If you only need short-term parking, you can purchase a temporary permit. If you need short-term special parking for medical reasons please contact us.
- Available to employees and non-university personnel working on campus in a contractual arrangement.
- A vehicle displaying a blue permit can park in blue-designated spaces.
- Reserved parking may be available for an additional fee.
- Reserved permit holders may also park in blue-designated spaces.
- If an unauthorized vehicle occupies your reserved space, you will need to find available, legal, parking in a blue-designated space.
- You may contact Campus Parking Services at (815) 753-1045 to report the unauthorized vehicle that is in your reserved space. You may also contact the NIU Police at (815) 753-1212 after hours to report an unauthorized vehicle in your reserved space.
- Please notify Campus Parking Services if you plan on parking a motorcycle in the reserved space so that the motorcycle permit can be added to the reserved space sign.
- Reserved parking permits may only be purchased online if you have had a reserved permit the previous year. Otherwise, you will need to purchase your reserved parking permit in the office.
- Reserve holders may be issued a privilege card upon request. Privilege cards are only good for a specific reserve space as marked on the privilege card, and may not be used as a second permit by another person actively employed by or enrolled in the university. Reserved privilege cards should be displayed in accordance with the instructions noted on the card. Privilege cards are for infrequent and temporary use. Privilege cards may be revoked if abuse is found.
- Department reserve spaces are not to be purchased for individual employee use. Permit requests for individuals must be accompanied by written justification. Written justification for employees must come from the Dean or Associate Vice President level (or equivalent). Requests will be forwarded to the Director of Campus Services and or the Associate Vice President for Facilities Management and Campus Services for further consideration and approval or denial.
- If you would like to upgrade your parking permit to a reserved permit, please contact Campus Parking Services at 815-753-1045.
- Motorcycle permits are required for any motorcycle/scooter parked on campus.
- An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discount rate of $10 online or $20 in office for those with a valid parking permit, (blue, brown, orange or yellow) issued for the same school year. Green parking permits are not eligible, since there is no cost to obtain the permit.
- Motorcycles can only park in designated motorcycle parking areas except for 15-minute spaces, reserve parking and pay parking spaces.
- For those who have a reserve space and plan on parking their motorcycle in that space, Campus Parking Services must be notified so your motorcycle permit number can be added to the sign.
- Motorcycles may utilize pay parking areas without a permit, but payment is required.
- Motorcycles parking in the visitor lot must pay to use this facility, regardless if a motorcycle has a permit, and must park in a designated motorcycle space.
- All university employees can purchase their parking permits online. Our AIMS (Automated Issuance Management System) parking management system provides you convenient access to your parking account information. The ability to buy a permit, pay a ticket and look up your account information is at your fingertips by using your current employee login ID and password.
- Hang tags may be purchased annually or by semester. Blue window decals are available on an annual basis only. An annual motorcycle permit may be purchased at the discounted rate by those with a valid vehicle permit (excluding green permits).
- We have a free parking option to any interested faculty, staff, student or visitor. Those who take advantage of this option will receive a green permit, which allows you to park remotely in Lot C3 on the west side of campus.
When purchasing a parking permit, four payment options are available:
- Payroll Deduction (After tax; Pre-tax is no longer available)
- Check (in office or mail only)
- Credit Card
- Cash (in office or mail only)
How to Purchase
- Online: Faculty and staff are highly encouraged to purchase parking permits online. Permits will be mailed to the address you provide.
- No additional fee is applied for this option.
- In-Person: Parking permits may be purchased at Parking Services, we are open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- There is an additional $15 fee applied to all permits purchased in person, excluding reserved permits.
- Group Method: Faculty and staff may also use the "group method" when submitting parking renewal forms. A department representative mails or brings in the completed forms for all the individuals. Make sure forms are completely filled out and signed to avoid delay in processing. Please provide the name and phone number of a contact person. We will call when the permits are ready for pick up. Renewal forms are available on our website.
- There is an additional $15 fee applied to all permits purchased via this method, excluding reserved permits.
- By mail: Print and complete the vehicle registration form (PDF). Mail the form and your check (payable to NIU) for the amount of the permit. You may also select payroll deduction preference. The parking permit will be mailed to you within three business days of receiving your order.
- There is an additional $15 fee applied to all permits purchased by mail, excluding reserved permits.
Mail the completed form to:
Northern Illinois University
Campus Parking Services
121 Normal Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
If you need to request that a change or an update be made to a vehicle that is associated with your parking permit follow these steps:
- Visit the AIMS website
- Select"my account" and log in using your university credentials
- Select your current NIU parking permit
- You will have the option to select either remove, add or edit your vehicle or license plate information
- Enter necessary information for your request, then select "request"
Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know if your request has been approved or denied.
Please note you are at risk of receiving tickets if a valid parking permit is not displayed in your vehicle. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us at 815-753-1045 or email@example.com.
121 Normal Road
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.