- Fraternity and Sorority Life
Fraternity and Sorority Life
Welcome to Fraternity and Sorority Life at NIU!
Our mission is to advocate for fraternities and sororities within the NIU community. We promote an understanding of organization and individual member responsibilities in accordance with university rules and regulations. We also encourage fraternities and sororities to provide their members with experiences that lead to personal and professional growth, development and education.
NIU is home to 44 social fraternities and sororities. There are more than 1,600 members in our Greek community. Fraternities and sororities are often referred to as "Greek Life" on college campuses.
- The use of Greek letters by organizations dates back to the founding of the first fraternities in the 1700s.
- Each letter stands for a part of an organization's motto.
- The meanings of the mottos are revealed when you join an organization.
All Greek-letter organizations are founded on three main principles that help students navigate life at college:
- Academic achievement/scholastic excellence.
- Service to the greater community.
- Bonding through brotherhood or sisterhood.
NIU Greek Organizations
- Home to 13 men's fraternities.
- Organizations range in size from 15 to 110 members.
- Home to eight women's sororities: seven national Panhellenic sororities, one local sorority and two national Latina sorority.
- Groups range in size from 15 to 95 members.
- Known as the "Divine Nine."
- Home to three women's sororities and five men's fraternities.
- Groups range in size from three to 25 members.
- Home to 15 organizations, including men's fraternities, women's sororities and coed fraternities.
- Groups range in size from three to 40 members.
- All UGC chapters hold multiculturalism as an important organizational value.
Organizations Not Recognized by NIU
- Phi Kappa Theta (Ends May 9, 2022)
- Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (Indefinite)
- Sigma Alpha Mu (Ends May 10,2020)
Alex Pitner, M.S.
Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115