|Learn more about STEM Outreach demo shows!|
Come to us, or we'll come to you! We work to bring STEM programming to any district or school who wants to have us. Programs offer two-way engagement, tailored to reinforce specific standards or concepts based on your needs.
- STEM Facilities
- Davis Hall Observatory - View the moon, stars, and planets; public viewing hours and field trip opportunities available.
- Laboratory Visits - Extend classroom work and provide a highly motivating experience with NIU STEM experts; visits available to engineering, biology, chemistry, physics, and other STEM labs.
- STEM Day Trip - Visit laboratories on campus and incorporate a demonstration or interactive lab experience for you students. Plan the entire day around STEM facilities or make it an interdisciplinary visit by including a museum or the Milan Township One Room School. Fees are based on the number of demonstration programs or interactive lab experiences scheduled and are similar to those charged for school visits. Lab tours and other arrangements are included. Bring your own lunch or allow us to make arrangements for lunch on campus for your group.
- Community Programs
- Camps - Middle school and high school students have a variety of options to explore STEM subjects in a camp setting. Residential and day camps are available.
- STEM Cafés - Adults can join STEM Outreach and STEM experts for discussion on the latest research and groundbreaking discoveries while enjoying food and drink at area restaurants.
- STEMfest - Celebrate the fun behind science, technology, engineering, and math at this free annual festival for families.
- STEM Saturdays - Students in fourth grade and up can sign up for hands-on science sessions that explore everything from the inside of household items like vacuum cleaners to the physics of roller coasters; parents are welcome to join in the fun.
- STEM Read - Readers of all ages read sci-fi books, and then participate in free discussions and hands-on activities with experts who specialize in the science behind the fiction.
- WYSE - NIU hosts the yearly academic challenge administered by Worldwide Youth in Science and Engineering and offered to high school students.
- Hands-On Programs
- STEM Exploration Labs - Children and adults alike explore 100 interactive displays which capture the essence of various physical science concepts. Use this program to generate community wide interest in science as you recruit parent and high school volunteers to make it happen. We can visit a single classroom with 6 stations up to a two room event with 40 hands on stations. Read through the STEM Exploration Labs flier for full pricing details and more information.
- Demonstration Programs - View Demo Show flier
- It's Not Magic, It's Science - Designed to open the eyes of children in kindergarten through second grade to science. Children are natural scientists, exploring their world through play. Together, we uncover the science in levitating balls, invisible test tubes, shrinking balloons and more! Suggested program length is 45 minutes.
- Frontier Science Road Show - Customized to the audience based on current class topics, this program is designed for students in third through eighth grades. Demonstrations using liquid nitrogen, plasma globes, strong magnets, lasers and diffraction-lensed rainbow glasses among many other intriguing demos excite students as they bring STEM concepts to life. Suggested program length is 60 minutes, which includes a question and answer session.
- NIU STEM Faculty and Student Visits
STEM faculty or student visits to your school can be arranged through the NIU STEM Outreach Office. Options include talsk on -
- Current research
- Competition success
- STEM Careers
Contact the STEM Outreach team at email@example.com or 815.753.0533 to arrange for any of these experiences.