WELCOME HUSKIES! As the Dean of Students, I am excited that you are a part of the Huskie Family!
So what exactly does a Dean of Students do? I am ...
- Part of the University’s Senior Leadership Team, where I advocate for your needs and provide the student perspective.
- A problem-solver. Together with my staff, helping students to address issues that involve multiple offices or department on the campus.
- A support, referral agent and resource.
Each week, I’ll provide an e-mail with some insights and information that I hope you find useful, interesting and maximizes your Huskie experience! For the week ahead ...
- Go to class! You’ll have better grades because of it, I promise! ... just go!
- Establish (or re-connect with) your support system so it’s ready when you need it (as we all do) - take time to connect with floor mates, friends, faculty and staff.
- Take it all in - you did it! Celebrate that you are beginning a new semester at college! By the numbers, as a graduate of NIU, you will be in the top third of the most highly educated people in America.
- As a Huskie, we live by the Northern Pact.If we each let these principles guide us, we will build the community we all want to be a part of.
- Show your HUSKIE PRIDE! Wear red and black every Friday. See you at the football home opener this Friday.
- Does your family know that Family Weekend is coming soon? September 8-10.
This quote by Kushanwizdom says it all .... “Today is not just another day. It’s a new opportunity, another chance, a new beginning. Embrace it.”GOOD LUCK on the semester ahead!
Kelly Wesener Michael, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
Chief Student Affairs Officer & Dean of Students