Do you want to learn how to use the gym more effectively? Perhaps you want to get in shape and need an extra push to keep you motivated and on track. The NIU Campus Rec Center has great training options to help you get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle.
All in-person Personal Training is postponed until Recreation and Wellness returns to normal operation. We are offering video and phone Personal Training sessions to anyone interested. Please contact Leanne Kulchawik at email@example.com for more information.
We are also gathering additional resources to help you stay active and well, so stay tuned to our website and our social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) for more information.
If you want to learn how to safely and effectively workout, please complete our information form to receive a free equipment orientation.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
60-minute one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program that your trainer creates for you based on your fitness and wellness goals.
Partner Training Sessions
60-minute sessions for groups of two working together with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program for you and your partner. Workouts are designed to challenge each person in the group at their specific skill level and target their specific goals.
Small Group Training
Six-week and 12-week programs designed to help you take control of your fitness routine and see amazing results. This group training program helps you live a healthy lifestyle, get back on track with a fitness routine, and beat the stress in your life. Workouts are high-intensity and will help you feel your best! Join the club! Space is limited.
Fitness Assessment - $10
Fitness is not just a number on the scale! Our trained professionals will give you a comprehensive fitness assessment that considers your lifestyle, blood pressure, body composition, strength, flexibility, and aerobic fitness. Call 815-753–9421 to set up your appointment today.
Signing up for personal training or one-on-one yoga sessions is easy! Sign up online or stop by the Student Recreation Center service counter and choose the package that fits your needs. Both student and non-student member rates are available for all packages and sessions.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
Meet with a personal trainer privately at your convenience. Your trainer will create a progressive exercise program to meet your needs, interests, and goals. Trainers will ensure all exercises are performed correctly and safely. One-on-one sessions include a fitness assessment, initial consultation
Personal Training Package Pricing
Nutrition and Personal Training BundleIncludes one fitness assessment, two personal training sessions and semester-long nutrition coaching
Price: $69 (students/members) - only available for the Fall and Spring semesters
- Recreation and Wellness
acceptcash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- Payments are required when signing up. Cash or check payments must be completed in person at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter.
- Once payment and paperwork have been received, a trainer will be assigned to the client. The trainer will contact the client within a week.
- Clients will be contacted within 3 business days after registering for Personal Training
- Sessions last approximately one hour. Some sessions will be for 30 minutes only and will count as half sessions.
- Trainers are obligated to wait 15 minutes for clients to arrive. After 15 minutes the session will be lost. Sessions that start late will end one hour from the original appointment time.
- RecWell follows a 12-hour cancellation/reschedule policy for personal training. Refunds are not given for missed appointments or cancellations/reschedules made less than 12 hours in advance.
- Packages expire one year from the date of purchase.
- Refunds for packages will be honored for documented medical conditions that occur after the time of the purchase. Additionally, other refund requests will be reviewed but must include a substantial reason for the refund request.
Requests for Refunds
- A Refund Request Form can be obtained at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter and must be submitted, with appropriate documentation, to initiate a refund. RecWell will process approved requests within four business days of receipt of the request.
- Written physician documentation for medical conditions must be provided at the time of a refund request.
- Approved medical-related refunds will be given; however, sessions used by the client prior to the occurrence of the medical situation will be deducted from the original purchase.
- Refund requests for reasons other than a medical condition can be documented on a Refund Request Form with an attached written or typed
letterstating the reason for requesting a refund. Non-medical refund requests will be reviewed by the Assistant Director for Fitness. The patron will be notified of a decision within five business days.
Gift certificates can be purchased at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter in any amount. Gift certificates are a unique idea for any occasion. Gift certificates can only be used by NIU students and Recreation and Wellness members but can be purchased by non-members.
Free Equipment Orientation
Register for a free equipment orientation for help getting started on the cardiovascular and strength training equipment. Sessions are available on an as-needed basis. Orientation sessions may be individual or in small groups, depending on demand.
Meet our Trainers
Recreation and Wellness personal trainers have developed their personal training skills by working with clients in one-on-one and group settings through previous employment in health and fitness clubs, YMCA's, community recreation programs or through classroom experiences. Trainers are certified through a national organization and hold certifications in CPR/AED, Blood Borne Pathogens, and First Aid.
Hometown: Saint Charles, IL
Education: Pre-Physical Therapy
Certifications: NREMT and NASM
Specialty Areas: Weight loss specialist through NASM
Hometown: Normal, IL
Education: Political Science major, minor in Applied Statistics and Probability
Certifications: NETA-CB for Personal Trainers
Specialty Areas: weightlifting for hypertrophy and/or strength, weight loss, and clients with physical disabilities
Hometown: Naperville, IL
Education: Rehabilitation and Disability Services
Certifications: ACE Personal Trainer
Specialty Areas: Cardio, Weight Loss, Overall fitness, Obstacle Races
Jesmar (Jay) Guzman
Hometown: Glendale Heights, IL
Education: Pre-Physical Therapy
Certifications: NASM Certified Personal Trainer
Specialty Areas: Working with elderly populations, Mobility and Balance focus, strength training, body weight training, plyometrics, and HIIT
Hometown: Rockville, MD
Education: Psychology – Marriage and Family Therapy
Certifications: National Academy of Sports Medicine
Specialty Areas: Stabilization, balance and core strength, corrective exercise, weight loss, athletic training, hypertrophy
Hometown: Wheaton, IL
Education: Nutrition Science
Certifications: NASM certified, CPR certified
Specialty Areas: cardio, weight loss, strength
Become a Trainer
If you are interested in becoming a personal trainer with RecWell, please apply by submitting your resume to Leanne Kulchawik at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to hire individuals who:
- Have a personal training certification or are working toward a certification
- Are energetic and motivating
- Are reliable and responsible
- Have a passion for fitness and wellness
Applicants must possess one of the following requirements
- Personal Training Certification from ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA, NASM or NSCA or other Nationally Recognized and Accredited Organization.
- Working towards obtaining certification from Accredited Organization. (Test must be scheduled prior to employment)
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science or related health field