited the chief diversity officer to come to Faculty Senate and talk to us. Vernese joined NIU in August of 2015. It seems unbelievable, but she's been here for four-and-a-half years. And we have a number of diversity and equity issues that are challenging at NIU, as they are elsewhere. And I have to say that last evening there was a Diversity Dialogues event, as part of the 125th anniversary celebration for the university, and it was absolutely wonderful. It was very touching, moving and also informative. I want to invite Dr. Edghill-Walden to come up. If you want to take a microphone there, Vernese, or if you want to come up, it's up to you, whatever's most comfortable.

V. Edghill-Walden: Hi everyone. I want to make one slight correction. I think I have been here one time before, but it was to present on the human diversity requirement. What I have not done was to present on all of the things that we are doing around diversity, equity and inclusion, which I would love to come back and do that. That is what I have not done.

So, today I have [inaudible] and that is to talk with you about getting feedback on an equity definition. And if you have been in any other college-level faculty meeting or operating or any meeting where you've heard this before, just bear with me, because this is my second-to-last presentation since January. So, I'm sure at least some of you have heard this presentation before.

We have been working on equity issues for quite some time, in particular since I arrived in 2015. And we started with the Association of American Colleges and Universities, and really went to Florida to an equity academy where they really helped us frame how we were going to address equity gaps. With that information, we have been able to work with many of you [inaudible].

In 2015, we started looking at equity gaps. We talked about looking at them at the college level and the course level. Ed Klonoski and Greg Barker – the three of us really – started to work in 2015. We worked with the colleges, the deans, to really look at this data, and have since then created a lot of

different plans and have had a lot of different discussions, which I'm sure many of you have been a part of.

As a result of that continued work, we also started working with the Partnership for College Completion, which unlike the Association of American Colleges and Universities, is a state-wide, not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to closing equity gaps in the state of Illinois. We are one of 26 institutions in the state that are part of what they call the Illinois Equity Attainment Initiative. And it is designed for all of these schools that are involved to look at ways to close equity gaps, increase student outcomes, and provide successful outcomes for our students on campus. And in particular, this particular group has zeroed in on Latino, African American and rural students. And that is their agenda for the state.

Part of the work that we've been doing has really focused in on equity and inclusion. And the plan, itself, calls for us to define equity. And more so than just checking a box on what the plan has asked for, we want to make sure that NIU has its own framework, understanding of what equity means to us at NIU.

So, we started in January, well actually in the fall of 2019, the Committee on Academic Equity and Inclusive Excellence, which at one point was called the Committee on Multicultural Curricular Transformation, came together, and they have a subcommittee on equity. This subcommittee developed a draft definition that you will see today. We're asking that between, well since January and now, we have done presentations to all shared governance organizations. And if I missed one, please tell me, I will go. We've gone to student orgs. We have gone to Operating Staff [Council], SPS Council, commission meetings. Like I said, this is number 24 on the list since January. And it is really important to us that everyone has an opportunity to weigh in on this definition. We will also put out an article in NIU Today, which will have the link to the definition for anyone that has not been in these meetings ,or you haven't been forwarded this information buy a colleague, for you to be able to provide your feedback on this definition. The Qualtrics feedback window will close on March 6. And from March 6 until April, the subcommittee will work on compiling all of the feedback that they received, and develop a revised definition, because what you're going to see today is the very first rough draft.

The committee wanted to make sure that the narrative provided an example of what we meant by some of the concepts in the definition. So, in addition to the definition, there is a link in the Qualtrics that will take you to a narrative about what we mean by barriers, what we mean by underrepresented groups, which you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the definition. We wanted to make sure that it was clearly distinguished between equality and equity. We wanted to make sure that it was actionable and student-centered. And I say student-centered, because a lot of times when we talk about equity, there's salary equity, there's home equity. We're talking strictly about how we can support students in an equitable way. So it's a very student-centered statement. It's focused on outcomes and graduation as a goal. And we wanted it to be organic in that, if in five years we see that we have outgrown the definition, we want to be able to come back to it and revise it as necessary.

In the past, we have used other scholars' frameworks to explain equity on campus. Many of you might have heard terms like equity-mindedness, deficit-mindedness, which is coined really by Dr.

Estela Bensimon. And then in August of last year, we had Dr. Frank Harris on campus, who also has another variation of his definition for equity. And so typically we have used these definitions in the past, but like I said in the beginning, we really want to make sure that we shape our own. And so this was how we started, but we want to evolve into our own definition.

I'm sure many of you have seen this picture, this visual. This really provides a visual depiction of the difference between equality and equity. I use this visual in this presentation, because a lot of times in conversations on campus, I always hear that equality and equity are sometimes used as the same word, and they're not. And I know that you know that. But this, I think, helps to really visualize the difference between the two. And so if we treat everyone the same, and we give everyone those same boxes, then there is still someone that is not able to see over that fence. And the end goal is to be able to see the game.

If we were then to provide the boxes to the people that needed that box or that resource to be able to see the game, then everyone is still being able to accomplish the goal, but some might need additional supports rather than others.

I think this other visual takes us to where we, at the end of the day, at the end of this journey that we're on, that we want to get to. And it is really re-thinking whether we even needed a wooden fence at all. And the idea of needing a wooden fence is steeped in possibly the way we've always done it. But creating a new fence really provides an opportunity for us to really look at things very differently. I don't think we're there yet, but as I said, we're on a journey. But I think it's a good example of how we can move toward equity and justice.

So, here's the definition. Equity means being purposefully focused on eliminating barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and socio-emotional development of underrepresented student populations in order to improve student outcomes and experiences at NIU.

