NIU Student Organization Reservation Policies
- Any recognized NIU student organization in good standing with Student Government Association may request use of NIU Recreation space.
- NIU student organizations are charged for facility supervision, janitorial service, etc., however, a rental fee may not be incurred.
- NIU student organizations may be required to provide additional insurance if the event or activity is deemed to be "high risk."
- NIU student organizations will be held responsible for all costs directly related to their rental.
- NIU student organizations may invite non-NIU participants for their respective rentals (additional charge may apply).
- NIU student organizations may be required to submit a roster of active members that will be using the space each semester.
- Setup/takedown fees may apply for an activity that requires time beyond standard room setup or that may impact informal recreation times.
- Reservations require a university account number to charge through internal billing or through Accounts Receivable. Proof of an active university account or funds deposited through OASIS, is required before the reservation is finalized.
Dance and Late Night Events
- Only NIU Student Government Association recognized student organizations are allowed to host informal dances and late-night events in NIU Recreation facilities.
- Dance and late-night event requests should be submitted at least four weeks in advance.
- Note: Public Safety approval requires three weeks of advance notice.
- Please review the On-Campus Student Organization Events Policy.
- All costs are estimated before the event occurs.
- Department/group is responsible for all direct costs associated with the event including, but not limited to:
- Physical Plant work
- Damage (equipment and/or facilities)
- Additional supplies
- Detailed costs will be included in the final rental agreement.
- Contract fee
- Renter review - please contact the associate director of programs, Chrissy Tluczek at email@example.com regarding cost agreements.
- All room/equipment set up requests should be requested during an event preparation meeting.
- NIU Recreation will attempt to accommodate room and equipment set up requests, if feasible.
- Groups may provide their own equipment with the approval of NIU Recreation designated representative.
- Additional costs may be incurred due to:
- Damages (equipment, facility, etc) during the contracted time.
- The involvement of NIU physical plant tradesmen.
- NIU Recreation does not provide the use of sound systems or speakers. Requests for audio should be requested through Event Services in the Holmes Student Center.
NIU Recreation staff will determine staffing needs which are based on an assessment of programming and facility needs. General guidelines to assist in planning are as follows:
- Events using space during normal operational hours may not require additional staff unless requested by the organization reserving the space or if deemed necessary by NIU Recreation.
- Events using space outside of normal operational hours will require a minimum of one NIU Recreation Facility Supervisor and one building staff member.
- Depending on estimated event participants/spectators, NIU Recreation may schedule additional staff.
- Aquatic facility usage requires a minimum of two lifeguards.
- NIU Recreation reserves the right to cancel any event subject to, but not limited to incomplete paperwork, misrepresentation of the event, failure to abide by NIU Recreation policies and other university policies.
- Cancellations can be discussed with the associate director of programs at the time of the contract meeting. The organization is responsible for any costs incurred related to the event.