EngagePLUS Approved Programs
Certain NIU programs have been designated as "EngagePLUS approved," which means they have been preapproved to meet the criteria for EngagePLUS notations. When you successfully complete an EngagePLUS approved program, you’ll be eligible for a transcript notation in the appropriate category.
Experiences that have not been designated as EngagePLUS approved may be eligible for transcript notations, but you’ll need to supply more detailed information in the application.
Faculty and staff who would like to have a program or experience designated as EngagePLUS approved can apply by completing the EngagePLUS approved program application.
The following programs are open to all undergraduate students unless otherwise noted.
ArtistryThere are no preapproved programs available.
Career Related Work Experience
- The AVID Tutor field experience model is open to students seeking professional educator licensure.
- On-Campus Internship Program
- Educate U.S. – Urban Experience (open to College of Education students seeking professional educator licensure)
- Model Illinois Government
- Model United Nations
- University Honors and Alumni Association Externship (open to University Honors students)
- Honors Fellows is open to University Honors sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Honors House Leaders (open to University Honors students)
- Educate Global (open to College of Education teacher candidates seeking licensure in the areas of elementary, special, early childhood, middle level and physical education)
- Mentoring and Engaging thru Academic Success (METAS) peer mentoring program (open to METAS mentors)
- Educate U.S. – Rural Experience (open to College of Education students seeking professional educator licensure)
- Huskie Alternative Breaks
- Huskie Food Pantry Leadership Team
- Huskie Service Scholars (open to first-semester freshmen or first-year transfer students who are first-generation college students or eligible for a Pell Grant)
- McKearn Fellows Alternative Spring Break Service Trip (open to students in the McKearn Fellows program)
- Music and Memory
- Honors Scholars (open to University Honors students with at least 60 credit hours)
- Research Rookies (open to freshmen, sophomores and first-semester transfer students)
- Student Engagement Fund
- Summer Research Opportunities Program
- Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research