If you need only a short term parking can purchase a temporary permit. If you need short-term special parking for medical reasons please contact us.
- Available to employees and non-university personnel working on campus in a contractual arrangement.
- A vehicle displaying a blue permit can park in blue-designated spaces.
- Reserved parking may be available for an additional fee.
- Reserved permit holders may also park in blue-designated spaces.
- If an unauthorized vehicle occupies your reserved space, you will need to find available, legal, parking in a blue-designated space.
- You may contact Campus Parking Services to report the unauthorized vehicle that is in your reserved space. You may choose to have the vehicle ticketed or ticketed and towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
- Reserved parking permits may only be purchased online if you have had a reserved permit the previous year. Otherwise, you will need to purchase your reserved parking permit in the office.
- If you would like to upgrade your parking permit to a reserved permit, please contact Campus Parking Services at 815-753-1045.
- Motorcycle permits are required for any motorcycle/scooter parked on campus.
- An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discount rate of $10 online or $20 in office for those with a valid parking permit, (blue, brown, orange or yellow) issued for the same school year. Green parking permits are not eligible, since there is no cost to obtain the permit.
- Motorcycles can only park in designated motorcycle parking areas except for reserve parking and pay parking spaces.
- For those who have a reserve space and plan on parking their motorcycle in that space, Campus Parking Services must be notified so your motorcycle permit number can be added to the sign.
- Motorcycles may utilize pay parking areas without a permit, but payment is required.
- Motorcycles parking in the visitor lot must pay to use this facility, regardless if a motorcycle has a permit, and must park in a designated motorcycle space.
- All university employees can purchase their parking permits online. Our AIMS (Automated Issuance Management System) parking management system provides you convenient access to your parking account information. The ability to buy a permit, pay a ticket and look up your account information is at your fingertips by using your current employee login ID and password.
- Hang tags may be purchased annually or by semester. Blue window decals are available on an annual basis only. An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discounted rate by those with a valid vehicle permit (excluding green permits).
- We have a free parking option to any interested faculty, staff, student or visitor. Those who take advantage of this option will receive a green permit, which allows you to park remotely in Lot C3 on the west side of campus.
- "For NIU employees, the Board of Trustees authorized a plan through which the purchase of a parking permit can be made as a tax-free benefit through payroll deduction (excluding motorcycle permits). Payments may be deducted over as many as 12 pay periods depending on the permit purchased. This tax advantage does not apply to any other payment option.”
When purchasing a parking permit, four payment options are available:
- Payroll Deduction (After tax; Pre-tax is no longer available)
- Check (in office or mail only)
- Credit Card
- Cash (in office or mail only)
How to Purchase
- Online: Faculty and staff are highly encouraged to purchase parking permits online. Permits will be mailed to the address you provide.
- No additional fee is applied for this option.
- In-Person: Parking permits may be purchased at Parking Services, we are open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- There is an additional $10 fee applied to all permits purchased in person, excluding reserved permits.
- Group Method: Faculty and staff may also use the "group method" when submitting parking renewal forms. A department representative mails or brings in the completed forms for all the individuals. Make sure forms are completely filled out and signed to avoid delay in processing. Please provide the name and phone number of a contact person. We will call when the permits are ready for pick up. Renewal forms are available on our website.
- There is an additional $10 fee applied to all permits purchased via this method, excluding reserved permits.
- By mail: Print and complete the vehicle registration form (PDF). Mail the form and your check (payable to NIU) for the amount of the permit. You may also select payroll deduction preference. The parking permit will be mailed to you within three business days of receiving your order.
- There is an additional $10 fee applied to all permits purchased by mail, excluding reserved permits.
Mail the completed form to:
Northern Illinois University
Campus Parking Services
121 Normal Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
If you need to request that a change or an update be made to a vehicle that is associated with your parking permit follow these steps:
- Visit the AIMS website
- Select"my account" and log in using your university credentials
- Select your current NIU parking permit
- You will have the option to select either remove, add or edit your vehicle or license plate information
- Enter necessary information for your request, then select "request"
Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know if your request has been approved or denied.
Please note you are at risk of receiving tickets if a valid parking permit is not displayed in your vehicle. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us at 815-753-1045 or email@example.com.
121 Normal Road
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.