As I said, this is the first draft of this definition. I would love for any and all of you to weigh in, provide your feedback on the definition through the Qualtrics. After this presentation, Pat is going to – if you haven't already – do you have this already? Okay. So Pat will send this out to everyone. And this is the link that you'll get. And we'll actually send you an email, Pat, that will have in the body of the email this link, as well as this PowerPoint. And my ask today is that you go in, use the link, review the definition, review the supporting document that goes with it, and then provide us feedback on what you think could be altered, changed. Here's your opportunity to wordsmith. If you wanted to add or subtract or just provide some philosophical opinion about what you think is good or bad or could be improved upon in this statement. We have gotten, so far, probably about 70 to almost 80 responses on this feedback thus far. And I would love to get more.

So, this is the definition, and as I said, you will get the link. And if you have any questions, I can take some questions now.

K. Thu: Yes, we have a couple minutes for questions or comments.

V. Edghill-Walden: Questions or comments now. But again, my ask at the end of this is that you spend time looking at it, and you also engage your colleagues and students. We really want students

engaged in this as well. So if you want to share this with your class and ask them to provide feedback, that is welcome as well.

K. Thu: And if you remember, last fall, we went through an exercise of trying to identify what the priority issues are for faculty. And equity was among the top five. Any comments or questions? I'm certain you can contact Vernese directly in addition to filling out the survey. George?

G. Slotsve: I was just curious, do you have anything or procedure for identifying what the barriers are. I mean, you're saying barriers, but we're going to need something more than just a general term, barriers. How are you identifying what are the priority barriers that students are facing. That would be probably very useful.

V. Edghill-Walden: In the complement document, defines what we mean by barriers. But if we're talking about specific to NIU, what are those barriers, some of those barriers could be our policies or our practices that are not very student-friendly. I can think of a few that I think we should spend the time to rethink or consider whether they are really beneficial for all of our students. And so our hope is that, once we have solidified this definition, there are clear strategies in our SEM plan, our Strategic Enrollment Management Plan, and in our equity plan, that directly relate back to strategies that we believe would support student success. And some of those things are like the SAT/ACT (I'm from the east coast; I've thought about SAT for a long time), ACT/SAT standardized test scores as being a barrier. It potentially has been a barrier for admissions. And we know for sure it has been a barrier to receive merit scholarships. And so, if you're removing that particular barrier, then it opens up the opportunity for students that had the GPA, but did not have the test score to get that aid, now have the opportunity to get that aid, because they've all along had the 3.0 or higher. So that's an example of some of the barriers.

G. Slotsve: I guess I'm thinking of some of the barriers that students may face actually in the classroom. And it would be useful to have a list of some of those for us to look at, because it may not hit my radar that somebody else has already identified. So it's that type of thing as well that would probably be useful.

V. Edghill-Walden: Okay, want me to talk about some now or do you want your recommendation

G. Slotsve: I'm just double-checking there'll be a procedure that you'll be letting faculty know: Here are some of the issues that you're facing in the classroom, defining what the barriers are at some point.

V. Edghill-Walden: I'm going to ask that you write that in the feedback or send me an email, just so that I remember, because there's another similar suggestion that we got and that is – and I thought that that was where you were going – so I apologize if I didn't quite answer the question. A lot of people ask, so when we get this definition, what tactics are going to go with this? And I thought that that was where you were going. And so the idea is that we have strategies and we have tactics that we believe support equity. And so our goal is to align the definition with those tactics. And it may be that we have to come up with new ones or additional ones. But the idea is to link both of those together.

G. Slotsve: And this is also kind of a best practices for the classroom that I'm thinking you're going to try to eliminate some of the barriers if we've identified, okay, what are some of the best practices. And rather than every faculty member running around and trying to figure out what it is, it would be useful to have some of that information provided.

V. Edghill-Walden: Thank you. I appreciate that.

K. Thu: We have a heavy agenda. I don't want to cut – this is very important conversation – but we have a heavy agenda today, and I want to get you out of here by 4:30. Certainly, we can invite Vernese back as part of an ongoing conversation about these issues. So, thank you very much.

V. Edghill-Walden: Thank you all.

C. CENSUS 2020
Jeffrey Salmon
Dean of Students Office
Military and Post-Traditional Student Services

K. Thu: So next we have another guest, Jeffrey Salmon, from the Dean of Students Office. He's going to talk to us about the all-important Census 2020. So, Jeffrey, take it away.

J. Salmon: Thank you for having me out. Again my name is Jeffrey Salmon. I'm with the Dean of Students Office. I've been here at NIU since 2013. You are my final presentation. The last month or so, I've been talking to all the shared governance. I've had colleagues, part of my team, that have been working to bring the census to NIU. Since the summer, I've also talked to student orgs, fraternity/sorority life, CAs, so we're really trying to make a push, along with the city of DeKalb to get as many of our students, faculty and staff as we can to complete this year's census.

So just some of the things about the every-ten-year census. It counts the populations in the households, provides our funding for various different social services, education, transportation. Also goes to our congressional seats, having appropriations for that, public policies, health services, healthcare. So, impacts a lot and impacts a lot of money that would be distributed to DeKalb.

So, the benefits again for our specific community: It helps them get a count of who's in the community, so it will impact restaurants, businesses, the things that will be created in the next ten years. Again, public safety, schools, hospitals. And it helps, kind of lets places know where people will be moving in so they can be building new homes and neighborhoods.

For our students, it's very important that we continue to talk to them about determining the census helps determine financial aid to colleges and universities. It also helps impact social services. We know a lot of our students have a lot of various different needs. And sometimes the university and Student Affairs can help. But sometimes they need to be referenced outside to the community. So again, the census will directly impact the amount of money and stuff that will be given to help build up our social services that our students can use. And then finally, it will also affect the representation in the house.

