As a fee-paying NIU student from the DeKalb campus, you are automatically an NIU Recreation member for the current semester. A valid NIU OneCard is required to access the Recreation Center, Chick Evans Field House, Outdoor Rec Sports Complex.

If you are unsure whether you pay fees as part of your financial requirements for your current academic program, please check your MyNIU account. If a continuing student membership is accidentally purchased and a student membership already exists, there will be a $3 minimum charge or 5% whichever is greater deducted from the refund.

Continuing Students

If you're not enrolled at NIU for the current semester, or paying fees to the main DeKalb campus, but were enrolled for the previous semester, you're eligible for a continuing student membership. This includes summer breaks. Students cannot have two consecutive continuing student memberships. Annual continuing student memberships are not available.


Type Rate
Monthly $25
Summer $30


Get Membership

If you currently have an NIU OneCard from your previous semester as a student you will be able to log into your NIU Recreation account using your NIU email and password. Please contact the NIU Recreation Center at 815-753-0231 or with any questions or issues. You may also come into the Recreation Center with cash, check or credit card and your NIU OneCard and we can activate your membership today!

Frequently Asked Questions

I am taking classes, but my NIU OneCard is not working. What is wrong?

One of two things could be happening. First, if you have recently replaced a lost OneCard and then later found your old/original OneCard and are trying to use it, it will not work. After a OneCard has been replaced, the old/original card is deleted from the system. A deleted card will no longer work anywhere on campus. The second problem might be an issue you are having with the OneCard office. They can be reached at 815-753-9569 or through the OneCard office website.

Can I bring in a guest?

At this time guests are not permitted due to contact tracing- monthly memberships for $25 are available to all community members.

Can I charge program and service fees to my Bursar bill?

Not at this time. Recreation and Wellness accepts cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

Where can I park when I come to either the Recreation Center or Chick Evans Field House?

The parking lots in front of both the Recreation Center and Chick Evans Field House are for persons with blue and yellow parking passes. Except for metered parking, permits are required to park on campus. All RecWell members for the Recreation Center and Field House, must pick up a parking form at the Recreation Center service counter, and complete and submit it to Parking Services prior to purchasing a parking pass. There is a parking pass discount for NIU Recreation members.

Metered parking spaces are also available at the Recreation Center and are designated by large white signs. Anyone can park in the metered parking spots. Fees for metered spots are $.25 per 15 minutes, for up to two hours. The meter for the designated spots is located to the left of the front doors of the Recreation Center.

Parking along Stadium Drive East is for blue, yellow and brown permit parking. Lot K, located south of Stadium Drive, is designated for yellow, brown, and orange permit parking.

Visit Parking Services for more information and parking maps.

I am not taking classes on the DeKalb campus. Do I still have a student membership?

No. You must be paying student fees on the DeKalb campus to have a valid Recreation and Wellness membership. If you are not enrolled in classes for the semester, you can purchase a continuing student membership. Alumni memberships are available for NIU graduates.

I am a student with a spouse, partner in a civil union, domestic partner and/or dependent. Can I bring them with me to work out?

Yes. Memberships for spouses, partners in a civil union, domestic partners and/or dependents are available. You can also sign spouses, partners in a civil union, domestic partners and/or dependents under normal guest pass procedures.

I am not taking classes this semester or summer. Can I still have a student membership?

Yes. Students not enrolled for the current semester or the summer session can purchase a continuing student membership according to the information listed above.