Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Fall Group Fitness Schedule - classes begin August 26, 2019
|4:00-4:50 PM||Sculpt & Tone||A|
|5:00-5:50 PM||Upper Body Boot Camp||A|
|6:00-7:00 PM||Cardio Pilates||A|
|4:00-4:30 PM||HIIT: Total Body||A|
|4:00-4:30 PM||HIIT: Cycling||B|
|5:00-5:50 PM||Circuit Fitness||A|
|5:00-5:30 PM||Total Body Burnout||B|
|5:30-6:30 PM||Restorative Yoga||B|
|7:00-8:00 PM||Club FITz||A|
|Wednesday||4:00-4:50 PM||Sculpt & Tone||A|
|5:00-5:50 PM||Lower Body Boot Camp||A|
|6:00-7:00 PM||Total Body Toning||A|
|5:30-6:30 PM||Restorative Yoga||B|
|6:00-7:00 PM||Boot Camp||A|
|Friday||4:00-5:00 PM||FREE FITNESS FRIDAY*|
*Free Fitness Fridays
|September 20||Vinyasa Yoga||B|
|October 11||Circuit Training||A|
|November 8||Pilates Reformer||B|
|November 22||Circuit Training||A|
|December 6||Boot Camp||A|
The HIIT series include high intensity exercises in a short time. Each class is 30-45 minutes long.
- Indoor Cycling- 30-minute cycle workout to increase your endurance, speed and coordination on an indoor stationary bike.
- Core - This intense 30-minute workout focuses on the core and lower back to build midline stability and strength.
- Total Body - A high-energy, HIIT style workout that will target the lower body, upper body, and core through a variety of weighted and body weight exercises.
- Baila - Enjoy your workout while taking a musical trip about the world. Combining international dance rhythms with fitness variations, you'll get a great cardiovascular workout while learning new dance styles.
- Cardio Pilates - This new class features a blend of cardio and toning moves to both burn calories, work the major muscle groups, and improve flexibility! Using body weight only, workouts will incorporate HIIT, Pilates, and Tabata to achieve the maximum results possible!
- Club FITz - Dance fitness format that uses mostly hip hop music along with some Top 40 and Latin (search Club FITz on YouTube for examples) where we get a fun but KILLER workout while getting in touch with the inner dancer that inside of us all! No dance experience needed to take this class that boasts a JUDGE FREE ZONE 100% of the time!
- Cycling - Indoor cycling on a stationary bike to build endurance. This class takes place under black lights!
- Zumba™ - An exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- Barre - Hold, pulse and stretch your muscles in this full body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. This high-intensity but low-impact workout will strengthen your core, arms and legs all in one workout!
- Boot Camp - full-body workout that is perfect for all levels of fitness! It challenges you to push towards new limits! Using body weight, dumbbells, and other equipment, you will tone your muscles, build cardiovascular endurance, and improve flexibility.
- Circuit Fitness - An exciting blend of exercises, participants work in small groups to complete exercises that get more difficult (and shorter) as the session progresses, with each groups' teammates there to encourage one another along the way. Participants can expect to use any sort of exercise accessory in a given workout—Bosu Balls, jump ropes, medicine balls, Steps—anything but dumbbells.Lower Body Boot Camp - Don’t forget leg day! The weekly compliment to Upper Body Bootcamp, this class will target the Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Calves. Focus will be on strengthening the lower body using weight and body weight resistance.
- Lower Body Boot Camp - Don’t forget leg day! The weekly compliment to Upper Body Bootcamp, this class will target the Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Calves. Focus will be on strengthening the lower body using weight and body weight resistance.
- Sculpt and Tone - This class is designed to define, shape and tone your body while strengthening all major muscle groups.
- Total Body Toning - This new toning class will hit all the right muscles for the right amount of time! Workouts will feature a blend of HIIT, Tabata, kickboxing, bodyweight, and light dumbbell weight exercises to target and tone the entire body!
- Upper Body Boot Camp - This upper body workout will target biceps, triceps, shoulder, back, and core. Using a combination of equipment and body weight exercises, you will get a total targeted workout that will up your modd and leave you feeling strong!
- Restorative Yoga - A meditative practice focusing on breath work and relaxation. Movements through a variety of postures including standing balance, hip opening, and total back care will leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
- Vinyasa Yoga - Through a series of postures linked together, this dynamic class is often called a flow that is meant to get your heart pumping and fat burning. Moving through warrior and sun salutations is a key component. Come prepared to work through some deep stretching and experience a short relaxation period at the end of class!
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many
Sculpt and Tone
Restorative and Vinyasa Yoga
Boot Camp, Tabata
Total Body Toning, Cardio Pilates, HIIT Series: Core, Boot Camp
Cycling, Total Body Burnout
Zumba, Barre, Pilates Reformers
Body Tone, Bootcamp, HIIT: Total Body
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Recreation and Wellness. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Recreation and Wellness Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the Assistant Director for Fitness at email@example.com to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Group Fitness classes are included with all non-student memberships. Students must purchase a Fit Pass in order to attend classes.
Fit Passes or Memberships must be purchased prior to attending
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first Fitness Class.
|One Day Fit Pass (available only at the Rec Center kiosk)||$8 (kiosk only)|
|Unlimited Annual Fit Pass (available Fall only)||$60 *early bird price until 9/3|
|Unlimited Fall Fit Pass||$50|
|Unlimited Summer Fit Pass||$20|
|Fitness & Nutrition Bundle (includes Semester Fit Pass and Nutrition Coaching)||$69 (only available for Fall/Spring)|
** If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
**If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within 3 business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Recreation and Wellness will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending
Cancellation policy - Refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Recreation and Wellness staff. Refund prices will be determined