Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Spring Group Fitness Schedule
Recreation Center - open to all students and members
|Monday||4-4:30 p.m.||Core and Balance||Rec A|
|4:30-5:20 p.m.||Baila||Rec B|
|5-5:50 p.m.||Lower Body Strength||Rec A|
|5:30-6 p.m.||Cycling||Rec B|
|6-7 p.m.||Club FITz||Rec A|
|6-7 p.m.||Sculpt and Tone||Rec B|
|7-8 p.m.||Total Body Training||Rec A|
|Tuesday||7:15-8 a.m.||Flexibility, Mobility and Balance||Rec B|
|4-4:30 p.m.||Core||Rec B|
|4-5 p.m.||Yoga||Rec B|
|4:30-5 p.m.||Kickboxing Express||Rec A|
|5-5:30 p.m.||HIIT Total Body||Rec A|
|5-5:30 p.m.||Strength and Stretch||Rec B|
|5:45-6:15 p.m.||Circuit Fitness||Rec A|
|6-6:30 p.m.||Butts and Guts||Rec B|
|Wednesday||4-4:45 p.m.||Body Tone||Rec A|
|4:30-5:20 p.m.||Barre||Rec B|
|5-5:50 p.m.||Upper Body Strength||Rec A|
|5:30-6 p.m.||Cycling||Rec B|
|6-7 p.m.||Club FITz||Rec A|
|6-6:30 p.m.||Core||Rec B|
|7-8 p.m.||Cardio Pilates||Rec A|
|Thursday||7:15-8 a.m.||Flexibility, Mobility and Balance||Rec B|
|4-4:45 p.m.||Bodyweight Work||Rec A|
|4-4:50 p.m.||Cardio Kickboxing||Rec B|
|5-5:45 p.m.||Total Body Toning||Rec A|
|5-5:50 p.m.||Zumba||Rec B|
|6-6:30 p.m.||Butts and Guts||Rec A|
|6-7 p.m.||Restorative Stretch||Rec B|
|7-7:30 p.m.||Core||Rec A|
|Friday||4:30 p.m.||Free Fitness Friday||Rec B|
*Free Fitness Fridays
|January 24||Boot Camp|
|February 21||Boot Camp|
|March 27||Pilates Reformer|
|April 3||Cycle and Core|
|April 10||Boot Camp|
|April 24||Pilates Reformer|
Anderson Hall - only open to Faculty, Staff and Community Members
|Monday||12:15-12:45 p.m.||Water Fitness||AN Pool|
|Tuesday||6:30-7 a.m.||Water Fitness||AN Pool|
|Noon-12:45 p.m.||Yoga||AN 130|
|4:45-5:30 p.m.||Zumba||AN 130|
|Wednesday||12:15-12:45 p.m.||Water Fitness||AN Pool|
|Thursday||6:30-7 a.m.||Water Fitness||AN Pool|
|4:45-5:15 p.m.||Core and Balance||AN 130|
|Friday||Noon-12:45 p.m.||Tabata||AN 130|
|12:15-12:45 p.m.||Water Fitness||AN Pool|
- Baila - Enjoy your workout while taking a musical trip about the world. Combining international dance rhythms with fitness variations, you'll get a great cardiovascular workout while learning new dance styles.
- Cardio Kickboxing - combines martial arts techniques with fast-paced cardio. This high-energy workout challenges both the beginner and elite athlete.
- Cardio Pilates - This new class features a blend of cardio and toning moves to both burn calories, work the major muscle groups, and improve flexibility! Using body weight only, workouts will incorporate HIIT, Pilates, and Tabata to achieve the maximum results possible!
- Club FITZ Hip Hop Dance Fitness - dance fitness format that uses mostly hip hop music along with some Top 40 and Latin where we get a fun but killer workout while getting in touch with the inner dancer that inside of us all! No dance experience needed to take this class that boasts a judge free zone 100% of the time!
- Cycling - Indoor cycling on a stationary bike to build endurance. This class takes place under black lights!
