Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
In an effort to support your wellness during these unprecedented times, group fitness will be free for everyone this semester! Please find the streaming links on the NIU Calendar below.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Spring 2021 Group Fitness Schedule
All classes will be streamed virtually.
|4:30-5 p.m.||Butts and Guts|
|7-7:40 p.m.||Core and More|
|Wednesday||5-5:40 p.m.||Dance Fitness|
|7-7:40||Total Body Burn|
Free Fitness Friday
Try a virtual group fitness class for free every Friday! Check the NIU Calendar for streaming links.
- Cardio Dance - enjoy your workout while dancing to various musical genres. Combining dance rhythms with fitness variations, you'll get a great cardiovascular workout while learning new dance styles.
- Danceworks - is a new dance fitness class! It combines upbeat music of all styles with fun dance fitness combos. This class is for everyone, no dance experience required. Come and unleash the inner dancer in you!
- Cardio Kickboxing - combines martial arts techniques with fast-paced cardio. This high-energy workout challenges both the beginner and elite athlete.
- Zumba™ - an exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- Restorative Yoga - Move through a variety of postures and stretches to leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
- Yoga - This class may vary from flow to restorative and balancing. Connect your mind and body with yoga poses, balance, conscious breathing and relaxation.
- Barre - Hold, pulse and stretch your muscles in this full-body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. This high-intensity but low-impact workout will strengthen your core, arms and legs all in one workout!
- Butts and Guts - Strength and resistance training focused on developing a rock-solid core and lower body.
- Core - This 30-minute workout focuses on the core and lower back to build midline stability and strength.
- Lower Body Strength - Don’t skip leg day! This class will target the Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Calves. The focus will be on strengthening the lower body using weight and bodyweight resistance.
- Upper Body Burn – This class will focus on the upper body muscles including chest, back, arms and core!
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the RecWell in-house Instructor Training Program before instructing.
|Caroline Melsa||Lower Body Strength, Good Morning Core|
|Kelly Heiman||Cardio Kickboxing|
|Leanne Kulchawik||Butts and Guts|
|Liz Rivera||Restorative Yoga, Zumba|
|Lynn Herrmann||Cardio Dance, Barre|
|Shelby Steffans||Lower/Upper Body Burn, Yoga|
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes is recommended, and you must have a Fit Pass.
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Recreation and Wellness. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Recreation and Wellness Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the assistant director for fitness at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Group Fitness classes are included with all non-student memberships. Students must purchase a Fit Pass in order to attend classes.
Fit Passes or memberships must be purchased prior to attending first class during non-free weeks.
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first fitness class.
- If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
- If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within three business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Recreation and Wellness will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
- Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending first class.
- Cancellation policy - refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Recreation and Wellness staff. Refund prices will be determined on the number of classes attended.