First-Year Orientation (Summer)
Orientation programs for students starting at NIU in the summer 2018 semester.
Things to know about orientation:
- Attendance at a complete orientation program is mandatory, partial attendance does not fulfill your requirement.
- You must pay your confirmation fee of $155 in order to confirm your admission to NIU and to make an orientation reservation.
- Orientation is when you meet with your advisor and register for classes. You can’t register for classes without attending orientation first.
At orientation, you’re also going to:
- Understand your academic expectations, graduation requirements and responsibilities
- Meet and begin to build a relationship with your academic advisor
- Begin to learn about the tools and resources designed to help you be successful
- Become familiar with the campus environment, both physical and online
- Identify how you want to get engaged and involved at NIU
- Meet and begin to make friends with other new students
- Increase your awareness of issues that could impact your time at NIU and learn about resources and strategies for success
- Learn what it means to be an NIU Huskie—a member of an inclusive community
Contact UsOrientation and Family Connections
Holmes Student Center 605
DeKalb, IL 60115