- Military and Post-Traditional Student Services
- Military Student Resources
- Support Services for Military Students
- Counseling Resources
Campus Life 200
- Provides daytime emergency coverage for individuals and on-call crisis intervention when offices are not open.
- Provides crisis intervention for living units (e.g., residence halls, fraternity houses, etc.) in the event of a student death, including death of a former student serving in military service. (It should be noted that the various campus ministries are available and willing to hold memorial services in the event of the death of former students who are in the military service.)
- Provides referrals for students seeking therapy who need to leave the university.
Graham Hall 416
- Provides counseling services to NIU students, faculty, and staff, as well as to the DeKalb community.
- Provides general evaluations, assists with relaxation techniques, self-esteem building skills, communication and relational skills, individual and relationship counseling, and the like.
Wirtz Hall 146
- Provides services to students, faculty, and staff at NIU, as well as individuals, couples, and families who live in the surrounding communities of DeKalb, on a wide range of difficulties.
Psych-Math Building 86
- Provides high quality mental health resources to residents of northern Illinois.
- Provides opportunities for research on empirically supported treatment outcomes.
7015 Rote Road, Suite 105
Rockford, IL 61107
Normal working hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. In an effort to better serve the veteran and family members, upon request Vet Centers will provide services after normal working hours and/or on weekends.
750 Shoreline Drive, Ste. 150,
Aurora, IL 60504
- Jesse P. Waltz, LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist) can be reached each Monday at the DeKalb County Veterans Assistance Commission, 2500 North Annie Glidden Road, Suite A, DeKalb. His phone number is 630-585-1853 x77303 or email: Jesse.Waltz@va.gov
- Three mental health clinicians work out of the DuPage County Vet Center in Aurora free of charge for Combat Veterans and their families and significant others. Services include Individual, Marital, Family and Group Counseling.
2550 N. Annie Glidden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides services and financial aid to military veterans and their families who reside in DeKalb County and qualify for and need assistance.
Provides assistance in the preparation of Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) forms and other documents, which relate to benefits available to veterans and their dependents.
Provides advocacy service to military veterans and their families in applying to the proper local, state, and federal agencies to procure benefits for: employment, food stamps, Public Aid, counseling, and Social Security.
Has an Emergency Financial Assistance Program.
Provides non-emergency transportation to and from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers for veterans residing in DeKalb County who are in need of medical treatment.
12 Health Services Drive
DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides mental health counseling for issues such as depression, relationship problems, anxiety, and family and marital conflict.
Provides comprehensive assessment of alcohol and drug use with a variety of outpatient and inpatient treatment options.
A 24-hour emergency on-call therapist is available for emergency situations.
760 Foxpointe Drive
Sycamore, IL 60178
Provides individual therapy
Provides substance abuse therapy
Provides therapy on family matters
Anonymous online screening for mental health and alcohol disorders
Launched in 2011, MakeTheConnection.net connects veterans, their family members and friends and other advocates with mental health information, local resources, and inspiring stories of recovery. Visitors can find reliable information on how to cope with challenges such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury, military sexual trauma, and transitioning from service. The site is free and accessible to everyone.
Resources and expert advice for parents who want to help and support their college students.