Resources for Families
There are many ways you can support your student while they're at NIU. We'll provide you with information and resources you can use to help your student have a positive educational experience.
An important resource for sharing information with your student is Shared Access. This online platform allows your student to grant you access to their information in areas such as academics, financial aid and the to-do list.
You can also learn more about your student's life at NIU by:
- Reading the general family FAQ.
- Taking a virtual tour of campus.
- Learning about the DeKalb community.
- Keeping track of important dates with the academic calendar and NIU events calendar.
Our advisers will help your student stay on track to graduate. Learn about advising at NIU.
Your student also has access to a range of academic support services:
- ACCESS Tutoring and Support Services
- Disability Resource Center
- Student-Athlete Academic Support Services
- University Writing Center
There are many ways your student can enrich their academic experience at NIU:
Your student's safety is vitally important to us. The Department of Police and Public Safety provides many services to the NIU community, including safety notifications.
Your student can register up to two additional contacts to receive NIU Alerts. If there's an imminent and verified danger to the campus community, notifications will be sent to these additional contacts after a message has been sent to students and employees. Learn how to subscribe to NIU Alerts.
- Read about types of aid, costs and more at the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.
- Learn about billing and payments at the Office of the Bursar.
- See banking options on campus and in the DeKalb area (PDF).
- Learn about the Operating Staff Dependent Endowed Scholarship (for children of NIU civil service employees).
- Learn about on-campus student employment.
- Family Connections