On average, the state misses out on about \$1500 per person per year that does not fill out the census. So, we're asking all of you to help us communicate this to our students, and again, other faculty, staff, other community members, to please fill it out. Make a push for it.

The census hasn't happened yet. That's very important. Some people have been getting scam emails already, so please be on the lookout. They are going to be emailing census codes, because you will be able to fill it out online initially this year. So, about mid-March, they're sending out census codes to families. And then in April, they'll send out the paper copies to be filled out. They're not going to be emailing you to fill out the census. So, if you're getting something in the email about filling out the census, that's most likely going to be a scam. So, please, we want to make sure our students know that it's not happened yet. And it's not going to be asking for social security information, credit card information.

And again, the census will go live in the middle of March. National Census Day is April 1. The census will also not ask about citizenship. The data will be confidential and be protected by federal law and will not be shared with other entities within the government, like law enforcement or immigration. And it's very important that everyone be counted.

There will be one code per household and nine questions on the survey. Our residence halls will be getting one code. Neptune Hall will be getting one code, and it's up to us to get as many students within each residence hall to fill out that form. Because students spend most of their time here in DeKalb, and on National Census Day, they're here in DeKalb, the government will recognize them as DeKalb. Even if their parents back home in Naperville fill them out as part of the family household, if we can get the student to fill out here in DeKalb, the census will move them to DeKalb. They won't be double-counted. They will be x'ed out and moved to DeKalb if we can get them to fill it out themselves.

Here is some of the timeline for it.

K. Thu: We had a question at that point.

A. Keddie: But you may be about to answer it. You said Census Day was April 1. So I was wondering if that was the deadline, but

J. Salmon: No, no, no, there are various different deadlines. April 1 is like a National Census Day that you'll be seeing communities throughout having events. There will be a lot of events put on in the DeKalb Community. That's when our census events are coming out. The dean of students' office is working with various different entities to have various, like four or five, application or fill-out completion events. And the first one starts on April 1. So, we'll be hosting completion events, and I think Marketing and Communications is sending something out very shortly that starting April 1, there will be completion events set up in the library and here in the Holmes Student Center. We'll have computers set up so people who have their codes – and don't quote me on it, because the government changes – but I think if they don't have their code, there's a way to look it up based on your address so you can get your code. But that kind of changes, and we get some weirdness. The census folks update us pretty much every day, and sometimes they're contradictory about that.

If you know people that maybe don't have great Internet access and want to come to campus, they're more than welcome to come along with our students and complete the census at the library or here in the Holmes Student Center. There will be some off-campus events, I forget where the city of DeKalb, a couple of churches and entities that they're partnering with to have completion events as well.

So, again in April, we'll start from April 1, we'll start to send out the census to be completed by paper. So, if that's your preference and you don't want to go online, April will be when they'll start sending out the census in the mail. And then later in the month, they'll start going door to door.

So this is just an example of what the form will look like. And again, I can share this with the appropriate entities later if you would like me to. Again, name, age, Hispanic, Latino, Spanish, origin, race. So, about nine questions to fill out, and then, again, you're supposed to fill it out for your household. But again, with our students, if we can get them to complete it here, Neptune will have its own code, Grant will have its own code, Stevenson will have its own code. So, if we can get them to fill it out while they're here on campus, we'll attach them to the code of that particular residence hall.

Where it gets complicated is fraternity and sorority houses, nursing homes, homeless shelters, because again, they'll have specific codes that they have. It gets kind of complicated with our students living in off-campus apartments. Yes?

K. Jaekel: This is great timing, good news. To add further complication, what type of outreach are we doing for our trans students who are going to see that there is only the binary biological sex. Yep. And see themselves not on there, and then we risk them not finish filling that out. And if we take seriously that these resources get allocated to the DeKalb area, and certainly our trans students need these resources, have we reached out to them to say: Hey, friend, good news, still fill it out.

J. Salmon: We've been working with each of the cultural resource centers. I'm not specific on that question, so I apologize that I don't have a great answer. But I will check with Meg. Meg Junk's leading the committee. I will check with her to see what we are doing.

K. Jaekel: I wonder if we should partner up with the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, and is it possible that Molly can do some work around that, along with maybe PRISM [inaudible] so that those students fill this out.

J. Salmon: I know we've been working with the undocumented student services, because they've also had some specific questions, but I will bring this to the attention of Meg to make sure that is on our radar.

K. Jaekel: Thank you so much.

J. Salmon: As I was saying, one of our other challenges is off-campus apartments, because I'm not sure if they are getting codes emailed directly to them, or if the code is going to the landlord, and they're supposed to disburse it. So, there is some work on our end to try to get the students living in off-campus apartments to complete that as well as some of these other groups.

Again, what we're doing with our on-campus students. So, again, we've been working with the residence halls, working with CAs and scheduling completion events to help get as many of them as possible completed.

And again, we know of the hard-to-count populations. And the committee and the city of DeKalb, you know, we're working very hard to try to reach these populations through our completion events to best get them counted as well. But I will double-check for you.

K. Jaekel: Thank you.

J. Salmon: Again, we've had the census out a couple of times to campus to recruit our students who would like to work with them. I was at one last month at the College of Business. I know they have been out to the Rec Center, and they were actually today at the Internship Job Fair out at the Convocation Center.

And again, our main contact for this committee is the chief of staff out of the dean of students' office, Meg Junk. So if you would like to follow up, she would probably have the best answers, because she is immersed in this on a daily basis. Any questions?

K. Thu: We have a couple minutes for a couple questions or comments.

J. Salmon: I didn't know how much time I had, and I didn't want to run long.

K. Thu: The binary response – I don't know whether we – I mean, many years ago, anthropologists were involved in helping to change the ethnicity/racial categories to open it up and be more flexible too, so that people can identify. Can we provide feedback on the gender identity categories as well? I know you're not in control of the questions, but you know, getting feedback from these groups is important. Go ahead Linda.

