Co-directed by Gregory Beyer and Ben Wahlund, the award-winning NIU Percussion Ensemble is the principal vehicle through which NIU percussion students gain critical chamber music experiences and cover a wide variety of genres and musical instruments. In addition to its performances each semester, community engagement concerts include Transformation Through Rhythm, an annual fundraiser for the Hospice's sister organization in Knysna, South Africa.
NIU has established a proud history of multiple Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC) performances:
- New Literature Showcase (2018).
- Percussion Ensemble Showcase (2003, 2009).
- Focus Day Performances (2009, 2013).
- World Percussion Showcase (2014).
Additional notable performances include the International Festival of Percussion Ensembles in San José, Costa Rica (2008, 2017) and the Illinois Chapter of the Percussive Arts Society (ILPAS) in 2005, 2009 and 2017.
- Steve Reich's Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ
- Steve Reich's Drumming, part 1
- Iannis Xenakis's Okho
- Robert Chappell's Algorhythm
- Akira Nishimura's Kecak
- Edgard Varese's Ionisation
- John Cage's First Construction
- Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales (arr. Ben Wahlund)
- Ben Wahlund's Firefly Jamboree
- Gregory Beyer's KB3 IH 1947
- Erik Griswold's Strings Attached
- Gregory Beyer's Five Ponds