The NIU Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), established in 2000, is a member-directed group of individuals primarily age 50+ who enjoy learning in informal, flexible, non-competitive groups and like connecting with peers who share their interests. No grades, no tests – just learning for the fun of it.
Our LLI is open to everyone, whatever your level of education or background. All you need is a sense of curiosity and a love of learning. Volunteers lead classes during each term and may be members or non-members.
- Members enjoy learning, sharing experiences and making new friends in LLI’s wide variety of study groups. Typical topic areas including history, music, science, politics, movies, travel and more.
- Each semester fee entitles you to attend as many study groups as you wish during the term; it’s an all-you-can-learn buffet.
Spring 2023 Classes
The spring 2023 term will run from March 14 through May 9, 2023. LLI will be offered in person for the spring 2023 term. LLI will be following NIU's safety protocols and guidelines. For more information, visit the NIU Protecting the Pack web page.
Courses will be held on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings and afternoons for 8 weeks. Participants will receive email communications about courses and locations each week.
All parking passes can be purchased at https://prkapp.niu.edu. Parking offers a variety of options for LLI attendees:
- NIU retirees can purchase an annual parking pass for $10. When purchasing a parking pass online, be sure to select Retiree Permits.
- Non-NIU retirees can purchase a 3-month pass online.
- Alternatively, visitors may purchase a daily pass for $6.00 or $12.00 for the week.
Tuesdays, March 14 to April 4:
Tuesdays, April 11 to May 9:
Wednesdays, March 15 to April 5:
Wednesdays, March 15 to May 3:
- Notables, 1-2:45 p.m. (March 15 – May 3, class on April 12 will take place on Zoom)
Thursdays, March 16 to April 6:
Thursdays, April 13 to May 4:
Attendance at any or all LLI programs this season is $85.00 per person.