2018-2019 student summer permits are now available online. You can also purchase them in our office for an additional $10 fee. Permits that are purchased online are not subject to the additional $10 fee.
The type of permit that a student qualifies for is determined by student residential status.
Please note: We enforce parking regulations on campus much like any city. The fines assessed for parking violations can be costly. For example, the fine for parking in a handicap space without the proper permit displayed is $250, as set by state law! Please be careful to park in the appropriate lot and follow the parking regulations.
Available to commuting students. Commuting students are students not living in NIU residence halls. A reserved parking space may be available for an additional fee.
Available to students living inNIU residence halls. A reserved parking space may be available for an additional fee.
Evening/Limited Parking available to any student not living in university-owned housing.
Free parking option to any interested faculty, staff, student, or visitor. This allows you to park remotely in Lot C3 on the west side of campus (north of the Convocation Center).
Green permit holders may be required to move your vehicles from lot C3 prior to the start of large events held at the convocation center or for certain athletic events.
Snow Removal: When there is over two inches of snow, you may be required, through email, to move your vehicles to another location within C3.
Motorcycle permits are required for any motorcycle/scooter parked on campus. An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discount rate of $10 online or $20 in our officefor those with a valid parking permit. Green permit holders are excluded.
Motorcycles can only park in designated motorcycle parking areas, their own reservespace and pay parking spaces. For those who rent a reserve space and plan on parking their motorcycle in that space, Campus Parking Services must be notified so your motorcycle permit number can be added to the sign.
Motorcycles may utilize pay parking areas without a permit, but payment is required. Motorcycles parking in the visitor lot must pay to use this facility, regardless if a motorcycle has a permit, and must park in a designated motorcycle space.
Special Medical Permits
Medical conditions/information will not be shared.Students requiring special parking accommodations due to temporary medical reasons mustgeta note from a physician in order to receive three blue parking lots. The physician will determine the need for special parking permission and duration, to be granted on a semester by semester basis. Students who meet the Secretary of State's requirements and have obtained handicapped license plates or placards may be issued special medical parking permission with a copy of the placard or license registration. Campus Parking Services will assess a $15 fee for each special medical parking permission permit it grants to students who own a green parking permit.
Student Reserved Permits
- Reserved parking is designed for students who need or want to park closer, and have a consistent parking option.
- Reserved parking may be available for an additional fee.
- Reserved permit holders may also park in the colored lots that corresponds with the color on their reserved parking permit (yellow or orange).
- If an unauthorized vehicle occupies your reserved space, you will need to find available, legal, parking in a parking space corresponding to the color of your reserved parking permit.
- You may contact Campus Parking Services, at 815-753-1045, to report the unauthorized vehicle that is in your reserved space. You may choose to have the vehicle ticketed, or ticketed and towed at the vehicle owner's expense.
- Reserved parking permits are sold on a first come, first serve basis, with a limited number of spaces in each designated parking lot. Please be aware that purchasing a fall only reserved parking permit does not guarantee you will have a spot for the spring.
- Annual and fall reserved permits may be purchased either on-line or in office. Once a designated lot is full, you will have the option to either be placed on the waiting list, and purchase a different parking permit.
- Spring reserved permits will only be available for purchase in the office on a first come, first served basis.
- The type of reserved parking permit that you qualify for is based on your residential status. Please see the information below to determine which type of reserved parking permit you would qualify for.
Yellow Commuter Reserves
This permit is available if you are not living in a university owned residence hall. Reserved parking spaces are offered in the following lots: Lot 36, Lot A, Lot 2, Lot E, Lot S, Lot D, Lot 44, and Lot 20B.
Orange Resident Reserves
This permit is available if you are living in a university owned residence hall. A reserved parking permit may only be purchased for the parking lot that is closest to your residence hall. Reserved parking spaces are offered in the following lots: Lot E-Gilbert Hall, Lot D-Neptune Hall, Lot P- Stevenson Towers, and Lot X-New Hall.
Special Parking Permits
Students requiring special parking accommodations due to extenuating circumstances, but not health related, may file a Special Parking Permission Appeal at Campus Parking Services. These appeals will be reviewed by the Parking Appeals Committee. The decisions of the Parking Appeals Committee are final. Campus Parking Services may assess a $15 fee for each special parking permission permit it grants.
All NIU students can purchase their parking permits online. Our AIMS (Automated Issuance Management System) parking management system provides you convenient access to your parking account information. The ability to buy a permit, pay a ticket and look up your account information is at your fingertips by using your current student login ID and password.
Hang tags may be purchased annually or by semester. An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discounted rate by those with a valid vehicle permit (excluding green permits).
How to Purchase
- Online: Students are highly encouraged to purchase parking permits online. Permits will be mailed to the address you provide.
- No additional fee is applied for this option.
- In-Person: Campus Parking Services is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- There is an additional $10 fee applied to all permits purchased in person, excluding reserved permits.
- By Mail: Print and complete the Student Permit Purchase registration form. Mail the form and your check (payable to NIU) for the amount of the permit. You may also write "bill Bursar account" and initial below it. The parking permit will be mailed to you within three business days of receiving your order.
- There is an additional $10 fee applied to all permits purchased by mail, excluding reserved permits.
Mail the completed form to:
Northern Illinois University
Campus Parking Services
121 Normal Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
When purchasing a parking permit, four payment options are available:
- Bill the permit to your student Bursar account
- Credit card
- Check (in office or mail only)
- Cash (in office or mail only)
If you need to request that a change or an update be made to a vehicle that is associated with your parking permit follow these steps:
- Visit the AIMS website
- Select"my account" and log in using your university credentials
- Select your current NIU parking permit
- You will have the option to select either remove, add or edit your vehicle or license plate information
- Enter necessary information for your request, then select "request"
Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know if your request has been approved or denied.
Please note you are at risk of receiving tickets if a valid parking permit is not displayed in your vehicle. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us at 815-753-1045 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
121 Normal Road
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.