Training and Workshops
For Fraternity and Sorority Students
Fraternity and Sorority Life strives to provide in-depth training and workshops for Greek students at NIU. We partner with several university departments to connect students with resources and provide training requested by chapters. In addition, fraternity and sorority members are required to attend mandatory training sessions each year.
At the beginning of each fall semester, all Greek students are required to attend the all-fraternity or all-sorority meeting. These meetings provide training in the following areas:
- Bystander behavior.
- Alcohol use and safety.
- Sexual assault and consent.
- Expectations for members of fraternities and sororities.
Important dates and other reminders are also covered during this meeting.
Each fall, chapters from all four councils are required to attend a mock social event at a fraternity or sorority facility on Greek row. Chapters are divided into teams for this training, and chapters without houses are paired with chapters that have facilities. At these training sessions, university staff members review the off-campus social event policy and go over how to host a safe social event in compliance with university policy. No alcohol is present during these events.
Every semester, Fraternity and Sorority Life staff members facilitate mandatory training for all new members of fraternities and sororities. To accommodate as many students as possible, these sessions are offered at least twice a semester on different days of the week.
The following topics are addressed during new member training:
- Composition of NIU's Greek community (four councils).
- Cultural awareness (Greek culture, college campus culture, multiculturalism).
- Huskie Link.
- Perception of Greek life nationally and at NIU.
- Values and expectations of NIU Greek students.
- Social media use/misuse.
- Hazing (definition and how to report).
- Sexual assault and consent.
- Alcohol and drug use/abuse.
- Social events policies (on and off campus).
Each chapter can use the resources listed below to schedule training for their members. Fraternity and Sorority Life also strives to provide additional training for Greek students in partnership with the campus community.
- Various topics throughout the semester.
- Various dates and times.
- Students can attend at their own leisure.
- Can complete three-tiered program and earn leadership certificate.
We encourage all Greek students to attend Leadership Academy workshops to help prepare them for leadership opportunities throughout their college career.
- Alcohol awareness programming.
- Stress management information sessions.
- Sexual health programming.
- Healthy relationships.
- Violence prevention.
- Tips for academic success.
- Individual and group tutoring.
- Academic success presentations.
- First aid and CPR classes.
- Self-defense training.
- Other training sessions and safety resources.
Alex Pitner, M.S.
Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115