- Nominees must be full- or part-time status civil service employees who have been continuously employed at NIU since February 1, 2014, or before.
- Employees who were laid off, on leave or who hold fewer than 12-month positions are eligible.
- Employees who will retire before July 1, 2020, are eligible.
- The award may only be received once by an employee.
Nominees are evaluated on ways in which they perform above and beyond the expectations of the nominator in the following areas:
- On the job
- Consists of 40 percent of the evaluation.
- Displays abilities that are above and beyond the expectations of the nominator in the duties associated with their position.
- Within the university
- Consists of 40% of the evaluation.
- Makes contributions to the university and/or demonstrates effectiveness that is above and beyond expectations of the nominator in dealing with members of the university community.
- Within their community
- Consists of 20% of the evaluation.
- Makes contributions to or actively participates in their community.
- To nominate someone for this award, you must complete and submit a nomination packet no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, February 5, 2021.
- All nominations are reviewed by a selection committee composed of NIU civil service employees who are designated representatives of their respective divisions and/or past recipients of this award.
- Up to four recipients are selected each year.
How To Nominate An Employee
- Complete the nomination form.
- Provide one letter of nomination and two additional letters supporting the nomination based on the criteria listed above. Please make sure all three nomination criteria are addressed and give specific examples. You are encouraged to ask your nominee to supply further information if needed.
- Current or retired NIU employees are eligible to write a letter. One of the letters may be from a non-NIU employee. Additional letters will not be reviewed.
- Email a PDF of the complete packet to the address on the nomination form. The nomination form, nomination letter and letters of support should be typed or written/printed legibly.
- The complete nomination package (nomination form, one nomination letter and two letters of support) must be received all at once in one PDF file, not separately. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered.
- If more than one nomination packet is submitted for the same employee, only the first nomination packet received will be reviewed.