Elimination of Academic Programs
|Original Policy Source||APPM Section III Item 20|
|Policy Approval Authority||University Council|
|Effective Adoption Date||04-06-1994|
|Last Review Date||10-16-2017|
Faculty & Academics
Principles Governing Consideration of Program Elimination
Whenever elimination of an academic program is under consideration, every effort shall be made to insure that all discussions and deliberations regarding program elimination are as open and inclusive as possible. In particular, regardless of the specific mechanisms and procedures through which these deliberations occur consistent with established principles of "shared governance," all members of the university community shall be explicitly invited, in as timely a fashion as possible, to make their views known to those charged with making the recommendation regarding retention or elimination of an academic program.
Principles Governing Reassignment of Tenured Faculty
In the event that an academic program is eliminated:
- The university shall make every effort to expedite reassignment of affected tenured faculty to compatible units on the campus.
- The Faculty Personnel Advisor and the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs shall be available to assist in making such reassignments as easy as possible for both individual faculty members and the academic units concerned.
- The Provost's Office shall actively assist deans and chairs to help insure that all such reassignments occur with a minimum of difficulty and disruption.
Approved by University Council, April 6, 1994
Editorial Modification, October 16, 2017
- Policy Categories
- Board of Trustees
- Campus Safety / Security
- Ethics & Conduct
- Facilities / Real Estate
- Faculty & Academics
- Finance / Risk Management
- Governance / Administration
- Human Resources / Employment
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Communication
- Research Ethics / Intellectual Property
- Student Affairs
- Sponsored Funding/Grants and Contracts