NIU Student Organization Reservation Policies
NIU Student Organizations
- Any recognized NIU student organization in good standing with Student Association may request use of Recreation and Wellness space.
- NIU student organizations are charged for facility supervision, janitorial service, etc., however, a rental fee may not be incurred.
- NIU student organizations may be required to provide additional insurance if the event or activity is deemed to be "high risk."
- NIU student organizations will be held responsible for all costs directly related to their rental.
- NIU student organizations may invite non-NIU participants for their respective rentals (additional charge may apply).
- NIU student organizations may be required to submit a roster of active members that will be using the space each semester (dance groups).
- Setup/takedown fees may apply for an activity that requires time beyond standard room setup or that may impact informal recreation times.
- Reservations require a university account number to charge through internal billing or through Accounts Receivable. Proof of an active university account is required before the reservation is finalized.
- Only NIU Student Association recognized student organizations are allowed to host informal dances at Recreation and Wellness
- Dance request should be submitted at least four weeks in advance.
- Note: Public Safety approval requires three weeks advance notice.
- Please review the On-Campus Student Organization Events Policy.
- All costs are estimated before the event occurs.
- Department/Group is responsible for all direct costs associated with the event including, but not limited to:
- Physical Plant work
- Damage (equipment and/or facilities)
- Additional supplies
- Detailed costs will be included in the final rental agreement.
- Renter Review – Please contact the assistant director of facility operations at 815-753-9353 for questions regarding cost agreements.
- All room/equipment set up requests should be requested during an event preparation meeting.
- CR will attempt to accommodate room and equipment set up requests, if feasible.
- Groups may provide their own equipment with the approval of CR designated representative.
- Additional costs may be incurred due to damages (equipment, facility, etc) during contracted time.
- Additional costs may be incurred due to the involvement of NIU physical plant tradesmen.
CR staff will determine staffing needs which are based on an assessment of programming and facility needs. General guidelines to assist in planning are as follows:
- Events using space during normal operational hours may not require additional staff unless requested by the organization reserving the space or if deemed necessary by CR.
- Events using space outside of normal operational hours will require a minimum of one CR Facility Supervisor and one building staff member.
- Depending on estimated event participants/spectators, CR may schedule additional staff.
- Aquatic facility usage requires a minimum of two lifeguards.
- A cancellation can occur up to 48 hours prior to the reservation without additional penalty.
- A cancellation made after 48-hours to the event may be charged 25 percent of the estimated contract.
- CR reserves the right to cancel any event subject to, but not limited to incomplete paperwork, misrepresentation of the event, failure to abide by NIU CR policies and other university policies.