Do you want to learn how to use the gym more effectively? Perhaps you want to get in shape and need an extra push to keep you motivated and on track. The NIU Campus Rec Center has great training options to help you get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle.
Virtual Personal Training
Four-week training program all completed via video. Clients will receive a consultation, training program, and check-in sessions with a trainer or weekly video training sessions.
If you want to learn how to safely and effectively workout, please complete our information form to receive a free equipment orientation.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
60-minute one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program that your trainer creates for you based on your fitness and wellness goals.
Partner Training Sessions
60-minute sessions for groups of two working together with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program for you and your partner. Workouts are designed to challenge each person in the group at their specific skill level and target their specific goals.
Small Group Training
This group training program helps you live a healthy lifestyle, get back on track with a fitness routine, and beat the stress in your life. Workouts are high-intensity and will help you feel your best! Join the club! Space is limited.
Fitness Assessment - $10
Fitness is not just a number on the scale! Our trained professionals will give you a comprehensive fitness assessment that considers your lifestyle, blood pressure, body composition, strength, flexibility, and aerobic fitness. Call 815-753–9421 to set up your appointment today.
Signing up for personal training or one-on-one yoga sessions is easy! Sign up online or stop by the Recreation Center service counter and choose the package that fits your needs. Both student and non-student member rates are available for all packages and sessions.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
Meet with a personal trainer privately at your convenience. Your trainer will create a progressive exercise program to meet your needs, interests, and goals. Trainers will ensure all exercises are performed correctly and safely. One-on-one sessions include a fitness assessment and initial consultation. Fitness assessments consist of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and body fat testing. Single one-on-one sessions are available for those interested in getting started quickly without a fitness assessment and consultation.
Personal Training Package Pricing
Discounted rates from Dec. 15, 2020 - Jan. 18, 2021. Register today.
Nutrition and Personal Training BundleIncludes one fitness assessment, two personal training sessions and semester-long nutrition coaching
Price: $79 (students/members) - only available for the fall and spring semesters
- NIU Recreation accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- Payments are required when signing up. Cash or check payments must be completed in person at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter.
- Once payment and paperwork have been received, a trainer will be assigned to the client. The trainer will contact the client within a week.
- Clients will be contacted within three business days after registering for personal training
- Sessions last approximately one hour. Some sessions will be for 30 minutes only and will count as half sessions.
- Trainers are obligated to wait 15 minutes for clients to arrive. After 15 minutes the session will be lost. Sessions that start late will end one hour from the original appointment time.
- RecWell follows a 12-hour cancellation/reschedule policy for personal training. Refunds are not given for missed appointments or cancellations/reschedules made less than 12 hours in advance.
- Packages expire one year from the date of purchase.
- Refunds for packages will be honored for documented medical conditions that occur after the time of the purchase. Additionally, other refund requests will be reviewed but must include a substantial reason for the refund request.
Requests for Refunds
- A refund request form can be obtained at the Recreation Center Service Counter and must be submitted, with appropriate documentation, to initiate a refund. NIU Recreation will process approved requests within four business days of receipt of the request.
- Written physician documentation for medical conditions must be provided at the time of a refund request.
- Approved medical-related refunds will be given; however, sessions used by the client prior to the occurrence of the medical situation will be deducted from the original purchase.
- Refund requests for reasons other than a medical condition can be documented on a refund request form with an attached written or typed letter stating the reason for requesting a refund. Non-medical refund requests will be reviewed by the assistant director for fitness. The patron will be notified of a decision within five business days.
Gift certificates can be purchased at the Recreation Center Service Counter in any amount. Gift certificates are a unique idea for any occasion. Gift certificates can only be used by NIU students and Recreation and Wellness members but can be purchased by non-members.
Free Equipment Orientation
Register for a free equipment orientation for help getting started on the cardiovascular and strength training equipment. Sessions are available on an as-needed basis. Orientation sessions may be individual or in small groups, depending on demand.
Meet Our Trainers
NIU Recreation personal trainers have developed their personal training skills by working with clients in one-on-one and group settings through previous employment in health and fitness clubs, YMCA's, community recreation programs or through classroom experiences. Trainers are certified through a national organization and hold certifications in CPR/AED, blood borne pathogens and first aid.
Hometown: Naperville, IL
Major: Rehabilitation and Disability Services
Certifications: ACE Personal Trainer
Specialty areas: Cardio, Weight Loss, Overall fitness, Obstacle Races, Kettlebells, TRX
Personal training philosophy: What I love about fitness is that while focusing on a larger goal, you can celebrate small accomplishments along the way. I also love those movements that are worked on in fitness can lead to stronger everyday life skills. My training philosophy focuses on finding the right movements for you and the abilities and skills that you bring to create a plan to help achieve your goals. I look forward to meeting you and can’t wait to see the goals you can accomplish.
Hometown: Glendale Heights, IL
Personal training philosophy: I think that exercise can both be fun and functional. I want people to enjoy their workouts while also training for their goals in the most efficient and practical way possible. At the end of the day, I want nothing more than have one more person enjoy exercise!
Hometown: Mount Prospect, IL
Certification: American College of Sports Medicine, Certified Personal Trainer
Personal training philosophy: Health and wellness have been my passion for over 15 years. I want you to become leaders in your own lives sustaining momentum toward a healthier lifestyle.
Become a Trainer
If you are interested in becoming a personal trainer with RecWell, please apply by submitting your resume to Leanne Kulchawik at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to hire individuals who:
- Have a personal training certification or are working toward a certification
- Are energetic and motivating
- Are reliable and responsible
- Have a passion for fitness and wellness
Applicants must possess one of the following requirements
- Personal Training Certification from ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA, NASM or NSCA or other Nationally Recognized and Accredited Organization.
- Working towards obtaining certification from an accredited organization. (Test must be scheduled prior to employment)
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science or related health field