- Center for P-20 Engagement
- Lifelong Learning Institute
Lifelong Learning Institute
The NIU Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), established in 2000, is a member-directed group of individuals primarily age 50+ who enjoy learning in informal, flexible, non-competitive groups and like connecting with peers who share their interests. No grades, no tests – just learning for the fun of it.
Our LLI is open to everyone, whatever your level of education or background. All you need is a sense of curiosity and a love of learning. Volunteers lead classes during each term and may be members or non-members.
- Members enjoy learning, sharing experiences and making new friends in LLI’s wide variety of study groups. Typical topic areas including history, music, science, politics, movies, travel and more.
- Each semester fee entitles you to attend as many study groups as you wish during the term; it’s an all-you-can-learn buffet.
Spring 2021 Classes
The spring 2021 term runs from March 16 through May 6, 2021, with six unique learning experiences each week held online via Zoom. Learn about how we're using Zoom for the Lifelong Learning Institute.
Tuesdays, March 16 to May 4
- Spanish with Convener Jan Modloff, 10 to 11 a.m.
- America’s Empire with Convener Dan Dillman, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. (4 week class)
- Names on the Land with Convener Dan Dillman, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. (4-week class, begins April 13)
Wednesdays, March 17, March 31, April 14 and April 28
- Potpourri, 10 to 11 a.m.
Wednesdays, March 24, April 7, April 21 and May 5
- Book Discussion: Educated by Tara Westover with Convener Kathie Robinson, 10 to 11 a.m.
Wednesdays, March 24 to May 5
- Notables, 1:30 to 2:45 p.m.
Thursdays, March 18 to May 6
- Revisiting the Vietnam War with Convener Eric Jones, 10 to 11 a.m.
- The Art of Public Speaking: Lessons from Famous Speeches in History with Convener Jitka Hurych, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Attendance at any or all LLI programs this season is $25 per person.