L. Saborío: Is it available in a language other than English?

J. Salmon: Let me check.

K. Thu: I think that's an I don't know. So we can get back to you.

J. Salmon: Yes, let me follow up on that as well, if it's available in other languages.

K. Thu: Other questions or comments? I know that there are a number of states around the country that are not providing resources to support the census, and Illinois is not one of those, as I understand. So, the census, I think what we're looking at for students is similar to what we're facing with voter registration – that students that are on campus, they can register and vote because they're on campus. Similarly, they can be counted as part of DeKalb if they're living on campus as well. It's the same kind of message that we need to get across to our students.

J. Salmon: It's probably easy in their minds to say, well I'll let my parents fill me out, but that impacts DeKalb. It impacts our university, like social services and the financial aid directly is impacted by the census. So we need as many of our students that are staying in our residence halls or renting apartments in this area to fill out so that it counts for DeKalb.

K. Thu: So we can bring this back to our classrooms, and let students know. I've done that in the past, just to provide the information. One last question.

A. Keddie: And you say people living in rentals are less likely to be counted?

J. Salmon: Well, yes, a little bit because of how they're getting their codes, because it's a little hard. I'm not positive whether it's going straight to them as listed as their address, or if it's like a residence hall where the code is going to the landlord and some of the landlords are then expected to pass the codes on to all their folks in their complexes. So, it's just something to be aware of if you're talking to students and they live off campus and they said, you know, I haven't gotten a code or seen anything in the mail. They may need to check with their landlord to see if they've gotten a code for the complex.

K. Thu: Thank you, Jeffrey. Appreciate it.

J. Salmon: Thank you for your time, everyone.

K. Thu: You're both welcome to stay for the rest of the meeting if you'd like.

VI. CONSENT AGENDA

K. Thu: Next we have the Consent Agenda, but we have no consent agenda, correct, Pat?

VII. REPORTS FROM ADVISORY COMMITTEES

A. Faculty Advisory Council to IBHE – Linda Saborío – report

K. Thu: That brings us to Reports from Advisory Committees. And first and foremost, it's Linda Saborío and a report from the Faculty Advisory Council to IBHE, so take it away, Linda.

L. Saborío: Thank you. Good afternoon. The FAC February meeting was scheduled to meet at SIU-Edwardsville, but due to uncertainties with the weather, most of us opted to participate via Zoom, which presents many challenges in and of itself, including your attention. In the beginning, we met with the chancellor, Randy Pembrook, and he mentioned several successful programs at SIUE, including their dental, nursing and pharmacy health programs. But a noteworthy recent program is the Successful Communities Collaborative. It's where the university reaches out to local mayors to identify challenges. And then they bring the resulting list to faculty to see what might fit into classes, such as engineering classes and traffic patterns; marketing and recycling onboarding – I thought that was interesting. He was also asked about performance-based funding, and Pembrook sees this a tricky question due to moving populations and the need for reinvention. He says we should look five to 15 years down the road to the vision of what an institution can be, rather than

looking back at what the institution was. And numbers need to be a part of the equation, because it takes a certain amount of facilities and staff to [inaudible], and those costs can be very different, depending on discipline and level.

We received a report from Marie Donovan, our FAC chair, and she said that the new IBHE executive director wants to come to some of our FAC meetings, which is good. Hopefully, in February, it looks like I think that we are meeting with the new executive director on Friday for our February meeting. And the chair of the transfer task force may also come to our meeting to share what has been learned. Good news.

We also met with the director of SIUE Access and chair of the IBHE Disability Services Advisory Council. And he's been at SIUE for two years, but working in this field for two decades. And his passion is working with students with disabilities, which according to him, is one of the last frontiers in civil rights. Common concerns are ways to better serve students, such as universal design is one area. And, of course, there are always issues of supporting faculty who do not know what to do when they receive a notice about a student. Their best practices and staff can work with faculty to develop tools to understand and support students, such as classroom management, handouts and clear discussion questions.

I'm not going to read the whole thing, don't worry. It would take me like 20 minutes. I could if you want.

We met also with Illinois State Rep. Katie Stuart. She is vice chair of the Higher Education Committee with an interest in taking over as chair. And she's also part of the Bipartisan Higher Education Working Group. A big success there was the AIM HIGH scholarship to encourage Illinois students to stay here for college. She tries to bring a faculty view to the working group, but also wants to keep the student view in mind, as well. And she says universities need to rebuild, of course. The recent history of Illinois makes it hard to attract people. They are looking at capital plans and offering lower tuition for employees' families a little sooner than the current seven years. And she wants to hear more from us about that.

What you're looking at up on the screen is actually from the budget in brief higher education slide from the governor's budget address. Important to note is how the bar graph increases to the right. Good news, right? So, we're looking at an increase in Monetary Award Program, the MAP funding and also the AIM HIGH pilot program, public university operations funding \$55.6 million, community college operations funding and the new community college apprenticeship grant program. And then also he talks a little about the Discovery Partners Institute and Illinois Innovation Network. I can ask Pat to put this on the website if you want.

K. Thu: Yes, please do.

L. Saborío: And that concludes my report. Are there any questions?

K. Thu: For those of you who are involved in some of the searches that are going on on campus, particularly the law school dean and the LA and S dean, these are recruiting points. Let them know that the state has turned around in terms of – you don't think they're recruiting points, Katy? I

mean, I'm talking about the MAP money specifically, and some of the recommendations that the IBHE has provided for higher education funding. We're still largely in the hole, but we're trying to scrape our way out. So, thanks, Linda.

