- Military and Post-Traditional Student Services
- Military Student Resources
- Support Services for Military Students
- Military Student Advocacy
Military Student Advocacy
The Department of Military Student Services is available to make referrals to campus resources, the DeKalb County Veterans Assistance Commission, and other veterans' services offices throughout Illinois. We also assist military students in processing forms, understanding procedural requirements, and certifying enrollment for federal and state benefits.
In addition, military students can seek assistance from NIU's Ombudsperson and the DeKalb County Veterans Assistance Commission.
- Provides confidential assistance and advice regarding university-related concerns.
- Identifies and explains pertinent policies and procedures.
- Suggests options and strategies for resolution.
2550 N. Annie Glidden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
- Provides services and financial aid to military veterans and their families who reside in DeKalb County and qualify for and need assistance.
- Provides assistance in the preparation of Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) forms and other documents, which relate to benefits available to the veteran and his/her dependents.
- Provides advocacy service to military veterans and their families in applying to the proper local, state, and federal agencies to procure benefits for employment, food stamps, public aid, counseling and social security.
- Has an Emergency Financial Assistance Program.
- Provides non-emergency transportation to and from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers for veterans residing in DeKalb County who are in need of medical treatment.