Other HR Professionals?
Business is changing and employers are demanding that HR professionals adapt to that change. Investing in continuing education should be a critical component of your formula for success. NIU’s professional continuing education programs will help you earn the credibility and recognition you deserve.
Whether you’re new to HR or have a few years of experience, Northern Illinois University has the tools you need to advance your career and confidently handle your organization’s complex HR issues
For the past 20 years, Northern Illinois University has partnered with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to provide exceptional, high quality professional development opportunities for HR professionals.
New to HR?
This 2 day course is ideal for new and junior level HR professionals, business owners and office managers, managers and supervisors with employee management responsibilities and HR professionals seeking a “refresher” to stay abreast of current HR knowledge and competencies. This engaging and interactive program addresses the complex, real-world and legal issues you face and is a must for anyone who manages people. Knowing the basics of HR practice and law can make you a better manager, improve workplace morale and employee performance, and protect your organization from needless litigation.
Topics covered in this program include:
- Human Resources (Understanding the HR Function)
- Talent Acquisition (Attracting and Selecting Employees)
- Total Rewards (Key Elements of a Total Compensation System)
- Learning and Development (Orientation, Development and Training)
- Performance Management (Purpose and Process for Performance Management)
- Employment Law (Application of Key HR Legislation)
Experienced HR Professionals
HR Certification is the route for you – and the SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-CP® and SHRM-SCP® Certification Preparation Course will help you get there.
Demonstrate that you have the competencies and knowledge to be a top notch HR professional when you earn the new SHRM-Certified Professional (CP®) and SHRM-Senior Certified Professional (SCP®) credentials. This new standard in HR Certification will help establish you as a strategic, globally-recognized HR leader.
Topics covered in this program include:
- HR Competencies (Leadership & Navigation, Ethical Practice, Business Acumen, Relationship Management, Consultation, Critical Evaluation, Global and Cultural Effectiveness, Communication)
- People (Strategic Planning, Talent Acquisition, Employee Engagement, Learning & Development, Total Rewards)
- Organization (Structure of the HR Function, Organizational Effectiveness, Workforce Management, Employee Relations, Technology Management)
- Workplace (HR in the Global Context, Diversity & Inclusion, Risk Management, Corporate Social Responsibility, Employment Law & Regulations)
- Strategy (Business)
For the past 12 years Northern Illinois University’s Professional HR Certification programs have been recognized as one of SHRM’s “Top 20” University programs with pass rates that consistently exceed national averages. Our SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-Certified Professional (CP®) and SHRM-Senior Certified Professional (SCP®) Certification Preparation Courses will help you achieve your goal of earning the prestigious SHRM credentials.
HR Strategies and Solutions programs will help you strengthen your leadership skills, stay up-to-date on best management practices, and earn professional development credits required for retention of numerous HR related certifications.
Benefits of Enrolling in NIU courses:
- Courses are offered at convenient locations throughout northern Illinois
- A variety of course formats accommodate busy schedules and learning styles
- A team of certified practitioner instructors bring a wealth of real-world, practical experience to the classroom
- Peer networking
- Cost effective learning – Course fees are inclusive of all instructional materials
- Award of Continuing Professional Development Units and Certificates of Completion
- Certification Preparation courses are approved for Workforce Investment Act (WIA) funding for qualified unemployed candidates.
Complete the form below to receive information about our Human Resources courses.
Donna Mann, Director
Registration by phone
Call 815-753-0277 or
Toll Free 800-345-9472
Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (CST) for live assistance.
All cancellation and transfer requests must be in writing. Email Outreachregistration@niu.edu or fax 815-753-6900.
Visit our sponsoring HR chapters
Visit us at illinoisfoxvalley.shrm.org
Visit us at www.rashrm.org
Visit us at nishrm.org
Visit us at grundywill.shrm.org
Visit us at www.dshrm.org
Visit us at sschra.shrm.org/