- B. University Advisory Committee to the Board of Trustees – report
Jeffry Royce, Cathy Doederlein, Kendall Thu
Alex Gelman, Sarah Marsh, Jason Hanna

K. Thu: Okay, next we have University Advisory Committee to the Board of Trustees. I'll keep this very brief. The board met last Thursday, I guess it was. It was a special meeting of the board. Most of the day was spent with committee reports. I'm not going to report all those out. But the Board of Trustees had two items that were actionable. One was to select or vote on an honorary doctoral degree recipient, which they did. And then secondly, approving Jerry Blazey's request for having outside counsel to take care of intellectual property issues, intellectual property issues that the campus is facing. So those were the two actionable items, and then I'll have more to report once the board responds to some of the committee recommendations that come before them at the next meeting.

VIII. REPORTS FROM STANDING COMMITTEES

- A. Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Committee – Katy Jaekel, Chair – no report

K. Thu: So with that, we have Faculty rights and Responsibilities. And, Katy, you have no report.

K. Jaekel: No news is good news.

K. Thu: No news is good news. Sounds good.

- B. Academic Affairs Committee – Peter Chomentowski, Chair – no report

K. Thu: Peter Chomentowski, Peter, nothing?

- C. Rules, Governance and Elections Committee – Keith Millis, Liaison/Spokesperson - report

K. Thu: Okay, that brings us to Keith Millis who is not here today. So Richard Siegesmund is going to dutifully fill in for Richard [Keith] and walk us through the election process.

1. President of Faculty Senate/Executive Secretary of University Council
Call for nominations

Per University Council election results, an updated list of those eligible to be nominated will be provided as a walk-in item during the February 19 Faculty Senate meeting.

Nominations will be taken from the Faculty Senate floor during the March 25 Faculty Senate meeting.

Letters of acceptance of nomination are due in the Office of University Council and Faculty Senate by Friday, April 10.

Letters of acceptance of nomination will be provided to faculty senators via email by Wednesday, April 15, and also will be included in the April 22 Faculty Senate agenda packets.

Election of final nominee will be held during the April 22 Faculty Senate meeting.

R. Siegesmund: All right, so for those of you who have an agenda, you can read along with me, but I'm going to read this for those of you who might not have the material in front of you. The president of Faculty Senate/executive secretary of University Council call for nominations. In the agenda packets, on page 11, is the full description of that position. Per University Council election results, an updated list of those eligible to be nominated will be provided as a walk-in item during the February 19 Faculty Senate meeting.

K. Thu: So those are in front of you.

R. Siegesmund: Right there. Nominations will be taken from the Faculty Senate floor during the March 25 Faculty Senate meeting. Letters of acceptance of nomination are due to the Office of University Council and Faculty Senate by Friday, April 10. Letters of acceptance of nomination will be provided to faculty senators by email by Wednesday, April 15, and then will be included in the April 22 Faculty Senate agenda packet. Election of the final nominee will be held during April 22 Faculty Senate meeting.

2. Faculty Personnel Advisor – Call for self-nominations

Letters of self-nomination are due in the Office of University Council and Faculty Senate by **Tuesday, March 17**, and will be included in the March 25 FS agenda packets. **Election will take place during the April 22 FS meeting.** The faculty personnel advisor must be a full-time, tenured faculty member, but does not need to be a member of Faculty Senate or University Council.

R. Siegesmund: And then the second item, as Kendall referred to earlier, is that the faculty personnel advisor position is open. There is a call for self-nomination. The full description is on page 12, along with the financial compensation that comes with this position. Letters of self-nomination are due to the Office of University Council and Faculty Senate by Tuesday, March 17, and will be included in the March 25 Faculty Senate agenda packet. Elections will take place at the April 22 Faculty Senate meeting. And the faculty personnel advisor must be a full-time tenured faculty member, but does not need to be a member of Faculty Senate or University Council.

K. Thu: Thanks, Richard. Any questions about that? If you have any questions about it, and you're interested in the position, contact me. But most importantly, contact Pat so that she can perhaps connect you with past personnel advisors so you know what the position entails beyond what's written on paper.

D. Resources, Space and Budget Committee – George Slotsve, Liaison/Spokesperson – report

K. Thu: That brings us to Resources, Space and Budget. And George is our liaison. George, take it away.

G. Slotsve: Okay, RSB met on Friday, Feb. 7. The majority of the discussion surrounded members providing feedback and insight to Provost Ingram and VP Chinniah regarding space usage on campus. Basically, members shared their thoughts on the concept of space ownership, the allocation and responsibility, and how these concepts intersect with budget allocations. Specifically, what things are, or should be, under local control; and what are, or should be, under centralized control. During the discussion, topics such as pride in our spaces and the importance of creating a sense of belong, prioritizing room scheduling to assist in issues with providing discipline-specific needs in classrooms were some of the issues mentioned.

Other topics discussed included maintaining the footprint on campus, even with new buildings being added. In doing so, identifying ways to re-purpose space and identify spaces that may be best to decommission to lack of usage and utility. The provost and CFO asked the group to reach out to our constituents for additional feedback on these topics. If you would like to provide feedback, I guess get ahold of either Therese [Arado], myself or probably preferable send things to Pat, and then she'll forward it to us.

Provost Ingram and VP Chinniah also engaged in several open meetings on how the university budget work was progressing. And they sought insight into the types of questions that it would be helpful to address at these meetings.

So that concludes the report.

K. Thu: Any questions for George? Some of you probably heard that the state has released, I think it's \$7 point some-odd-million for the IT health building. The planning phase of the building – basically, what they do is, they release ten percent of the total budget up front for planning. And a survey has been sent out to get your take on where that building should be built. And the survey, I think, gives you three or four options for where it might go. And also, the state has also released money for the planning of the NICCS building, which already has a location on the west part of campus. And there's a group that is involved – a group of faculty that's involved – in the planning for the programming of that building, which is largely research. If any of you here are interested in getting involved in that group, learning more about NICCS, it really is in sort of an embryonic state in terms of the actual programming, please contact me and we can add you to the planning group. We have – I don't know whether they're monthly meetings or we have regular conference call meetings with Jerry Blazey, who is leading up the effort.

With that, any other questions for George?

IX. UNFINISHED BUSINESS

A. Reimagining Shared Governance

K. Thu: If not, we can move on to Unfinished Business, Reimagining Shared Governance. And we have a new visual. It has been an evolving visual since Vicki [Collins] actually suggested it many moons ago. And so, what you have in your packet is a one-page swooping visual that attempts – and I think it’s actually pretty effective. Especially, I’ve gotten feedback from certain individuals about it. On the left-hand side is the current structure. And then on the right-hand side, you see how the committees or the structures on the left-hand side get enveloped into the new proposed Faculty Senate.

So let me sort of remind everybody, conceptually, what we’re doing. There are three important elements of this. One is that we are moving responsibility for academic affairs, that are currently housed in University Council, over to Faculty Senate. And it was interesting. The first candidate for the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, a small group of shared governance folks met with her. And her first response in that conversation was, I cannot figure out your shared governance system from the website. So that’s telling. So, part of what we’re doing is, not only moving the academic matters from UC over to Faculty Senate, but we’re trying to simplify what our shared governance system looks like. So, the second point is that we’re trying to downsize it and make it more efficient. And thirdly, we have a proposal now about reconfiguring or reimagining the University Council to make it smaller as well.

So, I’m going to tag team this with Richard, because the Rules, Governance and Elections Committee, which is a shared committee between Faculty Senate and University Council, has done a lot of reimagining of what this looks like. And I think we’ve made good progress.

I want to go to the next slide, and then I’ll come back to that one. So, this is a list of the comments and questions that I’ve received since the last meeting where we talked about this. And so, this list is what we’ve done in response to those questions or concerns. I’m not going to go through those individually. You can see them. But we’re keeping track of the questions, the recommendations that we get. And then we are keeping track of the responses to those questions and concerns.

What’s new in this version. Why don’t we go back, and I want to point a couple things out. On the left-hand side, I’m going to let Richard talk about this, you’re going to see some – I don’t know what you call those icons.

R. Siegesmund: You’d call them delete symbols.

K. Thu: Delete symbols.

R. Siegesmund: I also want to thank my graduate student, Andrew Etheridge, for helping me put this together. On the left, you’ll see four delete symbols. One of them is pinkish. The one that is pinkish is the Economic Status of the Profession Committee, which we have already eliminated here

in Faculty Senate, so that's gone. The other three represent consolidation. Two of them are academic committees, which would be synthesized into the Academic Planning Council. And then there is also a UC Steering Committee that is being proposed for elimination, because the University Council would essentially be a lean-and-mean operation, and you don't really need a UC Steering Committee over that. So, those are three eliminations.

You will also see that under the UC, there is the UCPC and the special hearing board, which is going to move under Faculty Senate, at least a majority of its operations will move there, because that has to do with sabbaticals, tenure and promotion; and it is a faculty concern. Some responsibilities will remain in University Council. We're working on that now, but overwhelmingly, UCPC is a faculty operation.

K. Thu: So, if we could just go down to the next two slides down. We're merging committees, so what you have are committees in Faculty Senate that have their counterpart in University Council. So, when you move stuff from University Council over to Faculty Senate, you can eliminate a committee, right? So, this happens to be Academic Affairs and Academic Planning Council. And you don't need to read it. I'm learning to color code. The stuff in green for the duties on the left-hand side are replicated in the duties for another committee on the right-hand side. So basically, the Academic Planning Council can absorb the Academic Affairs duties that are current.

Then if you go down a little further, we want to talk about the proposal for University Council. This is the working proposal for a new University Council. And before I get to the details, well actually, I'll turn it over to Richard and he can do the details. We are moving the academic matters from UC to Faculty Senate. But there still remain functions for the University Council. So, I know there's been talk about, why don't we just get rid of University Council altogether. There are still important things that it does, including budgeting and space planning and that sort of thing. Through the course of conversations with folks on the RGE and my personal conversations with a variety of stakeholder groups, this body, the University Council, no longer needs to be a dominant faculty body. So, Richard, do you want to walk us through what the working proposal is for a reimagined University Council.

R. Siegesmund: The key here is that University Council really would become a parliamentary body, in which no one has a voting majority. We attempt to bring on to University Council groups that have been previously excluded – importantly instructors, clinical faculty – that there is a voice for all parties. There is no way that, if you're going to try to have a manageable number of seats – and right now we have 26 voting members and five nonvoting members. The nonvoting members are administration – that there isn't an algorithm or formula that's going to produce how that should be split up. It's a problem of what the philosopher, Nelson Goodman, would call goodness of fit. And that requires judgment in terms of what is that goodness that makes it appropriate. So, we're trying to keep that active sense of shared governance.

What remains in University Council is primarily the work of Resources, Space and Budget. That is what remains in University Council if you move academic affairs over to Faculty Senate.

K. Thu: Essentially, what the University Council becomes is very similar to what Resources, Space and Budget currently is. And so there's no need for both of them. The University Council can effectively be the Resource, Space and Budget Committee.

R. Siegesmund: Yes. If you go back to that organizational chart, you will see Resources, Space and Budget is grayed out behind University Council to indicate that those duties are University Council at this point. That's where those issues will be discussed.

