Training & Workshops for Fraternity & Sorority Students
Fraternity & Sorority Life strives to provide detailed trainings and workshops for Greek students at NIU. The office partners with several other university departments to connect students with resources and provide the trainings that chapters request. There are also some mandatory attendance trainings that fraternity and sorority members must attend each year.
All-Fraternity/All-Sorority Meeting (August)
At the beginning of every fall semester, all Greek students are required to attend the all-fraternity or all-sorority meeting. These meetings provide training regarding bystander behavior; alcohol use and safety; sexual assault and consent; and expectations for members of fraternities and sororities. Important dates and other reminders are also covered during this meeting.
Mock Social Event Training (August/September)
Each fall, chapters from all four councils are divided into teams and are required to attend a Mock Social Event at a fraternity or sorority facility on Greek Row. Chapters without houses are paired with chapters that do have facilities. At these trainings, university staff reviews the off-campus social event policy and walks through the steps to host a safe social event in compliance with university policy. No alcohol is present during the mock events.
New Member Training (mid-fall and mid-spring)
Every semester, staff members from fraternity & sorority life facilitate mandatory training sessions for all new members of fraternities and sororities from all councils. These new member trainings are offered at least twice each semester on different days of the week to accommodate as many student schedules as possible.
The following topics are addressed during New Member Training:
- Make-up of NIU's Greek community (four councils)
- Cultural awareness (Greek culture, college campus culture, multiculturalism)
- Huskie Link
- Perception of Greek life nationally and at NIU
- Values & expectations of NIU Greek students
- Social media use/misuse
- Hazing - definition and how to report
- Sexual assault/consent
- Alcohol & drug use/abuse
- Social events policy (on- and off-campus)
Additional Trainings and Resources Available through Campus Partners
Each chapter can utilize the resources listed below to schedule individual trainings specifically for their members. Fraternity & Sorority Life also strives to provide various trainings throughout the semester specifically for Greek students in partnership with the resources below.
- Various topics throughout the semester
- Various dates and times
- Students can attend at their own leisure
- Can complete 3-tiered program and earn leadership certificate
We encourage all Greek students to attend Leadership Academy Workshops to help prepare them for leadership opportunities throughout their college career.
- Alcohol awareness programming
- Stress management info sessions
- Sexual health programming
- Healthy relationships
- Violence prevention
- Many more!
- Tips for academic success
- Individual and group tutoring
- Academic success presentations\
- First aid & CPR classes
- Self-defense training
- Other trainings and safety resources
Student Involvement and Leadership Development
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115