Offering a Graduate Assistantship
|Original Policy Source||APPM Section IV Item 3|
|Policy Approval Authority||President|
|Effective Adoption Date||05-04-1992|
|Last Review Date||04-07-2014|
Faculty & Academics
- The Offering Letter: An offer of a graduate assistantship will be made by the administrative unit to which funds are allocated for this purpose. The student will be notified of such an offer by letter.
No offer may be tendered prior to a student’s admission to the Graduate or Law School.
If an offer is accepted, the original offering letter must be sent to Human Resource Services as an attachment to the Personnel Action Form (PAF).
Additional information as deemed appropriate by the appointing unit may also be included in this letter. Relevant hiring documents listed in the Human Resource Service Required Forms Matrix should be provided as attachments to the offer letter.
- Terms of Appointment. Graduate assistants are typically appointed for a semester, an academic year (August 16 through May 15), a summer session, or a full fiscal year (July 1 through June 30). If said appointment is for less than an academic term, the corresponding tuition waiver will be prorated according to the number of weeks of the appointment.
Approved by Graduate Council, May 4, 1992
Amended by Graduate Council, April 7, 2014
Editorial modification, June 30, 1997, July 1999 & October 2004; July 2010
- Policy Categories
- Board of Trustees
- Campus Safety / Security
- Ethics & Conduct
- Facilities / Real Estate
- Faculty & Academics
- Finance / Risk Management
- Governance / Administration
- Human Resources / Employment
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Communication
- Research Ethics / Intellectual Property
- Student Affairs
- Sponsored Funding/Grants and Contracts