In the Rules, Governance and Elections Committee meeting that we had earlier this week, there was a lot of debate over what does this look like. And what is goodness? And what is fair? And the committee does not have a recommendation. The committee has tried to raise concerns that we can bring here and to have a discussion, but the committee has not really wanted to try to say we have the magic bullet that we're going to present, and vote it up or down. It's really meant that this is the place where the discussion should be held.

The trade-off is, if we're going to have a smaller operating system, if we're going to try to keep something like 26 seats – and there's no magic number as to 26, but at what point do you reinvent the wheel and you blow it out again to some mammoth organization – what do we need? And I think one of the things that this whole operation, or the whole system is going to challenge is a bit of a change of culture at NIU. And that we have voted for representation that everybody gets a seat at everything. And that creates massive committees and massive operating abilities. If we're going to go to a smaller system, then the ability of those people, for instance, if we go back to the University Council, those one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight orange chairs that represent faculty positions.

K. Thu: Tenure-track faculty. And the total number is 25.

R. Siegesmund: Those people have to represent their colleges. We have had a tradition where people represent their own interest or simply represent their own department, and they don't represent a college. That's a change in culture that would have to happen for this to work. And that would mean college councils are going to have to hold those people responsible, and that tradition of kind of the lone wolf is something that we can't go on with.

K. Thu: Greg?

G. Beyer: It seems logical then by extension what you're saying, that there's going to be some trickle-down restructuring in the college, right? It would seem almost imperative.

R. Siegesmund: I certainly hope so.

G. Beyer: It would be imperative that that person be sitting on the college council to be with the deans, to be with the director, etc., etc.

K. Thu: So just to summarize, in the reimagined University Council, there would be 25 total members, total voting members, I should say. That includes eight tenure-track members, five

students, two operating staff [instructors], one clinical faculty, five operating staff and four SPS, for a total of 25. Linda?

L. Saborío: Follow-up question to Greg's. Would these eight faculty members on UC then also serve on Faculty Senate.

K. Thu: No. No.

L. Saborío: Oh, okay.

K. Thu: We have a graphic for Faculty Senate as well that we'll come to. And we can do that now if you're ready. Okay, let's go to Faculty Senate, because they're intertwined, right? So, this looks like a water testing strip that I used to use. But up top is the current membership on Faculty Senate. It is currently, as you know, Faculty Senate is only faculty. But it includes representatives who are elected to University Council, they are also, by default, members of Faculty Senate. So, currently we have 76 voting members on Faculty Senate, not all of whom come to Faculty Senate meetings every time. And the blue on the left represents those Faculty Senate members that are elected by individual departments. And then the green, or the lime green, or whatever it is, on the right are those Faculty Senate members that come from UC.

The proposal down below retains the Faculty Senate members who are elected by all the individual departments. So, they remain the majority of Faculty Senate. But we've added representation from students, 11 students, 10 instructors, two SPS, two operating staff and one clinical faculty. And those are color-coded on the right. So, if you do the numbers and you want to make sure that tenure-track faculty remain the vast majority of Faculty Senate, we still have 44 tenure-track faculty plus 21, 26 other non-tenure-track-faculty members. So, the tenure-track faculty, who in this new plan will have the authority to deal with academic matters, will remain the vast majority of members of Faculty Senate. So, that's the Faculty Senate piece of it.

R. Sigesmund: The NIU Constitution has always defined faculty as including instructors and clinical faculty. That later on in the Constitution, tenure-track faculty members have special privileges that instructors and clinical faculty do not have. And so, part of what we have been doing here is in a sense restoring rights to instructors and clinical faculty. And if you consider that instructors and clinical faculty are, in fact, faculty, that puts another 12 people into faculty. So, it's 56 faculty votes in Faculty Senate.

K. Thu: That's right. Right. Additional membership there. I'm going to stop there. I do want to talk about the process and the timeline going forward, but I think at this point, I want to open it up for comment, feedback, questions. Well, if not, then I'll talk about the timeline and the process going forward. Go ahead, Jason.

J. Hanna: First of all, I like the Nelson Goodman reference. This is a question about how this would work with the new, I guess refurbished purpose of the Faculty Senate. If it's dealing with primarily academic matters, there are some issues that I can see maybe not wanting to get students as involved in. And there are some issues, where I think it would be definitely good to have instructors on board. But there are other issues – I'm not quite sure what they'd be

K. Thu: Well, tenure and promotion, sabbatical.

J. Hanna: Where you might not want instructor, where they don't have a stake, and students wouldn't even know what we're dealing with.

K. Thu: That's right.

J. Hanna: So, would there be anyway of restricting voting on certain issues to just tenure-track faculty, while leaving it open on other issues for everybody.

K. Thu: The answer is yes. And we've already done some of that. So, for the student membership, we say students are not allowed to vote on faculty promotion and tenure issues that may come from the Faculty Senate Personnel Committee. We could do more of that with instructors and the staff, but the answer is generally, yes, you can restrict those membership in their voting rights. What's that? Yes, absolutely. So the student member of the Board of Trustees can't vote on certain matters in the same sense, so there's precedent for that. Other questions or comments? I think this is the right thing to do. It's the right direction to go in. As you already know, we don't have enough faculty and staff to staff all of our committees anymore, and it has become overburdensome. And this just makes sense from the benchmarking exercise that it went through last fall.

