Presidential Teaching Professors
Teaching is the essential mechanism for attaining the educational goals of the university, therefore, outstanding teachers ought to be recognized by the university community. Further, tangible support of the efforts of great teachers ought to be a continuing interest of the university. Therefore, the title of Presidential Teaching Professor has been established. This title will not only recognize and honor past excellence in teaching, but will provide significant tangible support for current and future efforts. Each such professor will receive, along with a permanent salary increment, a support budget and some released time during an award period. Recommendations will be made by a Selection Committee. Appointments and grants will be awarded by the University President.
- individuals must have tenure and rank of full professor and have at least six years of service at NIU.
- Nominees should be acknowledged to be among the most notable teachers at the university with demonstrated continuous excellence in the teaching of under-graduate and/or graduate students.
- Individuals who have received the Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professor, Presidential Engagement Professor or Board of Trustees Professor Award may also be eligible for appointment as a Presidential Teaching Professor.
- Nominees may only apply for one presidential award per year.
- Professors nearing retirement from the university are eligible. If appointed, these individuals will receive the benefits and support fixed by the award for that part of the appointment period they are fully employed at NIU.
- Sitting members of the Selection Committee are not eligible for the appointment.
Nominations - October 6, 2017
- Submit nomination letters to electronically to Jeanne Ratfield at email@example.com.
- Nominations may be made by any individual, including the nominee, who is a current or former member of the university community (alumni, faculty, staff, students, administrators). External scholars and practitioners knowledgeable about the nominee’s qualifications may also nominate.
Complete Applications - November 10, 2017
- Following nomination, the Selection Committee will notify the nominees of their nominations.
- Upon notification the nominee, if interested, will prepare a portfolio that will include:
- list of references, especially including alumni from whom letters will be solicited
- an up-to-date resume
- brief essay (maximum of 1,000 words) written by the nominee expressing his or her educational philosophy and teaching goals
- other information considered relevant by the Selection Committee and requested of all nominees