History of Sustainability at NIU
Unlimited free printing on campus is eliminated.
- NIU partners with Goodwill Industries of Northern Illinois to collect donations of gently used items at the end of each semester as a means to reduce landfill waste;
- NIU starts H2O to Go to reduce disposable water bottle waste;
- DoIT reduces printing consumption by implementing printing quotas;
- Give and Go! Project begins, collecting donated items from residence halls;
Commingle recycling launches with updated recycling containers and labeling.
New buildings and major renovations meet LEED certifications per law HB 1013.
The Task Force on the Sustainable Campus Environment (NIU Green Team) is established
- NIU collects 1,400 tons paper, plastic and glass meeting charge of IL Public Act 86-1363
- NIU begins partnership with Energy Systems Group to save electricity, gas, water and emissions
Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs awards grants to NIU to implement a recycling program.
Student Association (SA) and NIU administration agree to interim recycling program developed by the Physical Plant and SA .
SA begins university-wide campus collection and marketing of paper.
Student Association Drop-Off Recycling Program commences.
Students organize the Committee for the Preservation of Wildlife.
Pine Rock Nature Preserve is conveyed to NIU by the Nature Conservancy of Illinois.
NIU acquires and for the Loredo Taft Field Campus, NIU’s outdoor education and conference center.