STEAMing It Up Conference
Professional Development for Educators
January 16-17, 2020
NIU - Naperville
Naperville, IL 60563
As science, technology, engineering, the arts and math become more interconnected within our schools, teachers are often left wondering how to incorporate STEAM into their classroom while still aligning lessons to state standards and preparing their students for college and careers. Illinois State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and ISTE Standards dictate that students need to be prepared for a world focused on innovation, creativity, and critical thinking. Join the NIU STEAM team, NIU faculty, experienced classroom teachers, and STEAM experts at the two-day STEAMing It Up! Conference to learn how to meet those needs. Each day, you will be inspired and learn new ideas you can implement in your classroom right-away.
What to Expect
You will experience interactive lessons, learn about aligning STEAM to standards, network and attend idea-sharing sessions; along the way, you will discover learning resources for engaging your students through STEAM. Breakfast and lunch is provided with your daily registration. Professional development hours are also available.
Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Join us at 8:30 a.m. for a continental breakfast and keynote presentation. Watch this space for our exciting keynote announcement coming soon.
In the morning and afternoon, you can attend a wide range of one-hour breakout sessions.
Breakout sessions include:
- How to create literature-inspired STEAM mini-activities
- Teaching with infographics
- Designing engineering challenges
- Makerspace activities
- Using the design cycle across the curriculum
- Engaging the community through STEAM programs
- Blogging in the classroom
- Using fiction to teach computational thinking
- STEAM and picture books for all ages
- Making career connections
- Building growth and persistence through failure-based learning
Friday, Jan. 18, 2020
8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Dig deeper on Friday with two-hour workshops throughout the morning followed by a lunch and interactive teacher panel. Breakfast and networking start at 8:30 a.m. with workshops beginning at 9 a.m.
During lunch, you will hear from a group of teachers who have successfully launched STEAM programs in their schools.
Workshop topics include:
- Introduction to project-based learning for all grade levels
- Creating videos with your students
- Implementing STEM Read programming at your school
- Creating standards-based STEAM lessons
- Creating digital visual poetry
- Augmented and visual reality in the STEAM classroom
- Educator + Student Programs