Undocumented Student Ally Program
We offer information and training to those who wish to become allies to undocumented students. By supporting undocumented students, you can help create a welcoming campus and encourage cultural and intellectual diversity at NIU.
Our Undocumented Student Ally Training is one way to learn about issues faced by undocumented students in different areas of campus. We also encourage you to:
- Learn about relevant state and federal legislation.
- Become familiar with campus resources.
- Use the term "undocumented" instead of "illegal," and encourage others to do the same.
- Follow Dream Action NIU on social media.
Undocumented Student Ally Training
Each semester, we offer ally training to NIU faculty, staff and students. Participants learn how to be effective advocates for undocumented students. You'll learn about:
- State and federal legislation that affects undocumented students.
- Educational, economic and psychological challenges faced by undocumented students.
- Campus and community resources that support undocumented students and improve their educational experience.
Sessions are offered each semester. Fall 2020 dates will be announced soon.
The Role of an Ally
As an ally to undocumented students, you'll:
- Learn about the legal rights of undocumented students and support their right to enroll in schools and universities.
- Listen to undocumented students with an open mind and keep your communications with them confidential.
- Avoid revealing a student's undocumented status without their permission and help them reveal it at their own pace.
Learn more about supporting undocumented students (PDF).
Coordinator for Undocumented Student Support
Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Campus Life Building 230
DeKalb IL 60115