Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Spring Group Fitness will begin January 14, 2019
|5:00-5:45 PM||POP Pilates|
|5:00-5:45 PM||Pilates Reformer|
|6:00-6:50 PM||Upper Body Bootcamp|
|6:30-7:30 PM||Total Body Toning|
|12:15-12:45 PM||Stay Strong- Upper Body|
|4:00-4:50 PM||Step Interval|
|5:00-6:00 PM||Restorative Yoga|
|6:30-7:00 PM||HIIT: Total Body|
|WEDNESDAY||12:15-12:45 PM||Stay Strong- Core|
|4:00-4:50 PM||Barre Plus|
|5:00-5:30 PM||HIIT Series: SPIN!|
|6:00-6:50 PM||Lower Body Bootcamp|
|6:30-7:15 PM||Cardio Pilates|
|7:30-8:00 PM||Quick Core|
|12:00-12:45 PM||Vinyasa Flow Yoga|
|12:15-12:45 PM||Stay Strong- Lower Body|
|4:00-4:50 PM||Step Interval|
|5:00-5:45 PM||Body Tone|
|5:30-6:30 PM||Restorative Yoga|
|Friday||4:00 PM||FREE FITNESS FRIDAY*|
Free Fitness Fridays
|1-Feb||HIIT: Total Body||4:00-4:45|
|15-Feb||HIIT: Total Body||4:00-4:45|
|22-Feb||Cardio Blast & Core||4:00-5:00|
|1-Mar||HIIT: Total Body||4:00-4:45|
|8-Mar||HIIT: Total Body||4:00-4:45|
|29-Mar||Cardio Blast & Core||4:00-5:00|
The HIIT series include high intensity exercises in a short time. Each class is 30-45 minutes long.
- Spin - 30-minute cycle workout to increase your endurance, speed and coordination on an indoor stationary bike.
- Quick Core - This intense 30-minute workout focuses on the core and lower back to build midline stability and strength.
- Total Body - A high-energy, HIIT style workout that will target the lower body, upper body, and core through a variety of weighted and body weight exercises.
- Cardio Pilates - This new class features a blend of cardio and toning moves to both burn calories, work the major muscle groups, and improve flexibility! Using body weight only, workouts will incorporate HIIT, Pilates, and Tabata to achieve the maximum results possible!
- Cycle - Indoor cycling on a stationary bike to build endurance. This class takes place under black lights!
- Step Interval - A fun way to stay fit! This class combines step and strength training for a total body workout that focuses on all muscle groups. Modification given as needed.
- Zumba™ - An exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- Barre Plus - Hold, pulse and stretch your muscles in this full body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. This high-intensity but low-impact workout will strengthen your core, arms and legs all in one workout!
- Boot Camp - full-body workout that is perfect for all levels of fitness! It challenges you to push towards new limits! Using body weight, dumbbells, and other equipment, you will tone your muscles, build cardiovascular endurance, and improve flexibility.
- Butts & Guts - 30-minutes of strength and resistance training for a rock solid core and lower body
- Lower Body Boot Camp - Don’t forget leg day! The weekly compliment to Upper Body Bootcamp, this class will target the Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Calves. Focus will be on strengthening the lower body using weight and body weight resistance.
- Stay Strong - Improve functional strength for everyday living by using free weights, your body weight, stability balls, and more to challenge all of your muscles. Resistance training does more than just make your muscles stronger – it can also boost your metabolism, strengthen your bones, elevate your mood, and much more. Modifications given as needed.
- Total Body Toning - This new toning class will hit all the right muscles for the right amount of time! Workouts will feature a blend of HIIT, Tabata, kickboxing, bodyweight, and light dumbbell weight exercises to target and tone the entire body!
- Upper Body Boot Camp - This upper body workout will target biceps, triceps, shoulder, back, and core. Using a combination of equipment and body weight exercises, you will get a total targeted workout that will up your modd and leave you feeling strong!
- Pilates Reformer - Reformers are Pilates’ machines that use springs and pulleys to provide variable resistance to assist and challenge the body. You’ll develop core strength by working from the inside out, helping you build strength, flexibility endurance while improving your posture.
- POP Pilates - incredible fusion of ab-chiseling and total body defining moves choreographed to your favorite songs. This intense, mat-based workout challenges you to rhythmically flow from one exercise to the next, developing a rock solid core while leaving no muscle untouched. This format takes classical Pilates to the next level like you’ve never seen before
- Restorative Yoga - A meditative practice focusing on breath work and relaxation. Movements through a variety of postures including standing balance, hip opening, and total back care will leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
- Vinyasa Flow Yoga - Through a series of postures linked together, this dynamic class is often called a flow that is meant to get your heart pumping and fat burning. Moving through warrior and sun salutations is a key component. Come prepared to work through some deep stretching and experience a short relaxation period at the end of class!
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many
HIIT Series: Core, Zumba
Boot Camp, Tabata
Total Body Toning, Cardio Blast, HIIT Series: Core
Butts & Guts, Cycling
Zumba, Barre Plus, Pilates Reformers
Mary Beth Henning
Strength & Stretch, AGT
Mary Kate Welch
POP Pilates, Cycle
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Recreation and Wellness. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Recreation and Wellness Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the Assistant Director for Fitness at email@example.com to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Fit Passes must be purchased in advance online prior to attending
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first Fitness Class.
|One Day Fit Pass (available only at the SRC kiosk)||$8 (kiosk only)|
|Unlimited Annual Fit Pass (available Fall only)||$75|
|Unlimited Spring Mid-Semester Fit Pass||$25|
|Unlimited Summer Fit Pass||$20|
|Fitness & Nutrition Bundle (includes Semester Fit Pass and Nutrition Coaching)||$69 (only available for Fall/Spring)|
** If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
**If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within 3 business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Recreation and Wellness will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending
Cancellation policy - Refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Recreation and Wellness staff. Refund prices will be determined