Lifelong Learning Institute
The NIU Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), established in 2000, is a member-directed group of individuals primarily age 50 +who enjoy learning in informal, flexible, non-competitive groups and like connecting with peers who share their interests. No grades, no tests – just learning for the fun of it.
Our LLI is open to everyone, whatever your level of education or background. All you need is a sense of curiosity and a love of learning. Volunteers lead classes during each term and may be members or non-members.
- Members enjoy learning, sharing experiences and making new friends in LLI’s wide variety of study groups. Typical topic areas including history, music, science, politics, movies, travel and more.
- Each semester fee entitles you to attend as many study groups as you wish during the term; it’s an all-you-can-learn buffet.
Fall 2020 Classes
The fall 2020 term runs from Sept. 15 through Nov. 5, 2020, with six unique learning experiences each week held online via Zoom. Learn about how we're using Zoom for the Lifelong Learning Institute.
Tuesdays, Sept. 15 to Nov. 3
- The National Barn Dance, 1924-1933 Era, 10 to 11 a.m.
- Traveling with Waldemar through Art History, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, Sept. 16 to Nov. 4
- Eight American Stories, 10 to 11 a.m.
- Notables, 1:30 to 2:45 p.m.
Thursdays, Sept. 17 to Nov. 5
- Election Year Politics: 2020 Edition, 10 to 11 a.m.
- The Truth and Life of Myth, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Attendance at any or all LLI programs this season is $25 per person.