Let me talk a little bit about the process going forward. At next Wednesday's University Council meeting, we will have a first reading of the proposed changes to the University Council. This body has no authority over the bylaws for the University Council. So, there will be a first reading in University Council. They already know sort of what's coming. Down the road, Faculty Senate – and I've mentioned this before – Faculty Senate is eventually going to have to vote to change the bylaws to accommodate these changes. And we've already had a first reading in Faculty Senate for the Faculty Senate Bylaws proposed changes. We have two more meetings of Faculty Senate coming up. And we have, after next Wednesday's University Council meeting, two more UC meetings. So, what I would like to place on your radar screen is to have a second reading of the proposed Faculty Senate Bylaws at our March 25 meeting. And that gives us a full month between now and then to listen to and accommodate additional changes. And then we don't have any University Council meetings in March. The next University Council meeting is April 1. So, I'd like to have a second reading of the proposed University Council bylaw changes, as well as the proposed changes to the Constitution, which UC has authority over, at that April 1 meeting.

And the reason that's important is that the proposed changes to the Constitution are going to require us to send out a referendum. The referendum goes out to faculty, tenure-track faculty. And you're going to have to vote on it. It's a majority vote, right? The tenure-track faculty will have to vote to support the proposed changes to the Constitution. I don't anticipate that that would be a problem, but then it has to go to the Board of Trustees, because changes in the Constitution have to get the Board of Trustees approval. The change in the Constitution is very simple, and I encourage you to take a look at it. It's changing the language for who has the authority over academic matters from UC to Faculty Senate. It basically gives the authority to Faculty Senate, and that's the change. So, I've already talked to Matt Streb. I talked to Dennis Barsema about this and others. If everything were to go swimmingly – and I've been a chair of a department for nine years before this, I know

how things go – it would be brought before the June BOT meeting for approval of the proposed Constitutional changes.

So, that's the process and the timetable going forward. I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to rush this through any kind of schedule. I'm just laying out what the possible timeline might look like. Richard, do you want to add anything to that? I don't know if Ian is here. Ian, are you here? Ian has also been closely involved in all these conversations. And, as I've said before, Ian knows the proposed language changes as good as the rest of us. I don't know how he finds the time to do all this stuff, but he also has been involved. Ian, do you want to say anything?

I. Pearson: I'm good.

K. Thu: You're good, okay. Any other comments or questions about this. So, we'll come back for a second reading at the March 25 Faculty Senate meeting. Meanwhile, if you have any questions or concerns, please get ahold of me, Richard and/or Ian, and we'll make certain that it's included in the conversation. And we'll have specific responses to your concerns as well. Go ahead, Reed.

R. Scherer: Just encourage everyone to look it over carefully, share it with your colleagues, and discuss it in your faculty meetings, and think about what implications might come from these and things that perhaps we in Rules, Governance and Elections haven't anticipated.

K. Thu: Yes, absolutely. Thank you. And I also will point out that there's going to have to be an implementation phase to this. We'll have to change the elections. We just elected new UC members. And so Pat and I and Richard have had at least one or two conversations about how to implement it, and what that would look like. So, if we were to pass it by the end of the spring semester, it would give us the summer to do the implementation piece of it. And that would require a fair amount of work. But there's some precedent, as Pat has alluded, in the past for making the kinds of changes that we'd need to make. And this will allow some of you to not have to serve on certain committees. Other comments or concerns? Yes, go ahead.

A. Keddie: I wonder, could you send us the Faculty Senate membership printout to share with our colleagues, just to give them an idea of what's going to

K. Thu: You talking about this chart.

A. Keddie: I'm talking about that chart.

K. Thu: This was a late-arriving chart yesterday, so it wasn't in your original packet.

A. Keddie: All right, thank you.

K. Thu: But we can get that out. Other comments or questions? Okay, well then we'll come back to it on March 25. Other matters? Other comments?

1. Academic Governance
ONGOING DISCUSSION
2. University Council Governance

X. NEW BUSINESS

XI. PUBLIC COMMENT

XII. INFORMATION ITEMS

- A. [Policy Library](#) – Comment on Proposed Policies (right-hand column on web page)
- B. [Minutes](#), Academic Planning Council
- C. [Minutes](#), Athletic Board
- D. [Minutes](#), Baccalaureate Council
- E. [Minutes](#), Board of Trustees
- F. [Minutes](#), Campus Security and Environmental Quality Committee
- G. [Minutes](#), Comm. on the Improvement of the Undergraduate Academic Experience
- H. [Minutes](#), General Education Committee
- I. [Minutes](#), Graduate Council
- J. [Minutes](#), Graduate Council Curriculum Committee
- K. [Minutes](#), Honors Committee
- L. [Minutes](#), Operating Staff Council
- M. [Minutes](#), Student Senate
- N. [Minutes](#), Supportive Professional Staff Council
- O. [Minutes](#), University Assessment Panel
- P. [Minutes](#), University Benefits Committee
- Q. [Minutes](#), Univ. Comm. on Advanced and Nonteaching Educator License Programs
- R. [Minutes](#), University Committee on Initial Educator Licensure
- S. 2019-20 Faculty Senate meeting dates:
Sep 4, Oct 2, Oct 30, Nov 20, Jan 22, Feb 19, Mar 25, Apr 22
- T. [2018-19 Annual Report](#) – Office of the Ombudsperson
- U. HSC Fire Alarm – Response from Chief Thomas Phillips
 - General fire safety evacuation information is available in the [NIU Emergency Response Guide](#).
 - Access to the guide is also available via the new NIUSafe App at: [Subscribe to Safety Notifications - NIU - Emergency Information](#)
 - A list of evacuation points for the campus is maintained by EH&S, which also publishes an [Annual Fire Safety Report](#).

XIII. ADJOURNMENT

K. Thu: I'll entertain a motion to adjourn.

W. Penrod: So moved.

K. Thu: Second?

R. Scherer: Second.

K. Thu: All in favor?

Members: Aye.

K. Thu: Opposed? Abstentions. Have a good evening, everybody.

Meeting adjourned at 4:17 p.m.