- Kickboxing Express – all the benefits of Cardio Kickboxing but in a shorter amount of time!
- Zumba™ - An exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- Mobility, Flexibility and Balance - increase mobility, flexibility and balance using various stretching techniques, body weight exercises, and stability exercises.
- Restorative Stretch - Move through a variety of postures and stretches to leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
- Yoga - This class may vary from flow to restorative and balancing. Connect your mind and body with yoga poses, balance, conscious breathing and relaxation.
- Barre - Hold, pulse and stretch your muscles in this full body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. This high-intensity but low-impact workout will strengthen your core, arms and legs all in one workout!
- Body Tone - 20 minutes of lower body, 20 minutes of upper body and 10 minutes of core work. This holistic class will allow you to work at your own strength level using hand weights and body weight so that you can focus on quality over quantity and leave the class feeling stronger and more reinvigorated than ever before!
- Bodyweight Work - Using almost only our bodyweight, we will work on toning and strengthening all major areas of our body. This class is great for transferring easy, effective exercises from the Rec to your room! Learn how to adapt exercises safely to your liking and level while breaking a sweat.
- Butts and Guts - Strength and resistance training focused on developing a rock solid core and lower body.
- Circuit Fitness - Puts the 'group' back in 'group fitness' with participants working together on different exercises--at the same time. The exercises get more difficult as a class goes by as the time spent on each exercises decreases.
- Core - This 30-minute workout focuses on the core and lower back to build midline stability and strength.
- Core and Balance – focuses on exercises to improve core strength and stability as well as overall balance
- HIIT Total Body - A high-energy, HIIT style workout that will target the lower body, upper body, and core through a variety of weighted and body weight exercises.
- Lower Body Strength - Don't skip leg day! This class will target the quads, hamstrings, glutes and calves. Focus will be on strengthening the lower body using weight and body weight resistance.
- Sculpt and Tone - This class is designed to define, shape and tone your body while strengthening all major muscle groups.
- Strength and Stretch – Strengthen and lengthen your entire body to improve the weak muscles and stretch the tight muscles!
- Tabata - 45-minute workout in cycles of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. This is a fast-paced, high-intensity interval training focusing on strength and cardio. No prior fitness experience necessary!
- Total Body Toning - This new toning class will hit all the right muscles for the right amount of time! Workouts will feature a blend of HIIT, Tabata, kickboxing, bodyweight, and light dumbbell exercises to target and tone the entire body!
- Upper Body Strength - This upper body workout will target biceps, triceps, shoulder, back, and core. Using a combination of equipment and body weight exercises, you will get a total targeted workout that will up your mood and leave you feeling strong!
Water Fitness - Strengthen and tone your body with no impact to your joints. This workout is a swimming blend of cardio and resistance training.
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the RecWell in-house Instructor Training Program before instructing.
Sculpt and Tone
Restorative and Vinyasa Yoga
Mobility, Flexibility and Balance
Boot Camp, Tabata
Total Body Toning, Cardio Pilates, Core, Boot Camp
Cycling, Total Body Burnout
Zumba, Barre, Pilates Reformers
Body Tone, Bootcamp, Total Body, Circuit Fitness
Tabata, Core and Balance
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Recreation and Wellness. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Recreation and Wellness Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the Assistant Director for Fitness at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Group Fitness classes are included with all non-student memberships. Students must purchase a Fit Pass in order to attend classes.
Fit Passes or Memberships must be purchased prior to attending
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first Fitness Class.
|One day Fit Pass (available only at the Rec Center kiosk)||$8|
|Unlimited annual Fit Pass (available fall only)||$75|
|Unlimited spring Fit Pass||$50|
|Unlimited summer Fit Pass||$20|
|Fitness and nutrition bundle (includes semester Fit Pass and nutrition coaching)||$69 (only available for fall/spring)|
** If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
**If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within 3 business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Recreation and Wellness will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending
Cancellation policy - Refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Recreation and Wellness staff. Refund prices will be determined