NIU’s Current Status and Plans for Summer and Fall
Feb. 10, 2021
There’s no doubt the past year has been unique and not what any of us could have anticipated, but I’m so pleased to send you into Thursday’s administrative break with some good news.
NIU’s leadership team is hopeful as they see gains being made in COVID-19 research — along with vaccine rollout regionally and beyond.
Our plan for the fall is to return to a “normal” semester as best we can. While there are still challenges to be worked on, we anticipate circumstances improving over the next few months.
For now, here’s what we’re planning for the Fall 2021 semester at NIU:
• Classes and learning support services will be primarily face-to-face.
• In-person events, activities and athletics events will be coming back.
• NIU will increase on-campus student numbers, and allow roommates!
• Hybrid and online classes and virtual assistance will still be available.
• Surveillance testing and Protecting the Pack responsibilities will continue.
Wearing a mask, washing your hands and physical distancing are going to be as important as ever moving forward. We strongly encourage you to receive the vaccine when you are eligible.
You can expect NIU to update you at least once a month as we look toward a return to normalcy.
Please note a few additional announcements coming in the near future:
• By mid-March, NIU will communicate specific plans for celebrating our May graduates. We are currently evaluating virtual programming or limited, in-person events.
• Similarly to before the pandemic, summer learning will be primarily online — aside from lab and clinical courses and possible research opportunities for faculty and students.
As you know, the approaches we take will require everyone’s patience as we continue to operate within local guidelines and adjust to changing conditions.
Please know our priority is your success and engagement!
Kelly Wesener Michael, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
Chief Student Affairs Officer and Dean of Students
Northern Illinois University