Region V OSHA Heat Initiative Webinar Series
Act Now to Prevent Heat Illness at Work
This three-part webinar series has already passed and recordings are available. Employees exposed to extreme heat and humid working conditions are at risk - both indoors and outdoors. These training sessions offer critical guidance on how to identify heat stress, how it affects the human body, and how to prevent it on the job.
- Welcome and Opening Remarks with Douglas L. Parker, assistant secretary of labor, USDOL OSHA. Discuss the importance of OSHA’s Heat Illness Prevention Campaign
- Basics of Occupational Exposure to Heat with Douglas Trout, M.D. NIOSH Office of Construction Safety and Health. Learn to recognize the sources as well as signs and symptoms of heat-related illness and become familiar with elements of a workplace heat illness prevention program.
- OSHA National Emphasis Program: Outdoor and Indoor Heat-Related Hazards with Gary Orr, Office of Health Enforcement, USDOL OSHA. Overview and how to comply with OSHA’s new heat emphasis program designed to identify, eliminate, and reduce worker exposures to work-related heat illness in general industry, construction, maritime and agriculture.
- Overview of enforcement of heat stress case(s) with Bogdan Catalin, Ph.D. Industrial Hygienist, USDOL OSHA. Overview of enforcement heat stress cases highlighting the importance of being acclimatized and recognizing the signs and symptoms of heat stress and providing timely first-aid.
- Strategies and Best Practices to prevent Heat Illness at Work with Melissa Linton, compliance assistant specialist, USDOL OSHA. Heat stress abatement strategies, training resources and how heat stress can be prevented.
- Heat Stress and Employer Readiness with Brian Bothast, compliance assistant specialist, USDOL OSHA.Virtual test of your heat illness prevention program.
How to View Recordings
You will be redirected to NIU Continuing and Professional Education learning management system. As you select the "view recordings" link, please follow the below steps:
- Visit NIU’s Continuing and Professional Education learning platform website.
- Select "click to enter the course."
- Create a new account following the directions under "Is this your first time here?"
- Confirm your new account via email (the confirmation email will be sent within 15 minutes of creating an account).
- Navigate to OSHA Heat Prevention Series
- No enrollment key is needed to access this three-part series.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the login process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By creating an account with NIU Continuing and Professional Education, you will automatically be able to access all webinar sessions when they take place.
Hosted by: A Collaborative Partnership of OSHA Region V and the NIOSH Office of Construction Safety and Health, National Safety Education Center, Great Lakes Regional OSHA Education Center, Mid-America OSHA Education Center, Northern Illinois University, Chicagoland Construction Safety Council, Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, Indiana Department of Labor, Illinois On-Site Consultation, WisCon, Ohio On-Site, Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity