How to Request Books/Media, and Articles
Before placing a request with the IDS office for a book or other similar item, please be sure that you have done the following:
- Check the online catalog to be sure that NIU doesn’t already own the item.
- Next, check I-Share to make sure that you cannot get the book from another university library in Illinois. If you find your item here, you just need to click Request and then follow the directions.
- If you can’t find your item in the Local Catalog or in I-Share, search WorldCat. Each record in WorldCat contains a link to order the item through via NIUILLiad. Click it and follow the directions.
- Finally, make an NIUILLiad request. Log in with your official NIU ID (such as a zID) and password, then choose the type of request on the left-hand side.
Before placing a request with the IDS for a journal article, please be sure that you have done the following:
- First, see our e-Journals page to search for the journal that your article is from.
- Next, search for the journal in our online catalog. Just search local holdings. If you find the journal here, double-check the holding information at the bottom of the record to discover whether the library has the journal you need as a hard-copy.
- Finally, if you don’t find that NIU owns the journal electronically or as a hard-copy, submit an NIUILLiad request for the article (note: SFX also links to this form).
Problems? Questions? Call the IDS office at 815-753-9842 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all ILL notifications are sent to official NIU email accounts only.