Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Fall 2021 Group Fitness Schedule
|Monday||4:30-5:10 p.m.||Dance HIITs||Virtual|
|6-6:40 p.m.||Lower Body Boot Camp||Studio A and Virtual|
|Tuesday||8-8:40 a.m.||Danceworks||Studio A and Virtual|
|5-5:45 p.m.||Cycling||Studio B|
|6:30-7:10 p.m.||Dance Fitness||Studio A and Virtual|
|6-6:40 p.m.||Core||Studio A and Virtual|
|Thursday||5-5:45 p.m.||Cycling||Studio B|
|6:30-7:10 p.m.||Dance Fitness||Studio A and Virtual|
|Friday||4:30 p.m.||Free Fitness Friday||Studio B|
Free Fitness Friday
Try a virtual group fitness class for free every Friday! Check the NIU Calendar for streaming links.
Learn To Row
Ever want to use the rowing machine, but don't know how to use it? Enjoy using the rower, but want to improve fitness and technique on it? Try our new "learn-to-low" in a free 30-min, one on one session with one of our graduate assistant of fitness, Natalie, a former Division I rower in the B1G and 2020 Pocock All-America nominee. Email Natalie at firstname.lastname@example.org to signup and schedule a time.
- Dance Fitness - Enjoy your workout while dancing to various musical genres. Combining dance rhythms with fitness variations, you'll get a great cardiovascular workout while learning new dance styles.
- Cycling – Pedal through hills, sprints and more on a stationary bike. Exciting music and a challenging workout will help improve endurance, speed and cardiovascular health. This class takes place under black lights!
- Dance HIITs - This class is the ideal mix of fitness and dance! Using hit songs from past decades, this dance-based HIIT workout involves repeating simple dance moves to increase the heart rate (no burpees or push-ups!) Low and high-intensity options will be shown for each dance move. Stretching included at the end of class.
- Danceworks - Danceworks is a new dance fitness class! It combines upbeat music of all styles with fun dance fitness combos. This class is for everyone, no dance experience is required. Come and unleash the inner dancer in you!
- Barre - Hold, pulse and stretch your muscles in this full-body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. This high-intensity but low-impact workout will strengthen your core, arms and legs all in one workout!
- Core - This 30-minute workout focuses on the core, lower back, and hips to build midline stability and strength.
- Lower Body Boot Camp - Don’t skip leg day! This class will combine lower body movements and cardio exercises. The focus will be on strengthening the lower body using external and bodyweight resistance.
- Strong and Stretched - Using your body weight and hand weights, get a full-body workout plus stretching intermixed with the strength moves so you'll feel strong and stretched.
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the RecWell in-house Instructor Training Program before instructing.
|Caroline Melsa||Lower Body Strength, Good Morning Core|
|Kelly Heiman||Cardio Kickboxing|
|Leanne Kulchawik||Butts and Guts|
|Liz Rivera||Restorative Yoga, Zumba|
|Lynn Herrmann||Cardio Dance, Barre|
|Shelby Steffans||Lower/Upper Body Burn, Yoga|
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our virtual workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes is recommended.
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes in a virtual workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion, trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Recreation. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Recreation Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- Four weeks lecture/practical sessions virtually
- Option to shadow current Group Fitness instructor
- Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the assistant for fitness at email@example.com to sign up. Space is limited, advanced registration encouraged!
Group fitness classes are included with all non-student memberships. Students must purchase a Fit Pass in order to attend classes. You can purchase your Fit Pass online or register for classes individually.
Fit Passes or memberships must be purchased prior to attending first class during non-free weeks.
- If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
- If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within three business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Recreation and Wellness will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
- Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending first class.
- Cancellation policy - refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Recreation and Wellness staff. Refund prices will be determined on the number of classes attended.