The primary focus of my research agenda has been on understanding and treating intimate partner violence. Currently, my research concerns two related factors, relationship acceleration and future time perspective (foreshortened future) which may contribute to IPV. My research group is also looking at (1) victimization and re-victimization of women from the perspective of the characteristics they find attractive in mates; (2) sex role strain from the perspective of the conflicting pressures experienced by women and the mixed messages sent to men; (3) the effects of exposure to inter-parental aggression and (4) assessing outcomes of batterer intervention programs.
Frequently Taught Classes
- Psych 316 Psychopathology
- Psych 642 Personality Assessment (Adult)
- Price, B.J. and Rosenbaum, A. (in press). Batterer intervention programs: A report from the field. Violence and Victims.
- Rosenbaum, A. and Dowd, L.S. (2009). Domestic Violence. In Werth, J. L., Jr.,
Welfel, E. R., & Benjamin, G. A. H. (Eds.). The duty to protect: Ethical, legal, and professional considerations in risk assessment and intervention. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, pp. 79-94.
- Rosenbaum, A. & Kunkel, T. (2009). Group interventions for intimate partner violence. In K.D. O’Leary and E.M. Woodin (eds.) Understanding Psychological and Physical Aggression in Couples: Existing Evidence and Clinical Implications, Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, pp.191-210.
- Howells, N.L. & Rosenbaum, A. (2008). Effects of perpetrator and victim gender
on negative outcomes of family violence. Journal of Family Violence, 23,203-209.
- Rosenbaum, A., Rabenhorst, M.M., Reddy, M.K., Fleming, M.T., and
Howells, N.L. (2006). A comparison of methods for collecting self-report data on sensitive topics. Violence and Victims, 21, 4, 461-471.
- Rosenbaum, A., Walley, J.C., and Meyerson, L.A. (2003). Psychosocial interventions for intimate partner violence. In E.F. Coccaro (Ed.) Aggression: Psychiatric Assessment and Treatment. New York: Dekker.
- Rosenbaum, A. and Leisring, P.A. (2003). Beyond Power and Control: Towards an understanding of partner abusive men. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 34, 1, 7-22.
- Rosenbaum, A., Warnken, W.J., and Grudzinskas, A.J. (2003). Legal and ethical issues in the court mandated treatment of batterers. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment and Trauma, 7, 1 & 2, 279-305.
- Rosenbaum, A., Hoge, S.K., Adelman, S.A., Warnken, W.J., Fletcher, K.E. and Kane, R. (1994) Head Injury in partner abusive men. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 62, 6, 1187-1193.
- Appelbaum, P. and Rosenbaum, A. (1989) Does the duty to protect apply in the research setting? American
Psychologist, 44, (6), 885-894.
- Rosenbaum, A. (Principal Investigator) Biological factors in Marital Aggression,
2ROIMH44812 Funded by NIMH.
- Rosenbaum, A. (Principal Investigator) Neurological Factors in Marital Aggression,
IRO1MH44812 Funded by NIMH.
Professor, Clinical Psychology
Ph.D.: SUNY at Stony Brook, 1979