Sport, Recreation and Wellness Community
This Special Interest Community is perfect for any student who loves sport, recreation, and personal wellness. Students on this floor participate in intramural leagues, weekend trips and monthly workshops. This is a great opportunity to enhance your personal wellness and live with other students who share your interest in sport and recreation.
- Get to know your floormates in a kick-off event with teambuilding.
- Participate in a choice of four intramural leagues during the year, including 12" softball, flag football, volleyball, indoor soccer, basketball, floor hockey, 4-on-4 flag football, and outdoor soccer.
- Get a fitness assessment provided by Recreation and Wellness personal trainers.
- Meet with nutrition coaches to develop an individualized plan for better wellness throughout the year.
- Choose from activities to participate in like crate climbing, specialty group fitness classes, canoe at the East Lagoon, ice skating during winter months, caving, hiking, cross country skiing, and more.
- Join friends from your floor in monthly workshops and special events offered by University Recreation and Wellness. Workshops topics can include exercise and fitness, environmental sustainability, careers in sport and recreation, financial management, and more.
Program and Costs
Students in this community pay a $50 per semester program fee to cover costs for weekly and monthly activities, nutrition coaching, a health and wellness assessment, intramurals, fitness classes, workshops, and more. Some activities are available for an additional cost.
Foundation Program Activities
- Kick-off and teambuilding
- Intramural league
- Fitness assessment
- Fit Pass for Group Fitness Classes
- Nutrition coaching
All foundation program activities are included in program fee.
These activities include a variety of one-time and recurring events. You and your floormates will vote on activities to participate in.
- Crate climbing
- Specialty group fitness class/workout
- Canoe at the NIU East Lagoon
- Ice skating (as weather permits)
- KNPE instructor teaching a specific recreation/sport activity
- Indoor climbing
- Group bike ride
- Day hike
- Day snowshoe/cross country ski
Workshops and Special Events
One wellness program per month offered by faculty and staff from Recreation and Wellness and the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. Possible topics include:
- Exercise and fitness
- Emotional intelligence
- Environmental sustainability
- Financial management
- Careers in sport and recreation
All workshops and special events are included in program fee.